Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in going with an aftermarket tach of some kind. Maybe something with a shift light if they make one. Anybody uses any or know of any?

·
Registered
131 Posts
a riding mate uses stack instruments. i think alex o. uses stack too. freaking expensive but so yummy.... i want to get one for my bike. ive also seen cars with them and they say it can be installed for motorbikes.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Stack instruments are great. There was a ST200 on Ebay yesterday with the shift light (usually extra) that went for $165.00. Mine was a snap to hook up and has a record feature that can play back 25 minutes of tach play. I have the ST400, white dial and external shift light. I'm sure you could probably fit up many of the tachs available so long as the RPM #'s are appropriate for your application.

I got away with using the stock gauge bucket but I'm sure you could get creative for that "custom" look.

Ian

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking at the stack tachs and they look pretty good. Are they easy to install, Do you need an external tach sensor to calibrate or is it a pretty easy hook up?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Doughboy,
Here is a pic:

http://128.95.66.53/~ian_simpson/stack.jpg

The Stack tach is really close to the diameter of the OEM unit. I think they're calling it 80mm or just over 3". It fits snugly into the cutout left by OEM tach but requires some drilling at the rear in order to fasten the mounting nuts. The wiring was really simple and takes to the OEM harness one for one. The entire installation couldn't have been easier. The reason I have mine mounted like you see is largely due to the extra clearance required by the forward sitting coolant reservoir. Obviously I don't have a speedo in place yet but plan to shortly. Probably a digital Cateye or something similar.

-Ian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts