Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys may have seen this scam before, but it almost got me today. I'm selling my 1000RR and I got these emails yesterday and last night. Check them out.

First email:
Hello my name is abeeb rudy ,i saw ur advert placing on internet i will like to purchase it and make my payment in united state postal money order or cashier check. if this suit ur purpose kindly send it last price condition and the current pics if available, urgent respond needed. thanks

Second email:
Thanks for the mail, the price is okay by me and i am ready to purchase from you immediately, i am ok with your price for the(2004 Honda},and i want you to deletethe ad from the website, ihave a reputableshipper thatwill takecare of shipping from yourend i want to let you know i have aclient in the state that isoweing me a sum of $16,000 i will instruct him to issue you a united state cashier check on my behalf and as soon as united state cashier check arrives, you holdout your amount and send the difference to my shipper THROUGH WESTERNUNION for the pick up in your place, i hope i can trust you for mybalance??? and also you will be contacting myshipper with all neccesary information needed for pick up inyour place i.e the actual weight and exact dimension of the{ 2004 Honda) . if this terms are okay b y you, do get back to me with thefollowing details with payment be made out to you like this
Home Address...
Full Name on united state cashier
chec! k...
State...
Zipcode...
Country...
Telephone Nu mb er... Mobilephone number...
Fax Number..

I was alerted to an article in roadracing world http://www.roadracingworld.com...taken/ and immediately stopped contact with the buyer. Scams are always getting tougher to spot. Be careful out there.

BTW - Here's a pic of my bike for sale

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Almost got scammed! (1KRR)

Looks similar to me...I listed my car on Craigs List not too long ago and recieved similar emails.

After some exchanges, the guy said that he lived in Dublin, Ireland. I knew that he was trying to scam me, but he chose the wrong location because I was in Dublin in January and my girlfriend goes to Trinity College in Dublin
So to play with him I told him about this and that he could just give the money to her and she'll transfer it to me via paypay instead of sending me too much money (car price plus shipping cost) via Western Union. He never replied...too funny

It's sad that people out there have resorted to these scams

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Almost got scammed! (Tifosi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tifosi »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's sad that people out there have resorted to these scams
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's sad that people keep falling for them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Almost got scammed! (Red)

first things first ,,
i ask for a contact # , more than one .. then I call , if i don't hear what i like then
I'm done ..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

and i thought i couldnt spell! That is a crazy email
I just dont get how they want to send you more $ than the price of the bike, what buyer ever wants to send extra $, that would be a dead give away! or the abeeb part!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Almost got scammed! (neolover996)

there is whole new culture which kinda grew out of these scams-- entertaining yourself by scamming these doushbags back. its tons of fun. you let the guy think you're interested, have them send a fake check, then pretend you didn't get it and make them send another, play dumb and pretend you don't understand what they want, then ask for more money, etc etc. gives me a chance to be creative while taking the time and resourses of the scammer. I had a set of wheels listed in local paper and got one of those emails. I sent the dude the address of local police dept economic crimes division, so his fake check will be coming directly to the cops.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn. I wish I would have known about the scambaiters' methods earlier. I would have had more fun with this. And, I should have stopped at "abeeb."

Giannis - thanks, i'm asking $10.5K. I know it sounds like a lot, but...without trying to hard to sound like a salesman...it's in showroom condition, less than a 1000 miles on it, clean title, never raced or dropped. Includes: Arrow full titanium exhaust system, BMC race air filters, PCIII USB, Goodridge Kevlar brake and clutch lines, Woodcraft rear sets (reverse shift), Dunlop D208s, frame sliders, Greggs Custom turn signals and a McCoy Motorsports custom integrated LED taillight. I also removed the flapper valve to get better airflow. The stock black paint job was too dull so I had a custom metallic/pearl black paint job done at the end of last year. OK...that sounded like a sales pitch...sorry.

I'm building a SV650 racebike/program with the proceeds.

Modified by 1KRR at 3:26 PM 4/29/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (1KRR)

This may sound stupid, but what are they actually trying to do with this scam? Are they laundering money, or do they really expect someone to ship their bike prior to the check clearing? If I'm selling something of value, it doesn't leave my posession until any and all funds have cleared. I guess there are people out there stupid enough to give up the bike before the money clears?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From what I've read, the international check will clear. The money seems to be in your account, you forward the difference via wire to the buyer/shipper and release the bike. The bank will later find it to be fake and take the money back. The bike is gone...and you are out the money you wired to them. Ouch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1KRR »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From what I've read, the international check will clear. The money seems to be in your account, you forward the difference via wire to the buyer/shipper and release the bike. The bank will later find it to be fake and take the money back. The bike is gone...and you are out the money you wired to them. Ouch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In addition to that the bank calls the Feds and the Feds promptly investigate you. Fun stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1KRR »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From what I've read, the international check will clear. The money seems to be in your account, you forward the difference via wire to the buyer/shipper and release the bike. The bank will later find it to be fake and take the money back. The bike is gone...and you are out the money you wired to them. Ouch.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You'd think that would be the banks problem, huh? You ask for it to be cleared and they clear it, should be done deal right? How the hell do they clear fake checks? You'd think someone in the States could go the banks on this, surely?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (kiwigav)

agree you release the bike when you hold on your hands hot cash....
But that never going to happen cause they will never send the money

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Most definitely a scam. In my previous life, we received numerous reports of people falling for these types of scams. It's hard to believe people fall for them. My brother actually was taken on an employment scam where he was offered an unbelieveable job with incredible benefits overseas. The catch was he had to pay for work permits, visas etc..up front. I warned him, but he got taken for about $1200 before he found the same job/contract on a website that reported these types of scams. Once they have your money....forget about getting it back.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WOW! I must look like a sucker. I just got this email now:

hello seller i cross your advert on internet that you are the seller of the(2004 Honda CBR1000RR) i am highly intrested in it so i will like to know if is still available pls e- mail me back with actual price you want to sell it with condition of it and also dont worry about the shipping i will be the one that will responsible for pick up because i have a shipping agent who will come for pick up.thanks regard

Almost verbitam from the other one. There most be a scam form you can fill out and mass email to bike sellers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts