Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just joined NEABA and hope to be doing a few track days this year. before i go out and drop mega-coinage on leathers, i have Joe Rocket textile pants and jacket that i wear. problem is: they need to be zippered together the total circumference.
has anyone had a zipper sewn into textiles before? is it expensive? is it possible?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: a question about your zipper.... (Rigor)

The speeds you can carry on a track vs. what you do on the street is quite a bit different, I would spend the $ and get a suit. Could be like a parachute, not too important until you need it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: a question about your zipper.... (Phil 998)

I wouldn't go out on the track in a textile suit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: a question about your zipper.... (Chuckles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chuckles »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't go out on the track in a textile suit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would, and I have.

A custom tailored Aerostich Roadcrafter. In some respects, a well-fitting Roadcrafter will outperform even premium leather as crash protection... it has the same resistance to abraision and more resistance to tearing.

Also, it's a hell of a lot more comfortable for low temperature trackdays or wet trackdays than leather.

Having said that, there's no way I would ride a track day with a home-built zip-together garment.

As a matter of fact, I think track days are more dangerous and more crash prone than racing. When you race, there's really only one corner where riders of different skill levels are trying to get through the same space at the same time... the first one. After that, you're riding with people of your same skill level for the duration.

Not so at a track day. There's all kinds of crazy-ass lines being ridden by n00bs on liter bikes, and with the safety rules like "no passing on the inside" it can be hard to avoid riding in close proxmity to a nitwit for much of the day. Track days frazzle my nerves in a way that racing never does.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can get a decent close-out suit for ~$600 and believe me that's an inexpensive alternative to medical costs and time lost from being off work.

But then, chicks dig scars and stupid is forever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts