Speedzilla Forums banner

Akrapovic Exhaust Production Run Feeler...

5K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  Termi-nal 
#1 · (Edited)
I am wondering what the potential would be for another production run of Akrapovic exhaust systems in the near future. Full, slip-on, CF or Ti, anything.

I tend to think if the Sato Banzai run can barely get off the ground, this might be of the same nature...

Like a lot of things, this relates to economic dollars and sense. LMK what you think, am open to all opinions.

Ride safe!

#2 ·
They are busy trying to produce exhausts for 2011 bikes that are coming to market and other models STILL being made. They'd have ZERO interest in retooling their jig to accomodate a few RC owners who always want sh!t for nothing.

Also, Akra is getting into the car market pretty big so I just can't imagine they have spare people laying around to make a handful of exhausts for a few SZ members.

Just saying............:eek:

#7 ·
I wonder how many sets they would need prepaid?

Jami is right though, everybody wants everything cheap these days (I'm one of them). It is hard for some people to justify spending $1200 on a set of cans when there are other less-quality sets being sold for $800 new (like yoshi), and used sets of various brands in good condition being sold for less than $500-$600.

The combination of people being cheap, and akra (or sato) needing to charge full price, prepaid, with a lead time of ???, all means that it will probably never happen. That is unless someone steps up and offers to purchase an entire run themselves and attempt to make a profit at it.

My two cents as to what would sell: whatever is cheapest. Although I would like to see a set of ti mid-pipes mated to a set of cf hex cans with cf endcaps.

#12 ·
#16 ·
Akra Full exhaust.

Well I just ordered a full system stainless head pipes, CF cans w/ Ti caps and was told it was one of three left in existence. I don't know if that was true or not, but if that's the case, I'd imagine we shouldn't expect another run at all.
Someone with a production shop could make some coin if they can get a hold of Ak, Yosh, or Sato and acquire jigs, or at least specs for jigs for their systems.
With the market and roads full of inline fours piloted by teenagers I'm afraid those of us with something different like our RC51's, SuperHawks, VFRs TLRs, etc... may be out of luck unless someone in the fold steps up as I mentioned above above.

edit:
Forgot to mention. I paid $1784.39 for the system here.

#26 · (Edited)
BECAUSE WE ARE AN RC-51 "FAMILY" ;)

Hey wings didn't I spend a 1/2 hour on the mill (removing broken Ti and providing all S.S. hardware) so you had a good set of kyle clip-ons for Lee?

I'll trade you a front axel (roommate from hell put mine in a box for me):banghead

Sorry to jack :eek:

#29 · (Edited)
OK, made a few calls to nail down some details 100%

i can offer a mid high mount full with your choice of super lighweight GP carbon cans or ti cans with ti end caps on both in a stainless steel tubing with ceramic coating as (normally $300) standard for $1200 shipped

I will need at least 6 buyers and it will take three weeks tops.

these will be a replica of the yoshimura with some minor changes to the hangers and to the carbon boot guards. I would do these because after running it for 8+ years i have learned what needs to be changed form their design.

$1200 shipped proven full, great price, works with standard engine and made in the USA

donor is here, fixture is almost done just need the dough:D

#31 ·
I give up man. All I was saying is that it will be hard to sell high quality premium exhausts with a long lead time when you can hop on ebay or google and get a set of slip ons for $600. You have pretty much proven my point on that.

Now that the sales pitch is here... $1200 is a steep price for a new exhaust maker, and your opinion of "proven" might be a little different than others. Again, why would I buy yours when I can get a jardine 2-1 for less than $600 brand new? Or for a little more I can get a full titanium 2-1 from tsukigi?

I am not trying to hate, as I admire your dedication to a dying platform, but I think that you really should spend some time getting your designs flow tested and dyno'ed. That would go a long way to dispel some of the doubts that the membership here has. I can only assume that you haven't had these on a dyno due to the fact that you never post one when asked. If you are seriously trying to make a name in the exhaust world, get a business loan and buy a dyno (or dyno time) and hire a few folks like tuners and engineers. What you may have "learned" over the years may not be helping. Part of making some money by designing a product and selling it, is to actually test it out through the proper channels.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't spend cash on a new exhaust unless I had, at the very least, a dyno sheet.

Oh, and the starting price on that exhaust was only 1 yen: Starting price
: ¥ 1

#32 · (Edited)
I give up man. All I was saying is that it will be hard to sell high quality premium exhausts with a long lead time when you can hop on ebay or google and get a set of slip ons for $600. You have pretty much proven my point on that.

Now that the sales pitch is here... $1200 is a steep price for a new exhaust maker, and your opinion of "proven" might be a little different than others. Again, why would I buy yours when I can get a jardine 2-1 for less than $600 brand new? Or for a little more I can get a full titanium 2-1 from tsukigi?

I am not trying to hate, as I admire your dedication to a dying platform, but I think that you really should spend some time getting your designs flow tested and dyno'ed. That would go a long way to dispel some of the doubts that the membership here has. I can only assume that you haven't had these on a dyno due to the fact that you never post one when asked. If you are seriously trying to make a name in the exhaust world, get a business loan and buy a dyno (or dyno time) and hire a few folks like tuners and engineers. What you may have "learned" over the years may not be helping. Part of making some money by designing a product and selling it, is to actually test it out through the proper channels.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't spend cash on a new exhaust unless I had, at the very least, a dyno sheet.

Oh, and the starting price on that exhaust was only 1 yen: Starting price

: ¥ 1

i don't need to dyno the yosh full(said i would replicate it), there are loads of dyno's floating around. i was simply offering you a less expensive replica version option then currently offered. I have not sold enough fulls of my own to justify spending thousands of dollars to impress people with graphs i could easily fake to show what i want them too.

I do not have 10 fulls sitting here as i have no need for them and there is no demand as you can buy $600 slip-ons. the yosh was done in 2000 and it is known what they made and where in the graph, look it up or do a search.

feel free to get a $600 jardine, they do not make great power and even the mid pack yosh slip-ons outperform them in most cases so what would be the point? the fulls made for the 51 never made the best HP below say 6000 rpms but most if not all outperformed the slip-ons above 6000 rpms:rockon people wanting fulls are not looking for a starbucks ride they are looking for outright power and fulls offer that

http://www.rc51.org/dyno/2-1jardine.jpg

http://www.rc51.org/dyno/dmfyosh.jpg

thanks for the vote and as time goes on and funds permit i will aim for a new full for a new bike for sure. The 51 is all but dead and sadly so is the market for its parts. I do what i can to keep making parts for it as i love it and i am one of the few bothering to move ahead instead of dropping it but again making a whole new exhaust and spending money is not going to happen. I am open to replicating a proven winner and trying to help members at this time and one would hope that suffice

$1200 bux, GP cans, cercmic coating made in the USA and a full exhaust hardly can you do better. I will offer up my yosh full for the project and will make this happen no worries

#34 ·
I ordered my Akrapovic racing line exhaust from Kneedraggers.com for $2005 + $127.50 shipping to Perth Australia on the 10th August and it arrived today (27th August).

I'm pretty stoked guys. Anyone here want a set of Akras, I suggest you look at the kneedraggers web site.

Cheers

#36 ·
I ordered my Akrapovic racing line exhaust from Kneedraggers.com for $2005 + $127.50 shipping to Perth Australia on the 10th August and it arrived today (27th August).

I'm pretty stoked guys. Anyone here want a set of Akras, I suggest you look at the kneedraggers web site.

Cheers
There are sets still out there but people are too lazy to look for them.:rolleyes:

This fact has to hurt the people running around saying you can't get them and you should buy their homemade garage exhaust instead.:woot:

Put them on your bike and post some pics!:rockon

#37 ·
I'm going to polish up the stainless steel pipe work first, then I'll take some photos for ya all while they're off the bike :)

Question though, am I better off taking the bike to the dyno tune centre with the exhaust I have on it now and do a run, then put the new exhaust on and tune it? This will give me something of a comparison I guess. What do you guys think?

#40 ·
Umm, yeah, about that. I basically kinda got lazy :)

I polished all the pipes and took some photos prior to fitting up onto the bike and that's about as far as I've got.

Bike seems quicker, but I haven't done any real tests to back it up.

I'm planning a major service to be done in the next couple of months and then I'll follow that up with a dyno tune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.