Speedzilla Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
waiting on supplies so I'm trying to plan some things out. won't be many gauges on it. I'm going to use this cable drive speedo and some plumbing parts for a buck to make a cup. took a bit of time polishing out the lens to make it look fresh.

photo (27).jpg

photo (22)small.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
looks great so far, love the tail work.

Maybe next time try to use some kevlar and or carbon for strength as the glass will be very weak and brittle unless you use extra layers. If you are not done with it consider adding a layer of carbon on top then when you paint it install some decals then peal them up to reveal the carbon lettering before clear, just a suggestion jarred

like the wire type of zepplin framing, clever

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
ok, I'll try to be civil again.

there are plenty of layers of glass on there. 6 in most places. it's all west system 105 epoxy resin. this thing is ultra strong and quite flexible. I made it so that it could be a structural piece and really doesn't need the subframe. but then I would have no place to mount the battery, electronics and rear reservoir.

as far as carbon goes there may be some in the future of this project, there may not be. I'm not revealing plans until there are pictures to show.

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
ok, I'll try to be civil again.

there are plenty of layers of glass on there. 6 in most places. it's all west system 105 epoxy resin. this thing is ultra strong and quite flexible. I made it so that it could be a structural piece and really doesn't need the subframe. but then I would have no place to mount the battery, electronics and rear reservoir.

as far as carbon goes there may be some in the future of this project, there may not be. I'm not revealing plans until there are pictures to show.
my point was you could have used 2-3 layers of carbon and saved considerable weight and gained much strength, glass is for corvettes:D J/K

Stand by what i said, looks good and clever and keep the progress coming

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
this!

photo (44).JPG

is not going on this bike.:D I just spent a wad of cash buying, refreshing and re-springing it for my RC51. so that is why there has been no progress lately. but boy is it worth the stall in the build.

·
Registered
73 Posts
well done sir! nice and clean, best cafe VFR i've ever seen.

love the tail, looks like a 'radical ducati' piece but even better since you made it yourself!

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
working on some deals to get exhaust parts, in the mean time I spent some time doing little things. cleaning 18 years of grease,chain lube and road shit off of it. Since I'm trying to only use factory Honda bolts as much as possible I took the time to polish them up and make them nice and shiny. I also cut a blank for the undertail. I also buffed the tank. shined up pretty good for as old as it is.
photo (23).jpg

photo (32).JPG

photo (33).jpg

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
Why are you so concerned about using stock Honda bolts? Just wondering since it is a custom bike I can't see the reason to stay true with bolt types.

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
a couple of reasons Honda typically uses high quality stainless, and I'd like the fit and finish of the bike to appear like it rolled off of the showroom floor. A regular hex bolt and washer just doesn't look as good as the fairing bolt above and a bolt with the proper shoulder and rubber isolator will also help to keep things from cracking. do it nice or do it twice, you know.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sweet idea. I have a 1990 VFR I've had since it was 3 years old.
Maybe someday I'll do the same sort of thing with mine.... your's is food for thought.

If I were you I'd look at making a high level under seat exhaust.
You can sometimes also pick up stainless headers used which will look nicer.

I picked up a set of stainless ones last night on UK Ebay for 57.00 GBP as my originals are getting a bit scabby!

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
been keeping my eye out for a header, in good shape for a few years. Never seem to pop up round here though. there are a couple on the market that you can buy new, but the design is, quite frankly, retarded. I'd like to find the two brothers left exit, but as the old saying goes... Custom doesn't come out of a box. so more than likely I will just fab up something when I stop spending money on the RC51 lol.

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks Stunna, you know I just cant get into the style of the maggots. They kinda remind me of the huge fart can ricer exhaust you see on every honda civic. It will be GP Inspired though. Unfortunately I have had neither the spare time or cash in the last couple of months to do any work on the damn thing. I do have some pretty cool sh!t planned for it as soon as I have some spare time.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts