Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid Question, but I gotta know.

Are spacers included with aftermarket wheels, or do you retain your OEM spacers.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I think it really depends on the brand and what bike they are on. It makes sense financially for the wheel makers to use different spacers as it allows them to use the same wheel on multiple bikes as long as the rotors are spaced the same. Marchesini uses their own spacers for the front as they are captive and they leave the bearings in that are used on the cbr wheels (larger front axle). This means that they only have to make differnet spacers to sell RC51 wheels, and not design completely new hubs or wheels.

My oz wheels used the stock rear spacers, but it also used the stock cush drive, which most other wheels do not use. I'm not really sure what Marchesini does with the rear end.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Rear BST's:> the spocket side spacer is capitive... other then that I don't remember... (I think) they came with the spacers...

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's kinda what I was thinking.

Easier to make one wheel and just make different spacers for each bike, then make a special one bike only wheel.

Thank You

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
I think it really depends on the brand and what bike they are on. It makes sense financially for the wheel makers to use different spacers as it allows them to use the same wheel on multiple bikes as long as the rotors are spaced the same. Marchesini uses their own spacers for the front as they are captive and they leave the bearings in that are used on the cbr wheels (larger front axle). This means that they only have to make differnet spacers to sell RC51 wheels, and not design completely new hubs or wheels.
Not sure where this information comes from. Have owned, and still do, quite a few Marchesini rims. They are not captive front spacers and do use different sizes in bearings. Most of the rear wheels i've owned have been captive at the rear. Yes, its true Marchesini and many others try to make rims with a basic hub design that can be used on many different bikes, but its not all that simple. Many different factors like axle size, hub width, rotor offsets and bolt patters all must be accounted for. On the newer Marchesini designs one should be able to tear a wheel down to the basic metal and fit it to any modern bike with the proper bearings, inner spacer, rotor carriers, and axle spacers. Although through the years there have been different designs and not all interchange so they all can't be lumped together with the newer ones. Same goes for other wheel brands. *The interchangeability theory on the front rims doesn't always apply to the rear wheel. Can't take a 6 inch rear wheel and think you could cram it into a swinger that can only accommodate a 4 inch wide rear rim. Way to many different bikes to try to compile an interchanging list for rear wheel fitment so take it all with a grain of salt. You have to do your own homework or take a crap shoot to see if something will fit if it isn't already described by the manufacturer to fit.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Not sure where this information comes from. Have owned, and still do, quite a few Marchesini rims. They are not captive front spacers and do use different sizes in bearings. Most of the rear wheels i've owned have been captive at the rear. Yes, its true Marchesini and many others try to make rims with a basic hub design that can be used on many different bikes, but its not all that simple. Many different factors like axle size, hub width, rotor offsets and bolt patters all must be accounted for. On the newer Marchesini designs one should be able to tear a wheel down to the basic metal and fit it to any modern bike with the proper bearings, inner spacer, rotor carriers, and axle spacers. Although through the years there have been different designs and not all interchange so they all can't be lumped together with the newer ones. Same goes for other wheel brands. *The interchangeability theory on the front rims doesn't always apply to the rear wheel. Can't take a 6 inch rear wheel and think you could cram it into a swinger that can only accommodate a 4 inch wide rear rim. Way to many different bikes to try to compile an interchanging list for rear wheel fitment so take it all with a grain of salt. You have to do your own homework or take a crap shoot to see if something will fit if it isn't already described by the manufacturer to fit.
A friend of mine had an RC51 with captive spacers on the front wheel that looked exactly like other Marchesini spacers I have seen other than the captive part. I assumed that all were like this. I guess that there is a chance that the wheel was originally from a cbr and someone swapped bearings and made the spacers to look like the other ones? This was a few years ago, so my memory may be failing me here.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
OZ includes all spacers. You can buy different spacers to fit different bikes (for example SP spacers to swap wheels from a CBR1000RR): spacers are pricey and need some time for delivery but are available straight from OZ.
The sprocket carrier one is a bit of a pig to get out once assembled though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts