Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 01 monster s4 that has been sitting and only has 500 miles on it. (I intitially wanted a tuono, but this might be a better deal, and I might be developing a soft spot for ducatis). besides the usual dicati 6k maintenence, are there any known issues with the 916 motors? I think I read somewhere something about rocker arm flaking, but can't find it in the search.
thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: advice on reliability of early monster s4 (isaltyko)

My 01 S4 was very reiable and I had a great run, the last ride was fatal for reasons we do not know, but the rest of its 22000 km life was pretty bloody good.

I has one set of warped rotors and that was about it on the baddies list.

Great machine, handle well and awesome grunt.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: advice on reliability of early monster s4 (Monstaman)

the S4 is a good bike but the Aprilia is a great bike. buy the tuono.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

the only motors you'll really need to worry about flaking on are the 748/996, especially the 748 though. 916's were mostly pre-rocker problems. But, I seem to recall some cyclinder base gasket problems on early S4's.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: advice on reliability of early monster s4 (Monster Man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Monster Man »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> But, I seem to recall some cyclinder base gasket problems on early S4's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry yeap mine did that easy fixed and never leaked again, no flakey rockers tho.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: advice on reliability of early monster s4 (oneducs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneducs »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the S4 is a good bike but the Aprilia is a great bike. buy the tuono.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
thats coming from a duc owner?

I like the tuono, but I dont want to get one shipped and they are pretty hard to come by here in ny.
just did more searchin' on the 916... rectifyer problems, alternator bolts loosening, clutch slave leaking, boy, what am I getting into. btw, any of you monster guys have issues with pipe clearence? they seem to hang awful low. how do they do at the track?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by isaltyko »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
thats coming from a duc owner?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ah ya and i own both a tuono and a s4. so take this advice from someone who knows, buy the Aprilia.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneducs »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ah ya and i own both a tuono and a s4. so take this advice from someone who knows, buy the Aprilia.</TD></TR></TABLE>

isaltyko... is does not get any better than that for information, oneducs has been around long enough to know what is good to go as well so it would be fair to say he is right.

Coming from a MH900e and Monsta owner......don't buy an MH unless you are truly in love and can afford a second one....every week

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneducs »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ah ya and i own both a tuono and a s4. so take this advice from someone who knows, buy the Aprilia.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Better yet, buy oneducs' Aprilia...

http://speedzilla.zeroforum.co...37319

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: advice on reliability of early monster s4 (infoage1)

buy a brutale! Base gasket leaks are common but the biggest problem is upgrades. Right 1036foggy?!?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: advice on reliability of early monster s4 (infoage1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infoage1 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Better yet, buy oneducs' Aprilia...

http://speedzilla.zeroforum.co...37319

</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes please do

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

my 2001 S4 has been great. I did have to put new rotors on it though. I got it about 18 months ago with like 700 mi and now have over 13,000 mi in all kinds of weather. I would take the advice on getting the tuono though. My buddy has one and it has lots more power. Better wheelies

I think the duc sounds better and I can go faster in the twisties.(my just be because it's mine and not my buddies) The tuono feels tall.
just my

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: advice on reliability of early monster s4 (knapp717)

I love mine. I've got a 2001 S4 with just under 10K miles. I've got the Ducati Corse Kit (SPS cams, ECU, full exhaust) in it and I raced it 2002 (before I got a 996). It's got a lot of hard miles on it, but is still reliable. I've done all the maintenance myself. The only real problem I had with it was the seam on the gas tank where the hinge is started to leak. Ducati replaced it as a warrenty item.

What price are you lookin' at for the S4?

The 'prilla wouldn't be bad either though.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: advice on reliability of early monster s4 (dryheat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dryheat »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What price are you lookin' at for the S4?</TD></TR></TABLE>the asking price is 8k for a completely stock bike with 500 miles. but I think I have some bargaining room because it might need a battery, new gas, oil, etc.since it sat for a while.
I know what you guys mean about the tuono. I can't get a tuono for that price here.
oneducs, so why are you selling the tuono and not the monster?
I'd totally consider your bike, but I hate dealing long distance. its hard to drop 8k on a bike I can't even testride. nice looking bike though. only if you were here in NY

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
type o

The battery was RECALLED on early S4's... watch out the original YUSA crap box will work good but leak out and eat case paint before you know what happened! pe o

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: type o (jonniedee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jonniedee »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The battery was RECALLED on early S4's... watch out the original YUSA crap box will work good but leak out and eat case paint before you know what happened! pe o

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's the other way around. The Yuasa is the good battery. It's the GS batteries, and GS designed FIAMM, that were the leakers. Probably doesn't matter much now, as GS bought out Yuasa not too long ago...

http://www.ducatimonster.org/s....html

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re:

the S4 looks SO much better then the aprilia.

But the air cooled monsters look SO much better then the S4.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: (Eddie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eddie »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the S4 looks SO much better then the aprilia.

But the air cooled monsters look SO much better then the S4.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agree 100%, no offence to the Aprilia as they are a great bike but the Tuono in my opinion looks bits and pieces and from the front they look sad.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

come on she looks too good to sell!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Apart from those bloody oneducs trademark bloddy pink handlegrips

1 - 20 of 24 Posts