Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for the collective brain trust, I just picked up a pair of front EBC super-lite rotors that have been run for 6 laps at a track day. The surface of the discs looks new. From what I can find on the net they are made of "High friction billet steel". They have no holes drilled in the discs, just some grooves every so often. The bike is a 96 900 sssp, it currently has single pin brembo calipers and the "swiss Cheese" style brembo rotors on it. I put in fresh EBC "kevlar" pads about 1000 miles ago. What should I do when I put the new discs on, buy new pads? scuff up the not-so old ones? and do I need to do anything to the discs before running them? Given the material of the new discs is there a certian kind of pad I should use?
Thanks for any help you can offer,
-Caleb

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: ? about brake pads and rotor combinations (kwak)

FWIW, you'll get better performance with the OEM cast iron rotors that came with the 900SS/SP than the EBC stainless steel rotors (though the OEM's came with the snowflake carriers and not the swiss cheese ones which were on the SS/CR's and the pre-94 900SS).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: ? about brake pads and rotor combinations (edwyun)

This bike was missing the entire front end when I rescued it. I figure the full floating EBC discs are better than the ones on it, and as a bonus they don't have gold carriers.
-edwyun, what pads would you suggest?
-Caleb

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: ? about brake pads and rotor combinations (kwak)

Organic pads will have more feel ... but on stainless rotors, you'll need something sintered to get real power out of them. I have run Ferodo's ST sintergrip pads on stainless rotors ... they're interesting. Get them warm and they have feel like organics yet also have that sintered pad power. Then there's the XR sintered pads, which are over the top powerful... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts