Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Why rearsets? Is it so you make a more aerodynamic package, or something else?

2. Why do the front brake rotors "float" on the race bikes?

:cool:

·
Registered
137 Posts
1. Why rearsets? Is it so you make a more aerodynamic package, or something else?

2. Why do the front brake rotors "float" on the race bikes?

:cool:
1: So your toes/ pegs don't touch the ground. (On my SP1 with stock rearsets I have touched my toes, not the pegs. No feelers, they would touch very quickly!) Also in theory they crash better, or are easier to repair/replace parts. They don't fold, so they act as another frame slider point.

2: A little bit out of my range on this one... Expansion and contraction under heavy heat loads are absorbed better by floating rotors. Even stock are "semi" floating for this reason. Harley rotors (for instance) are bolted directly to the rim and expansion under heat loads will cause warping. Of course any Harley rider will tell you that front brakes are useless anyways!:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
1. Rearsets are easier and cheaper to replace in the event of a get off. They also offer more ground clearance to lean over more, better grip for your boots, and a solid mounted rearset can keep other stuff from dragging down the tarmac just like frame sliders. Not to mention they just look cooler!

2. Rotors are made to float so they can better center themselves to your pads and calipers. Under very heavy braking floating rotors, keep the front end much more stable. ie no vibrating of the front end on hard braking.

Hope this helps!! ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys. My buddy and I got into a discussion about the rearsets when we were looking at the picture of the works RC thats been posted lately. I thought it was an aerodynamic thing because of this video:

YouTube - TT Isle Of Man 2009 John McGuinness

That guy just looks streamlined because of the rearsets

I can see what you guys are talking about with the "float" acting as an expansion joint/heat decoupler. Makes sense.

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
all your questions have been answered already.

but i can tell you that the stock rearsets offer plenty of ground clearance with the feelers removed. i can get around the track better than most and i havent dragged a toe yet (even on stock suspension which has the bike sitting lower than one with built suspension). they do help protect the bike when you lowside just like a frame slider, and certainly look nicer than stock. they also can (depending on what you get) offer a range of adjustability. personally i find the stockers to be in a comfortable position, and although id prefer aftermarket(just dont have the $ for them now) they do fold so if you do go down the chances of busting them up are less likely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts