Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is Pearl Harbor Day, that's all I'm gonna say. Countless heros to thank.

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I haven't heard one word mentioned about this on the news all day...kind of sad. Thanks Rocky for the post:clapper

·
Registered
527 Posts
^ This is the best argument against war -- that most people don't give a shit about the sacrifice others have made .

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Let us never forget... thanks Rocky for posting a fitting remembrance...

The only thing certain about the future is that it will surprise even
those who see the furthest into it...

I post scans of my aviation collect that dates prior to the December 7
attack on Pearl Harbor to educate us that even when faced with the
darkest horizons someone always sees the future clearly...

1941 Air Progress Annual copyrighted in 1940...

Nov 1941 Flying

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
It's a touching place to see in real life....knowing what took place....to sit and watch the oil bubble up every 30 seconds....man...:mad:

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I agree Rocky dark infamous deeds that resulted in tragic loss of life should be remembered, such as Pearl Harbour, My lai and Wounded Knee.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gee, you somehow forgot to mention Pol Pot in Cambodia, but that's ok, "progressives" seem to forget inconvienient truths............:wacky

-Rocky-

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Gee, you somehow forgot to mention Pol Pot in Cambodia, but that's ok, "progressives" seem to forget inconvenient truths............:wacky

-Rocky-
No and Mugabe in Zimbabwe there are many many examples. It wasn't about progressives but a reminder that nobody is a perfect and we all have skeletons in the cupboard like during the American Revolution, after the Battle of Camden when Banistre "Bloody Ban" Tarleton had his men slaughter surrendering American troops, or any number of atrocities we have perpetrated in the name of the Empire.
I just think some people are better at forgetting their behaviour more than others. ;)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Before I die, I will go to Pearl Harbor and pay my respects by visiting the USS Arizona.

I am always haunted by the black and white photo of that ship blowing up with one of the largest fireballs (short of a nuke) that I have ever seen. To realize that thousands lost their lives at that very instant is sobering.

I was also saddened about the lack of coverage of the Dec 7 attack on the news, but eventually you have to expect that the media will let that go (not folks like us though). The same will eventually happen regarding Nov 22 and the Kennedy assassination, etc.

Fate had to intervene so many times that it isn't funny during WWII. We are very fortunate that we are not speaking Japanese or German today (no offense meant to either country). I visited the National Air and Space Museum this month and they had a V2 from 1945 and the best rocket that we had at the time (Corporal I believe) right next to it. We were so far behind the Germans regarding guided missiles that it wasn't funny. They also had a fully restored, mint condition Me-262 on display as well. Amazing technology...

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Before I die, I will go to Pearl Harbor and pay my respects by visiting the USS Arizona.

I am always haunted by the black and white photo of that ship blowing up with one of the largest fireballs (short of a nuke) that I have ever seen. To realize that thousands lost their lives at that very instant is sobering.

I was also saddened about the lack of coverage of the Dec 7 attack on the news, but eventually you have to expect that the media will let that go (not folks like us though). The same will eventually happen regarding Nov 22 and the Kennedy assassination, etc.

Fate had to intervene so many times that it isn't funny during WWII. We are very fortunate that we are not speaking Japanese or German today (no offense meant to either country). I visited the National Air and Space Museum this month and they had a V2 from 1945 and the best rocket that we had at the time (Corporal I believe) right next to it. We were so far behind the Germans regarding guided missiles that it wasn't funny. They also had a fully restored, mint condition Me-262 on display as well. Amazing technology...
Bring some tissues because visiting the Arizona memorial is an heart wrenching experience...

The 262 was the first operational Jet powered aircraft... but the first pure jet
power flight of an aircraft happened in 1939... Hans von Ohain was granted a
patent for his turbojet engine in 1936 and Ernst Heinkel immediately saw the
advantage even though the piston power fighter was all the rage so married
the turbojet with his He 178 and was the first to fly in 1939... the jet didn't
perform right out of the box better than the piston power fighters of the day
but some saw it as a clear game changer and worth investing in its future...

He 178

1 - 17 of 17 Posts