Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned a RC51 for some time now, and I've always wondered why the slim interest in the motorcycle, along with cheap resale price. I've been told many things by others, but what most say is that it doesn't keep up with the CBR1000rr. The RC51 was built to compete with 750cc inline 4's. Being a physicist/mechanical engineer, I looking over the complete motorcycle design, and refuse to believe that this bike has lived up to its full potential. I have contacted a crank/rod/piston manufacture in efforts to make a 10 item order of crank/rod/piston combo that will bring the RC51 back into the game so to speak. It will bring utilize the Ducati 1098R specifications of bore x stroke 106mm x 67.9mm 12.8:1 compression. This will allow for the bike to run on 91 or high octane gas as well for those concerned with its street ability. The stroker RC51 should provide comparable performance results to the 1098r.

I will have some information on pricing to follow, but with Durbahn's underseat fuel tank setup, this stroker kit, and BST carbon fiber wheels, I can see the RC51 competing with new sport bikes at a comparable price.

If your interested in this overbore stroker kit, please let me know!

Thanks again,
Don M

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There seems to be no-one that has taken this off the drawing board it would be interesting to see what piston speeds do @ high rpm.

BORE and stroke - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org

I think the big concern for people is that they do not want to purchase something without knowing what they are getting. This bore/stroke/piston combination has already been shown to work in the Ducati 1198R. The piston speeds would be nearly the same as OEM. Rev limit would be around 10k, with max power right below at 9,500 rpm. Increasing both bore and stroke at the same time achieve this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about fueling and so-on?:confused:
The bike would require larger injectors that can be purchased from magneti marelli These are the same people that built the throttle bodies, and injectors for Ducati. I am currently unsure if you can modify the injector settings with power commander, as it is only a piggy back system. I know that a replacement ecu like motec will work for sure. Motec M880 is the ecu I am going to use for my build.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
These threads pop-up on this site about twice a year and NOTHING ever comes out of it and nothing ever will.

Short of recreating a Factory HRC pattern and making your own crankcases & such basically spending 3 times the cost of the bike on engine fabrication you will never have a competitive RC51 against 1000cc in-lines. Even the HRC Factory bikes had 400km-1200km service intervals before the entire bottom end had to be rebuilt and they wouldn't be competitive against 1000cc inlines of their time let alone current ones.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
At some point you cannot shorten the rod any further without it making contact with the piston skirt. At the very least the rod/stroke ratio will be compromised and the angle the rod travels, swinging back and forth between 90 deg BTDC and 90 deg ATDC will become much more pronounced.

If you can;t keep the deck height the same I would be curious how the cam drive system could be modified for the longer stroke. There isn't bigger gears just sitting around on the shelf, and you can't add another idler. Even if you could get the gears made with more teeth, the location of the centers of rotation will likely move as well.

Honestly it doesn't seem like it is worth the trouble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At some point you cannot shorten the rod any further without it making contact with the piston skirt. At the very least the rod/stroke ratio will be compromised and the angle the rod travels, swinging back and forth between 90 deg BTDC and 90 deg ATDC will become much more pronounced.

If you can;t keep the deck height the same I would be curious how the cam drive system could be modified for the longer stroke. There isn't bigger gears just sitting around on the shelf, and you can't add another idler. Even if you could get the gears made with more teeth, the location of the centers of rotation will likely move as well.

Honestly it doesn't seem like it is worth the trouble.

Hey guys.. I see a lot of people posting comments like the one above. I would try to be a little more positive. Please keep your negative comments to yourselves. I only want input from those interested in group purchasing the stroker/overbore kit. The kit will not cost anywhere near 10k or require a increasing the deck height. Thx!

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
Maloy where are you located?

And as much sh*t as i have given LDH about other subjects. I do have a tendency to agree with him on the this topic. The OP is always Gungho I am gonna do this to prove you wrong then magically it gets side lined. Just like everyone says it would then they stop posting here.

Plus you are new to Speedzilla so i highly doubt you will stay around long enough to prove any of us wrong.

I vote this thread to become another failure.

Here is a link to show what we are all saying:
http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc51-technical-discussion/63200-bore-stroke-ftw.html

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Hey guys.. I see a lot of people posting comments like the one above. I would try to be a little more positive. Please keep your negative comments to yourselves. I only want input from those interested in group purchasing the stroker/overbore kit. The kit will not cost anywhere near 10k or require a increasing the deck height. Thx!
I have a hard time understanding what was negative about the comment other than my opinion at the very end which would be to dissuade you from probably wasting a ton of money.

Understanding all of the consequences of the stroke increase should be considered. Perhaps you have not thought this completely through?

I am also trying to understand your motivation for the original post. Are you hoping to get nine more guys to help share the cost?

by chance are you related to mrgrn?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maloy where are you located?

And as much sh*t as i have given LDH about other subjects. I do have a tendency to agree with him on the this topic. The OP is always Gungho I am gonna do this to prove you wrong then magically it gets side lined. Just like everyone says it would then they stop posting here.

Plus you are new to Speedzilla so i highly doubt you will stay around long enough to prove any of us wrong.

I vote this thread to become another failure.

Here is a link to show what we are all saying:
http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc51-technical-discussion/63200-bore-stroke-ftw.html
On that note.. I am no longer posting anymore and removing myself from this website. I do not want to waste my knowledge or time with people not interested in performance. The people here only seen interested in making uneducated, negative comments.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.