Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...it is time to get back to the track. Having two kids didn't leave me with much time or money. I'm looking for gear advice. In the past I usually went for bargin equipment but now that I have two kids I'm looking for top notch stuff. Not quite $1000 Daytona boot or $2500 custom leather good but a step below. Here are a few items I have been looking at and I would like to know your opinions or experience with them as well as others I might not be aware of.

For armor I was leaning towards Impact Armor, used by Hayden and Edwards but was also considering RS Taichi or Bohn.

For boots I'm considering Dainese Axial, Alpinestars or Sidi they are all priced around the same $450. I think I'm going with the Dainese because I like the way they look in the leathers (I know I'm a tool). How is the quality/construction of the Dainese? My Sidi's crashed well but the fit was ok. If anyone has had a bad experience with the Dainese I will most likely go with Alpinestars.

For gloves I'm considering Held or RS Taichi.

Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
Have you considered Vanson for leathers? I know they are heavy. You can have a custom made, your own graphic designed, suit for around $2k. Plus, there customer service is very good I think, I've had many fixes/repairs/upgrades done to my jacket, many done on the spot or over night just about. As an added bonus, made in the USA, in Fall River, Massachusetts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Hi mate. Had a talk last week with my gear supplier and said Dainese build quality has declined a little over the past few years. Sidi and Gaerne boots are a much better buy according to him. I have used Gaerne for the past few years (used to be a Sidi customer) and I cannot but praise them. Only thing get the optional metal slider as the OE plastic thing is way too soft and will get minced in no time.
As for gloves I crashed into Held gloves and I was far from impressed with the protection they offer: my left thumb still bears a scar where stitching gave way and won't buy them again.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Suit: RS Taichi ($1K plus range), Dainese Laguna Seca D-Skin

Boots: A* SMX-Plus, TCX Comp RS

Gloves: Kushitani GPR, Held Phantom

Armor: Dainese Back Protector (thinest, most comfortable IMHO), Bohn Pro Racer Chest Protector (Perforated for comfort)

Check Ebay and the WERA board for used. I recently bought a new A* Race Replica for $750 shipped.

New stuff here: Motorcycle Gear | Sportbike Track Gear

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Inpact Armor is great stuff. I've always liked A* gear, especially the boots. They seem to offer a wider boot.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Cortech has a new suit out that a friend of mine bought. He loves it and it's inexpensive.

I wear TCX boots, love them and they were under $250.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I crashed in them and the outer plastic snapped and lacerated my ring finger and then completely cut into my pinky finger which had to be amputated...
I'm sorry to hear about your finger. Thank you for the heads up. Since posting this last year I went with RS Taichi gloves an impact armor chest and back protection, both of which I love. The guys at impact armor were awesome to deal with. This summer I will be replacing my 6 years old boots and leathers...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts