Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Reverse Bodylift of Death
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have noticed that in alot of the track pics posted in here I see that the brake and clutch levers are often covered by one or two fingers. So, in my travels I have been testing this out, It is a bit uncomfortable on the clutch side, but getting better. I feel getting shorty levers might help cause it just makes me think the clutch isnt disengaging cause it isnt being squeezed all the way cause it hits my other two fingers that arn't covering. Now, the throttle side...No WAY!! I can't get used to it, rolling the throttle adn squeezing the brake seperately that is. When I get in the gas I apply the brakes a bit and when I get on the brakes i bilp the gas! It sounds funny I know but not so much when your in the cockpit.
My question is How bad is it that I cant cover the levers while riding??? Is it going to really hinder me as I improve as a rider? Thanks for any criticism.

Mark

·
Tough Crowd Racing #162
1,775 Posts
I cover the levers street and track, the brake more so than the clutch. You have to think when things out there happen in tenth’s of a second just having that finger on the brakes 2/10 early may save you from hitting that deer or car that pulls out. Or on the track lets you sink her a couple tenth’s deeper into that corner to bring your lap time down. :twocents

It seemed odd when I started doing it but now it’s second nature. :cool:

·
Registered
139 Posts
SIZMTRZ said:
Ok, I have noticed that in alot of the track pics posted in here I see that the brake and clutch levers are often covered by one or two fingers. So, in my travels I have been testing this out, It is a bit uncomfortable on the clutch side, but getting better. I feel getting shorty levers might help cause it just makes me think the clutch isnt disengaging cause it isnt being squeezed all the way cause it hits my other two fingers that arn't covering. Now, the throttle side...No WAY!! I can't get used to it, rolling the throttle adn squeezing the brake seperately that is. When I get in the gas I apply the brakes a bit and when I get on the brakes i bilp the gas! It sounds funny I know but not so much when your in the cockpit.
My question is How bad is it that I cant cover the levers while riding??? Is it going to really hinder me as I improve as a rider? Thanks for any criticism.

Mark
Do you ever brake and downshift simultaneously? You pretty much need to be able to have fingers on the brake and the throttle at the same time to be able to do this...

I didn't like shorty lever on the clutch because I need 3+ fingers to work that hydraulic clutch. I guess I have a weak hand. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ride covered on the throttle side now because I have to. The throttle control is a bit tricky riding covered, but you get used to it. It is definitely a lot easier to brake later and then roll on the throttle right away. I don't ride clutch side covered, because it is more comfortable to grab a whole handful over there. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :twocents :woot: Gotta love the woot!!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
When I first started riding I didn't cover.

I started doing trackdays and noticed many good riders cover... so I trained myself to cover both brake and clutch with two fingers at all times.

I have suffered from arm-pump, general arm fatigue, and numb hands at the track. I started racing last year and one of the races I compete in is a 17 lap race (3 Mi. BIR). The arm pump and numb hands (rt hand mostly) was killer on these long races so I had to start experimenting. If I don't cover constantly it is easier for me to get to full throttle and my right hand lasts longer.

Under braking and downshifting I still only use 1 or 2 fingers on the clutch or brake, just as I always have.

Unfortunately it is not second nature yet to cover or uncover, I have to think about it or I find I revert back to covering full-time. I think at short/ twisty tracks that is just fine, but at tracks with huge straights like BIR and R.A. there is plenty of time to uncover and get better blood flow to my hands.

IMHO covering or uncovering is a personal riding style choice. I am sure there are great riders who cover full-time, and there are great riders who don't.

You should be able to clutch with 2 fingers and fully disengage the clutch. If you are going to start it in gear (killed it at a light:rolleyes: ) that friggin lever needs to just about hit the clip-on, to make the switch and run the friggin
starter. :mad:

Just my :twocents , I am a club racing Novice, not a Pro by any stretch of the imagination. :)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
SIZMTRZ said:

Mark
IMO what works for you will be dynamic.
Street riding not too much coverage action.
Track riding lots of covering. Sometimes I have to tell myself not to cover so much because its hard on the fore arms and hands. Sometimes I feel I need to put a full grip on the bars for what ever reason. Other times if I don't pace my coverage towards the end of a session I can get sloppy, (sloppier:eek: actually) for example down shifting while breaking.
Anyway.
I don't think covering all the time is gonna give you sex appeal, so just keep your head on a swival. There's a time and place for everything.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have never covered. Seems like a bad habbit? I trail brake into turns, and blip and brake at the same time, but what is the point of covering the brake in mid turn under positive accleration? If you need to make a line correction mid corner, you are better off managing it by throttle control than front brake. Good way to overload the front and tuck it, if you ask me. As soon as I am done braking, my fingers return to hold my nuts. :woot:

·
Registered
139 Posts
The other reason I rest a couple fingers on the brake lever is that it gives me another reference point for my hand to modulate throttle. I.e., it's easier to be more precise with the throttle because you know how much you're turning with reference to another fixed point (the brake lever). Also, when you hit bumps midcorner, I find that it also helps minimize the effect on the throttle position because your thottle hand is sort of "braced" in place with the brake lever.

I dunno, I'm not a fast guy. Actually, I'm quite slow. :)

·
Reverse Bodylift of Death
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks very much for all the responses...I've gotten lots of good information. One last question from this rookie...

EBNASH: you refer to "trail braking".. this refers to dragging the rear brake through the turn to modulate accelleration right? if not please correct me. thanks

·
Tough Crowd Racing #167
1,374 Posts
Trail braking has nothing to do with the rear brake. It just means braking while entering the turn and through the turn. Using the front brakes primarily.

Braking while leaned over basicly:twocents

1 - 17 of 17 Posts