Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the general consensus about air filters? If you read what is on the http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au site they suggest the OEM paper filters are as good as anything else for flow and better for filtering. K&K and BMC are also popular, but my experience is that they favor flow in exchange for reduced filtering. ITG/Pipercross foam? Are these the best split the difference filters?

I would enjoy reading what Shazzam has to say on the matter.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Air Filters? (Nick D.)

hey nick,
from what i've read, it's true that the stock paper filters flow just fine (actually very well) when they're clean. that said, if you open up the airbox lid for better intake (as is commonly done of course), you really want an aftermarket unit not so much for the flow, but for the durability. get caught in a rainstorm just once, and that paper filter'll discintergrate pretty rapidly.
there's plenty of different types and some may flow slightly better than others, but frankly, in "real world" applications, i doubt many of us would ever tell the difference.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Air Filters? (s4strati)

I am not so much worried about flow as filtering. Of course, I don't want to choke off flow for cleanliness, but don't want to tip the scales in the other direction either.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Air Filters? (Nick D.)

I have had a K&N in the bike for all except the first 2000 miles of life. I'm over 22000 now. The air box is dust free inside and the bike is fine. I clean and oil the filter when I do the valve check. It may be true that the oiled cloth filters filter out slightly less dust and dirt, but I would say that the difference is pretty negligible in the real world. I guess if you lived in an area that is effected by some kind of ever-present fine dust, you may not want to use one. Otherwise it seems to be a safe bet. I look at this filter issue the same way I look at the claim indicating if you use a 14 tooth front sprocket your chain will wear faster... Real world experience doesn't seem to support the scientific proof.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Air Filters? (redduck)

I had the sotck foam filers on my 998...had dirt in the air box...now I have the BMC...no dirt...works really good

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Air Filters? (BlackHawk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackHawk »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the sotck foam filers on my 998...had dirt in the air box...now I have the BMC...no dirt...works really good
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ditto.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts