Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone so after the last three months of working on the bike I finally got her up and running again; some electrical, replaced headgaskets, new tires (becuase of a puncture to the rear), new clip-ons etc. I went out to run some errands on the bike and picked up a nice old rusty nail in my 200ish mile old Dunlop sportmax Q2 Rear Tire.:banghead:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Are you F'wording kidding me????????? So now what? am i f***ed or could i patch & plug it? There is a guy on craigslist offering some "Two track day old Pirelli Dragon SuperCorsa Pro Tires" for $100 for the set, should i just grab these?

Ohh and im currently on disability for a broken collerbone so i literally have $146 to my name so just buying ANOTHER new tire isn't an option.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I hate to say this but mine is plugged. I'll replace it as soon as I can and wont take any long trips for now. A plug should hold fine depending on where it is, just keep an eye on your air pressure. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya ive plugged tires before but they usually end up leaking. i haven't tried those Plug/patch johnsons yet though and was thinking about trying that out.

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
plug will be fine and hold air if done properly. it's not the right thing to do, but it'll work. just don't track it and don't do any high speed runs. the reason plugs are bad is that when you ream the hole out you tend to break some of the belts, which in turn lets the tire get slightly out of round. if you do plug it try to do it with a kit where the reamer is the twisted style not the knurled style. for normal or spirited street rides it should be fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had my rear tire patched and plugged of about a year without any problems. I inspect the plug regularly and it's holding fine for street use.

I took the tire off the rim and brought it to my local America's Tire Store. They called the manufacturer (Michelin) to verify whether or not it could be plugged. Luckily, the hole was far enough from the sidewall that it was able to be repaired. If it's too close to the sidewall, they won't repair the tire due to safety reasons.

Anyway, they reamed out the hole, installed the plug and then put a patch behind it. This adds an extra layer of safety. Should the plug pull out, the patch is there to keep the tire from deflating. I'd do it again if I had too.

And the best part about this is it was FREE!

·
Big Thymer
2,100 Posts
Wow, tough break. How many miles out of curiosity were on the new tire?

I ask only because something similar happened to me a few years ago. I had a new rear sneaker installed and within the first 3 miles from my house, I heard an odd, rhythmic (speed related) ticking from the rear. I pulled over and checked and saw the hugger had been torn to shizzle by a nail in the sidewall. That was the ticking. Thanks. Thanks very much!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the front has been fine since i got the bike, I baught the bike and put about 300 miles on it before i got TWO nails in that tire replaced it with the q2, 150 miles later i blew a headgasket and today was the first ride on the bike since i got everything all patched up road about 50 miles got home and found that little bastard sticking out of my tire...Ive decided my new rc51 hates me.:(

the rear tire has 204 miles on it, not actually sure if ill be able to patch/plug it because its in at a crazy angle near the center of the tread

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I've used both the mushroom type plugs (google "stop and go tire plugs") and the rope type you can get at any parts store. Both held up just fine. They both had well over 1000 miles on them when I replaced my tires. Both were in the rear (would never plug a front). I say plug it and if it really bothers you replace it later and just don't get crazy with it in the mean time.

Oh, and if you buy tires locally, some dealers have road hazard warranties just like the (car) tire shops have. Some only give you a prorated return (based on miles, so you would have almost gotten it all back), and some just replace it for free. Something that maybe you want to look into with your recent luck. Of course once you buy it, you wont pick up any more nails ;)

·
Shane RC51
889 Posts
I've got no problems with plugged tires. The best fix is to pull the tire and patch/plug it from inside. That will hold up for the life of the tire. I rode my F4i from San Antonio to SC on one, and then for several hundred miles more after that.

I wouldn't use a cheapy plug kit except in an emergency. I used to use them, until a had a little mishap with one. I was racing a 'Vette on the interstate one night. I got up to around 130, walked the car, then slowed back down. When I got down to around 80 or so, the bike started squirming around. Freaked me out. I pulled over to the side of the highway, and as soon as I got the bike stopped, the rear was completely flat. The plug had melted and oozed out of the tire in a stringy, gooey mess.

Granted, the plug may have worked fine for a long time for someone else. I'm not an "Easy Rider". LOL...

·
Registered
947 Posts
get a mushroom plug in it and vulcanized, that is like $10 at the shop here, i'll run those plugged tires on everything but track days

·
Registered
240 Posts
get a mushroom plug in it and vulcanized, that is like $10 at the shop here, i'll run those plugged tires on everything but track days

+1.
Mushroom is the way to go.
Please note that if the puncture is to the center of the contact patch than it is a lot less problematic as the tire deform a lot less there than it does to the side during cornering.

BTW, I used patched tires for track days as well as long as the puncture was to the center of the CP, never had a problem.

But it's your hard earned money, your bike and your safty.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Show of hands:

How many people have had a wheel weight stuck in their rear?:D (besides Frank)
This one wasn't pluggable.

·
Short Bus Commander
265 Posts
I love you search function, you saved me over $150.

Just got off the phone with the local shop, they had me about convinced that I needed to buy a new tire. The nail in my 300ish miles old, rear Pilot Power 2ct is just off center in one of the tread voids. I'm going to "gummy worm" it while I wait for my stop n go plug kit to come in.

That's for the info guys!

James

·
Registered
295 Posts
I know the feeling of a nail in a new tire.
I had mine plugged and never had any problems.
I didn't push the envelope speed-wise, but it actually held until the tire wore out.

As for past punctures, back in the lat 70's, I had a 6 month streak where I was getting a flat a month from the stupidest crap.
A cotter pin, a freaking paper staple, and so on.
My poor tire had so many patches I ultimately had to buy a new one.
And that was when I didn't have much cash.

Meanwhile, my buddy got a big ass spike stuck in his tire and it didn't even puncture it.
The spike went sideways through the tread blocks with no loss of air.

·
Short Bus Commander
265 Posts
Here a fix it idea mount one of these bad boys to the bottom of the bikeK&J Magnetics - Products over 1200lbs of pull

1 - 20 of 21 Posts