Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great race meeting. After what? 12 years? motoGP went off like clockwork. Well, it looked that way to me anyway. Anyone have trouble parking? Leave earlier. Troubled by the sun? Bring shade. Offended by the bludgeoning to death of your national anthem? Just chuckle
. Thirsty? Carry water
. Hungry? Oh come on.
So Melandri had a whine. I would too if I had something to lose on a wild-card. Too bad he took out Barros. Who incidentally had nothing but praise for the place. The USGP has added a definite spark to this years racing season as far as I'm concerned. I hope Nick and Colin can carry their motivation through to Donnington. I've personally been spoiled by many years of world class racing at Phillip Island and was really looking forward to the Laguna GP. I don't feel let down at all. Quite the opposite. Ticket/ hot-dog prices are standard across the globe apparently. The corkscrew still looks great on my TV by the way. Parking sucks on the Island too. I still have to wonder how they get 120,000 Spaniards out of Valencia circuit though...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: All positive after Laguna. From WAY over here. (Red Enough)

Nice to hear your opinion, I have the same. It's gonna be tradition in for my fam to make the pilgramage each year from now on, it was one of my best mc experiences so far.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: All positive after Laguna. From WAY over here. (MATTinMN)

I've been to every GP and WSBK race held at Laguna, as well as several AMA events dating back to 1984. I've seen some outstanding racing, and had some great times. And I fully intend to keep going back. However...

It's so frustrating to see the same problems every year, and instead of getting better, it's getting worse. Sorry SP2 Pilot, but your friends at SCRAMP have their heads fully lodged up their asses, and until they figure out a way to get everyone involved on the same page, it's going to be the same shit every year.

I understand it's a huge undertaking, and obviously you can't satisfy every single person in every single way, but cripes, some of these things are painfully obvious - things like creating one-way traffic in and out of the damn place using ALL the available lanes. My god, what kind of brain matter does it take to figure that out??? And when you sell all the available tickets well in advance, it shouldn't be too terribly hard to figure out how much food/drink and souvenir demand there will be!

Then you have dozens of vendor tents blocking the view and access to half the infield fence line, while an entire hillside (below the old turn 2/3 area) is nothing but a motorcycle parking lot. Why can't they line up all those vendor tents along that hillside so people could actually see what's happening in turns 2, 3, and 4?

And those are just some of the things that don't even cost them extra money to do! Imagine if they invested some money in things like a grandstand on the turn 2 hillside, or bought enough porta-potties for the actual amount of people attending...

I could go on, but it's pointless anyway. They've proven that they will NEVER figure it out...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: All positive after Laguna. From WAY over here. (Red Enough)

Traffic, dust, and long lines sucked. But for the most part I enjoyed myself even though I don't like being jammed in with big crowds. It would be nice to have a motorcycle only entrance/exit so you don't have to risk getting a ticket for riding over the double yellow. Grass would be nice also, I stayed and watched the smashmouth concert Saturday and was it dusty, especially when the cops took down the guy who was trying to mosh. He grabbed one of the cops after they broke it up with the mosh guy and another spectator, so they hauled his ass off to jail.

At this point I am planning on going back, at least I had good weather for the ride out there and back. This was my first long road trip on a motorcycle and I don't have any regrets, total milage round trip was 5600 miles. At one point on the ride home, in Spearfish South Dakota it was so hot that it was cooler for me to ride with my visor closed rather than open because so much heat was coming back up off the concrete freeway.

At least the people seemed pretty tolerant of each other and I didn't see any real trouble other than the guy at the smashmouth concert. But it was a zoo, so I bought a turn 11 grandstand seat for Sunday so I wouldn't have to sit in the dirt. I hope they get the traffic situation straightened out, I hung around late on Saturday and Sunday hoping to avoid some of the congestion but it was still terrible and had to lane split to get out of there before the races started the next day, if I had to sit in a car all that time I wouldn't bother going back.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: All positive after Laguna. From WAY over here. (Latebraker)

how about the motorhomes who parck exactly on the fence and make the fence part of their camp WTF? i wanted to see some racing on turn 11 but 90% of the fence was ocuppied from RVs and people who made the fence part of their camp!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: All positive after Laguna. From WAY over here. (Giannis)

That kind of stuff happens everywhere, especially at motocross tracks. The funny thing about that is, one time my nephew was racing at a local track and crashed his bike went flying over the fence and hit a truck and dented the fender. The guy wanted my brother to pay for the damage, but it was a racing accident and if you don't want to risk vehicle damage then don't park next to the track. I have seen a quad hit the fence in the same spot and nearly go over.

What does piss me off is when people try to tape off an area next to the track and they aren't even sitting there watching the race, this is more of a MX national racing issue than it is a roadracing issue.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: All positive after Laguna. From WAY over here. (Latebraker)

so how many of you got to see the GP pits?? i remeber the big deal was that in US GP they will let people inside..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: All positive after Laguna. From WAY over here. (Giannis)

I understand that you could walk past the front of the garages on Thursday, but I didn't make it into the area until 6:00 P.M. so there wouldn't have been anything to see then. I think they had access to the backside of the garages at certain times but I never was there when you could gain access until after all the racing was over on Sunday, I came walking up when Rossi stopped signing autographs and ran back to his trailer.

I would liked to have had a real good close up look at the bikes, seeing the riders wasn't that big of a deal to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts