Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know yall have probably heard this question a zillion times... I had a Kaw ZX6r for a few years and sold it a couple of years ago. Now I'm ready to get back in and I'm craving more power.

Since I'm a car nut and love pedigreed automobiles I have always had a special interest in Ducati's. Therefore, my options started like:

Ducati 998 or 999
SV1000
New R1
New GSXR 1000
10R

I like the unique sound of V-Twins but have seem to only remember hearing a Ducati. I'm trying to determine if another inline liter bike will be enough of a transition in feel and character.

Next thing I know I'm really shopping Ducatis and even looking at an MV F4 and falling in love. However, neither of these are exactly high value for dollar bikes right? I guess I'm trying to decide if spending more on a Duc would be worth it to ME just as all of you apparently feel it was for YOU.

Have any of you consider or owned any of the bikes I've listed? While I love the the mechanical beauty, rarity, sound, of the Ducs the SV can be made to look dang good with full fairings and high mounts. The fact that its 2k less than the other Jap liter bikes and less than half of a new base 999 doesn't hurt either.

But is a 998 or base 999 for 12 or 13k really 4k more bike? And is the maintenance really as bad as I hear? From a car perspective, I've had 3 NSX's and I've not regretted having the Japanese Ferrari. The question is will I regret doing the same thing on the bike???

here are some of the car toys I've had. I'm sure many of you are addicts like me. http://www.cardomain.id/amacc

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
for me after looking at ducati superbikes there was no other option.If i bought something else i doubt i would be happy.I am very pleased so far,the myths run rampant about service ,dependability etc but i have nothing but praise for the bike.And the iceing on the cake was when a bunch of us were parked a stranger asked if my buddy could move his new zx10 so he could take a picture of that yellow bike! do yourself a favor ,find a dealer you trust,then buy the bike.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 998/999 vs SV1000 vs RC51 vs I4 Literbike (Evoking)

For simple "bang for the buck" value, the three Japanese fours would be the way to go. (Or four, if you count the Honda CBR1000RR). Which of these you would prefer basically goes down to your personal taste in how they look, and how they feel when you sit on them. Coming from your ZX6R, any one of these will simply blow you away with how fast they are, and how well they handle...

However, it sounds like you may want a little more out of a motorcycle than bang for the buck.

The Italian bikes will certainly move you, physically and emotionally. The Ducatis won't overwhelm you with their power, though they are deceptively fast. You won't think they're all that fast until you find yourself riding along side another bike. The V-twin engine is an acquired taste, but it makes for a great street engine. Lots and lots of torque, whenever you need it. Smooth, predictable power that makes riding effortless, so you can spend more time enjoying the way it goes through corners...

But if you want to spend the money, the MV 1000 F4 has it all. It's a monster that, from all accounts I've seen, gives up nothing to the Japanese fours, it's one of the best handling bikes you can buy, and the look... Well, as far as I'm concerned, it's one of the most beautiful bikes ever produced, anywhere, any time. You may end up putting a couch in the garage so you can sit and stare at it.

But you have to decide for yourself. Go look at all the bikes on your list, read some reports, and figure out which one stirs your soul the most. You'll know it when you see it...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: 998/999 vs SV1000 vs RC51 vs I4 Literbike (AZ Scott)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZ Scott »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For simple "bang for the buck" value, the three Japanese fours would be the way to go. (Or four, if you count the Honda CBR1000RR). Which of these you would prefer basically goes down to your personal taste in how they look, and how they feel when you sit on them. Coming from your ZX6R, any one of these will simply blow you away with how fast they are, and how well they handle...

However, it sounds like you may want a little more out of a motorcycle than bang for the buck.

The Italian bikes will certainly move you, physically and emotionally. The Ducatis won't overwhelm you with their power, though they are deceptively fast. You won't think they're all that fast until you find yourself riding along side another bike. The V-twin engine is an acquired taste, but it makes for a great street engine. Lots and lots of torque, whenever you need it. Smooth, predictable power that makes riding effortless, so you can spend more time enjoying the way it goes through corners...

But if you want to spend the money, the MV 1000 F4 has it all. It's a monster that, from all accounts I've seen, gives up nothing to the Japanese fours, it's one of the best handling bikes you can buy, and the look... Well, as far as I'm concerned, it's one of the most beautiful bikes ever produced, anywhere, any time. You may end up putting a couch in the garage so you can sit and stare at it.

But you have to decide for yourself. Go look at all the bikes on your list, read some reports, and figure out which one stirs your soul the most. You'll know it when you see it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Forget what anyone else writes, this is the most accurate description I have read about these bikes. I suppose I could go faster at a track day on a current I4 (600 or 1000), but it's just what Scott said, the smooth predictable power is so far under my skin, I won't ride anything else.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: 998/999 vs SV1000 vs RC51 vs I4 Literbike (Phil 998)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phil 998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... but it's just what Scott said, the smooth predictable power is so far under my skin, I won't ride anything else.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I couldn't agree more

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

EvoKing,
Letting us know what kind of riding you do would be a good too? How many miles/year? All street, weekend riding, posing, track days, racing, two-up, etc...

