Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing a bit of research on these bikes. Does anyone have links to tests online?

I have found out that these kick-only engines are pretty hot, with higher compression and a rudimentary oiling system.

Anyone know about reliability with these bad boys? There is one reasonabl close to me that might be a fun winter project.
1999 Husqvarna TE610

Thanks

Attachments

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the type of riding I would do (old and slow) it would probably last a long time. Always wanted one of these since Jacky Martens won the world championship with one (first four-stroke in a generation IIRC). Dual exhaust on a dirt bike is also totally badass.

Another one I was looking at was a mid-90's Husaberg FE501. Perhaps I am a masochist at heart. The KTM 400/520 is also appealing to me.

I agree the two-strokes are far cheaper to run. Other bikes under consideration are a two-stroke EXC KTM in the 250-380cc range. Seems like there are lots of them around very cheap to buy. For $500 you could have it running like new regardless of how you bought it. $500 in the four-stroke is just a start if things are worn out.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
So no info but check out thumpers and old kool on advrider. I know I've read threads on these bikes there. That said, I've got a Husky and it is awesome.

·
-_-
2,284 Posts
Another one I was looking at was a mid-90's Husaberg FE501. Perhaps I am a masochist at heart.
You sir certainly are! :D

I owned a TC570, which basically is a 610. Chain on the right side, exhaust on the left, updated plastics in comparison to the 610.
The 610 motor has undergone a small change in (don´t nail me to it) ´99 when they got some sort of pseudo oil pump. It´s a little Mikuni pump that´s spewing bits of oil on the crankshaft and rod. Before that, the engines were said to be a bit fragile. But owners I have spoken to would deny such thing.

My point of view on the 610/570 is:
- it has BIG power. Way too much for close trail riding. You will find yourself in 2nd gear all the time because that thing goes fast fast.
- it´s a bit heavy, but then it´s a 4 stroke. When I owned the 570 I also had a ´90 CR 250. Both water cooled, but the CR as a two stroke was obviously lighter.
- I broke my engine twice, once was my fault (misuse of Loctite) and the other time a valve got bent due to a bad valve guide. Can´t help it when it´s ****ed, so I went and got it repaired. Couldn´t do the headwork myself, but it was relatively affordable. In terms of rebuilding a 4 stroke.
- I´d only buy one again if I had nice trails and quite a bit of space to ride the thing. On the track and on tight trails it´s just too much. Maybe I´d buy one again if I had more money for a supermoto conversion. I made mine a motard, but it didn´t ride really well. Needed new suspension or tuning of the existing components and maybe a different set of triple clamps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts