Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Govenor Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown just signed into law a provision that allows WARRANTLESS searches of cell phones by LEO's. So in effect, you can get pulled over for an illegal U-Turn, and the officer can demand to see the contents of your cell phone.......I'm no tinfoil hat wearin' feds are out to get me type, but THIS seems waaaaay over the line, I can't see this standing up in court. Thoughts?

Semper Fi!

-Rocky-

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think they are after the GPS data so they can track where you've been. If a robbery takes place and your cell phone places you at the scene it becomes a law enforcement tool.

Will it be abused? Probably, but the trade off might be worth it in some cases.
Just scary if not used properly and who is to say what is proper.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I'll bite. I also own a couple of new GM vehicles, On Star equipped, can they pull be over and download the memory (last 500 miles of datalogging) from my onboard system? Where does it end?

Semper Fi!

-Rocky-

·
Registered
409 Posts
OK, I'll bite. I also own a couple of new GM vehicles, On Star equipped, can they pull be over and download the memory (last 500 miles of datalogging) from my onboard system? Where does it end?

Semper Fi!

-Rocky-
The technology is certainly there and ON Star was going to track this data even for non-subscribers but decided against the non-subscriber tracking. On Star can track real time so there would be no need to pull you over. I don't know where it's going to end but like most things, there are trade offs. I don't think the dummies in congress are capable of writing legislation that would allow this technology to be used only when it made sense. The idiots would probably give in to marketing lobbyist that would want to flash electronic bill board signs at you as you drive by targeted to you by the stores you frequent...:eek:

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a dealer ask me "Where were you doin' 90 mph 20 minutes and 33 miles ago? (in the Bay Area) I asked how he knew I was rollin hard, and he points to the laptop plugged into my onboard system........GRRRRRR!

Semper Fi!

-Rocky-

·
Meatball's Dad
2,752 Posts
I think they are after the GPS data so they can track where you've been. If a robbery takes place and your cell phone places you at the scene it becomes a law enforcement tool.

Will it be abused? Probably, but the trade off might be worth it in some cases.
Just scary if not used properly and who is to say what is proper.
As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

If the information is so readily available, then let law enforcement simply obtain a warrant for it. Then it doesn't have to be a constitutional over reach like so many other things.

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts
I had a dealer ask me "Where were you doin' 90 mph 20 minutes and 33 miles ago? (in the Bay Area) I asked how he knew I was rollin hard, and he points to the laptop plugged into my onboard system........GRRRRRR!

Semper Fi!

-Rocky-
When I went in for my first service, they asked me how many times I redlined my car. I said 2 and she said "no, it was 3". Everything is stored in the keyfob.

And wasn't OnStar just sued for continuing to track vehicles even though they weren't currently subscribed to the service?:confused:

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
188 Posts
Insurance companies and law enforcement companies, have tried to obtain the files stored on vehicle obdII computers for years. So far the courts have not allowed this to happen. Citing, that it would be possible to say that you are a reckless driver if you happen to have an accident at say 5 mph but your car is showing that 5 minutes earlier you were doing 100, and the opportunity for misuse is too much. This has been going on since 1996 when the OBDII standard was implemented. Considering the current political climate which favors corporate greed and fascist government tactics, look for this protection to be removed soon.

The cell phone law which you mention has been in force for some time. It was just under appeal. Though it doesn't give law enforcement the ability to look at your phone just like that. They would have to arrest you. Once arrested, they are free to do what they like without a warrant.

This doesn't mean that Jerry "moronbeam" Brown (didn't we have enough of him already ?) hasn't put a bunch of idiotic laws into effect. My favorite is the "Dream Act" which effectively gives illegal aliens $14.5 million dollars in educational funding so that we don't discriminate against them. Last I checked the state was too broke to fix the roads that are falling apart yet we have millions to give illegals. Go figure

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Naaah, Jerry knows what he's doin'. All those criminals kids will vote democrat when they are made "legal".

Semper Fi!

-Rocky-

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Naaah, Jerry knows what he's doin'. All those criminals kids will vote democrat when they are made "legal".

Semper Fi!

-Rocky-
Yeah, right. Not many of them are going to vote.

Give him the cell phone...after you remove the SIM card. Is that covered in the law?

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Better to just spend a few extra bucks a month and insure yer phone, then just stomp the fook out of it if "they" ask for it.....hand 'em the pieces......:D

Semper Fi!

-Rocky-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.