-Tifosi

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 998 and love it. But if I were to get another, I'd get the 996S. It doesn't have as much power but with the vented fairings and carbon bits, it's gorgeous. I can stare at it for hours on end. As for the Japanese bikes, they are very much like computers. Each new model renders the previous ones obsolete. Ducati's are like fine wine. The older they get, the more precious and rare they become. Try to find a 996R or 998R. I should have bought one when I had the chance given the amount of money I put into my current 998

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (s4awd)

IMHO...of all your choices...there is Ducati and all the rest are just motorcycles....

Once again IMHO

the Japanese bikes are like toasters...one day they are shinny and new...they do there job very, very well...but after awhile they all look the same...and they can sit there on your counter and get lost in the clutter...MV Agusta...nice looking bike...heavy, hard to get parts for and most of all not a Ducati. MV in my mind is like Alfa Romeo, great linage, great race record, still makes beautiful cars, but just seems t be missing that thing that Ferrari and Ducati have...My Duc also does it job very, very well but it will never be compared to an appliance...It is just so Italian...sexy while sitting still..the sound the bike makes with the dry clutch I can only compare to controlled chaos. You can't just walk by it with out stopping to look...it's a Ducati and they are full of passion.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (hearing8)

Can anyone put that "thing" into words that Ducatis and Ferraris have? I have tried and I still can't explain it...

-Tifosi

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (Tifosi)

I can put it into words for you. Ferrari's, MV's and Ducati's are hot. This world is superficial. We only like what looks good. Who cares if the blonde at reception can type 1 word per hour and mispells everyone's name. As long as she's hot, you want her in front representing your company.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

the best I can offer is that while one can enjoy and appreciate other designs, Ducatis and Ferraris have an uncanny ability to stir you on a deeper level. It's like they grab hold of your very soul and go "ohhhhhhh yeahhhh!"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Right now I will be riding some during the week after work and weekend carving up some country roads. I also want to look into some track fun. I have no idea how much I will want to track after my first time. My guess is that I could get addicted...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I vote for the 998
Go for a test ride on the 998 or the 999 and you'll be sold
Just be sure to post photos of your new rig and your first impressions

-Tifosi

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tifosi »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can anyone put that "thing" into words that Ducatis and Ferraris have? I have tried and I still can't explain it...

-Tifosi</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Japanese bikes are like your high school girlfriend. The Ducati is like that redhead you met at the airport lounge.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: (DanST4)

You have to decide what value for dollar really means.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: (Capt. Home Slice)

I currently ride a 01 748s, which is a great bike, but has not power for the straight aways, but I can keep up with any of the liter bike just fine in the twisties. I love my 748s, but I am selling it because I ride a lot during the summer, and I need something that requires less $$ for maintenance till I get my cop job then I'll buy a 999s or r.

Ducatis are great bikes, and they are definately more fun to ride than a jap. bike. However, the jap. bike is more bang for your buck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

So I'm hearing conflicting stories here. Some say the maintenance myth is not true. Then Heckler says he needs something that is cheaper to maintain...

Are they like tempermental garage queens? I know I had to do nothing to my Zx6 but what do these require both in $ and in time? It may be high for a bike but still far less than an exotic car right?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

For a twin - easy Aprilia Mille Factory....

I love my 748S, but my Priller is amazing!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How are you going to use the bike? Twisty roads? Trackdays? Sport touring? Cruise, park, and socialize? Spirited street riding? Drag racing?

If you want to hit the road and do some spirited twisty roads, but want that V-twin sound, then the Suzuki SV1000 is a fine machine. It's quick. Good handling for the street. Comfy enough for sport touring. But the suspension isn't up to regular track days or really hard riding.

The new style R1 is quick and nimble, although I found it too twitchy for my tastes. Good looking. Not comfortable enough for all day rides for me. Would be a great track day weapon. Also good for cruising, parking, and socializing. I haven't ridden the new GSXR1000 or ZX10R but I'd imagine the experience is similar to the R1.

Ducati 998 is a classic beauty. Good components all around and the 'S' models are even higher end. It won't accelerate as quickly as the new inline-4 liter bikes, but by all accounts has more stability. Not the best choice for drag racing but a wonderful twisty road or trackday bike. 999 is much the same as the 998 with different looks and arguably better handling. Maintenance issues and reliability woes are hit or miss -- but I wouldn't let that steer you away from the brand.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ducatis are, IMHO, beautiful and exotic. The 999 is a great track bike. But they are expensive to purchase and maintain. Compare my Honda CBR1000RR with my Ducati 999. The Honda cost about $12,000 incl. fees, a slipon exhaust , an upgrade windsheild, turn signals and an extended warrranty. My Ducati cost $20,000+ incl fees Termi exhaust kit, sprocket and some Carbon Fibre. Remember, also that every 6K miles the Ducati service is approx $1,000- at least around Los Angeles. Good luck with your choice.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts