Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on another forum yesterday & people seemed to enjoy it....

My Report:

I had the chance to drop by a non-descript office location today that is the temporary headquarters for Bimota USA.

The place was completely deserted except for the very gracious Jean Marc Rousseau and 3 lovely ladies: DB5 Mille, Tesi 2D & SB8K Santa Monica.

I only had my Treo phone’s camera and the quality of the pictures sucks… I know, I know… this thread is meaningless without pictures….. Don’t worry, I am going to visit again this week and I will bring a suitable camera for some worthy photos… and perhaps a glass of champagne.

The bikes are actually smaller than the press photos would have one believe, with the exception of the Santa Monica, which has a quite large (21 liter) tank – reminiscent of the 748/996 in size & shape, but any other similarities with the Ducs end there…. The ergonomics as a ‘riding bike’ are track-based and appear to be excellent. It would readily be the track day tool of choice among the 3.

The Tesi is amazing & JM gave me a complete analysis of the center hub mechanism….. I checked out the compression & rebound (yes, I sat on all 3 bikes and for quite a while)… It would probably take a few laps to get used to having the suspension & steering separate (like the BMW folks can probably attest to…) and while checking out the bike’s action, the front end didn’t so much ‘dive’, it was more like the front end was stationary and the rest of the bike ‘flexed downward’. And for a silly quibble, in addition to a wonderful large analogue tach, there is a tiny digital display that is so small it clearly isn’t made to be viewed while moving, and frankly, I can’t even remember what it was supposed to display (but I think it might have been only the clock). Not that you would care too much about what time it was if you could afford a USD $78,000 collector’s bike…

One item on the Tesi that might truly prove difficult to live with is the front shock canister that is mounted on the left side of the frame – right where your inner thigh meets the tank…. I haven’t noted any photos that clearly show this mechanism and there may be a reason….. On the track, it would be a concern as you move around the bike… but honestly, how much track time will the Tesi (or even the DB5) actually see?

There are probably other aspects of the Tesi that would take some time getting used to, but anyone lucky enough to have a romp with ‘Tes’ would surely find the time to adjust to and appreciate her ‘unique qualities’…

Yes, she is an intoxicating beauty and I did find myself running numbers in my head to justify buying one…. But showing up at Pocono East on such an esoteric ride is just ridiculous…. And keeping her as a piece of furniture in the house would be a waste (and having to explain having hairy palms – ala SirSpanxalot)

The DB5 falls somewhere in between the Santa Monica and the Tesi. It does remind me a bit of the Binelli (sorry, no offense intended). Easily worthy of the living room OR garage. Nicely put together and it probably moves along very well… not a commuter, but worth a visit to the canyons on your way to the Rock Store.

While these are the Euro spec bikes and the US versions will have minor differences, the fit & finish was flawless – quality in every detail, adjustable rearsets, OZ rims on the Tesi, Brembo calipers (but not fully-floating rotors…), radial master cylinders on the DB5, lots of carbon fiber and outstanding painting….. While the DB5 was the non-working example that was used at Intermot, the other 2 were ready to roll….

During our chat, it is clear that Bimota is targeting the collector crowd & taking care of the little things that they would appreciate…. For example, lifetime free service and handling such details as picking up & dropping off the bike no matter where it is located….

There will be something about the return of Bimota in the Robb Report or Dupont Registry in the near future… And in keeping with the aficionado set, I gave JM contact information for Clarkie (our very own Robb Report regular), Ken Zeller and even Bill H. If any of you get these out for a track day – please remember me - all I want is 1 lap (on each, please)….

Stop buy the Ear Bar and maybe one Tuesday night this summer there might be a special visitor (or 3) - they’ll probably bring the champagne….

Respectfully Submitted,
Hank

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: A Visit to Bimota USA Headquarters (hank)

Can't make heads or tails of this...... Bimota folded shop years ago and ALL the equipment, machinery, tooling, parts, unfinished bikes, office supplies, leftover toilet paper, etc. was auctioned off. What Bimota are you talking about?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: A Visit to Bimota USA Headquarters (roadkill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can't make heads or tails of this...... Bimota folded shop years ago and ALL the equipment, machinery, tooling, parts, unfinished bikes, office supplies, leftover toilet paper, etc. was auctioned off. What Bimota are you talking about?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, they're back (again)...
http://www.bimota.it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hank »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, they're back (again)...
http://www.bimota.it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now you can see why they didn't make it in the first place.

Just one question, does the Gobert model come with a gram of coke or do you have to supply your own?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

hey Hank good read. in your conversation over at BH did anyone say how much the db5 was going to cost?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: A Visit to Bimota USA Headquarters (oneducs)

The DB5 is like a dream bike, only cost is probably beyond reason.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: A Visit to Bimota USA Headquarters (oneducs)

OneDucs,

Thanks, it was my first (and probably last) foray into cycle journalism...
As for the prices.. well, it's one of those "if you gotta ask' type answers....

2006 DB5 Mille $48,000.00
2006 SB8K Santa Monica $54,000.00
2006 Tesi 2D $76,800.00

A bit much but IMO....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

well there is always wishful thinking and that mille is just a beautie. that was your first try well keep it up i thought it was fine. keep us informed of anything you come across from BH. thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just one question, does the Gobert model come with a gram of coke or do you have to supply your own? </TD></TR></TABLE>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts