Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is interesting in starting to ride. No prior experience on the road, and is looking for a good place to start.

I know this topic has been drilled to death on here , but I would like him to see some opinions of other people outside of his friends on this subject, not to mention this place is filled with years and years of motorcycle experience. (OK, I'll quit suckin' up now
)

I am telling him maybe a supermoto (smaller displacement, street legal) is a pretty good place to start, and to make sure to buy ALL your gear first!! So please humor me and help me and post your HONEST opinions for me.

Again I know this is
, but thank you!!

Or you can just flame me for going over this again

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (mrgrn)

I'd say a training school where the bikes are supplied. Spend the time to find one that's been in business for some time. After that Suzuki seems to have some basic bikes. So does Kawi with the little Ninja or EX500's.

Even a dirt or Supermoto school, for starters.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Advice (Southern_Cross)

Out here in Cal. There are a few choices in motorcycle instruction avalible . A Two Wheel Safety course ( they provide the bikes and helments ) is one . The C.H.P. also has one up and running , Also the Alemeda county Sheriffs has a program ... So the best thing to do is look in the phone book and see what's close to you and what they offer and of course cost .. It's always prefered to get proper instuction in class form .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrgrn »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sv 650
v-twin has smooth power delivery
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrgrn »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sv 650
v-twin has smooth power delivery
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know I'm going to stir up trouble here, but I have to say it:

SV650 is not a good beginner's bike.

Seat height is too tall, weight is carried too high, 70 horses is too much, and on the older model standard, a tip over to the left is a guaranteed $400 to repace a busted tach housing, even with frame sliders.

There are a ton of bikes that are better beginner bikes than the SV650.

It is far easier and far less expensive to be a first year rider on a GS500... and as a first year rider, you'll be circulating at track days and riding in the twisties every bit as fast as (if not faster than) first year SV650 riders.

The SV650 is an outstanding machine for an experienced rider, practical, economical, capable, flexible, hop-upable, and fun. Do a beginner a favor and don't make them learn on one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (banda)

Has he ridden any sort of bike with a clutch? If not get him on a YZ250 in an open field. (J/K!!! A four stroke 125 will suffice) If so, I think an ol' Ninja 2Fiddy is best.

I started on a '79 KX125 in the woods and that was plenty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (Capt. Home Slice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Capt. Home Slice »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I started on a '79 KX125 in the woods and that was plenty.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I raced motocross for years before I had a street bike. I still believe the dirt is one of the best training grounds for all riding.

If he is going to start on the street, a GS500 is pretty damn tough to beat. It does have light weight, low seat height, handles well, real brakes, and they are cheap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Advice (Southern_Cross)

I say go with a DUal Purpose bike or a small street bike if he's height challenged. Cheap to maintain. Cheap to buy. Cheap to crash cause you know he will . Cheap to insure but TONS of fun
Full gear of course

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Advice (3stripes)

Speaking of insurance, my insurance company just this year dropped my SV650's coverage, referring me to their "high risk" company because the SV has been over-represented in insurance claims in the last few years.

That tells me two things... It isn't getting any cheaper to own and operate a SV650, and somebody out there is crashing a lot of SVs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Phil 998)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phil 998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I still believe the dirt is one of the best training grounds for all riding.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Amen brother!! I wish everyone could learn to ride the way I got to!! On a cheap little two stoke, with it's little high pitched buzz, and pouring out that blue smoke. Nothing but woods and open fields as far as the eye could see.
I really miss them days!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (hoythuntin)

Most of my adolescent riding years were in the mountains of NW Mass. Dirt bikes four wheelers and snowmobiles. Miss the dirt bikes the most. My first street bike was an '82 Honda XL500 on-off roader. I still have it too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (Capt. Home Slice)

Thanks for the replies on a subject we have well

I agree, that the SV is not the BEST place to start.

My friend is going to do the Motorcycle Safety Course (here in VA), and is going to be looking along the lines of a dual sport/supermoto, maybe even the re-done DRZ400SM that is due out soon. He is 6'4" so, I don't think that should be a problem.

Thanks for all the replies, sometimes it is easier to convince someone when it comes from other people!

At least he is not going after an '05 ZX-10 or 'busa

1 - 14 of 14 Posts