Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading on the zx7rr post, that larry wrote something about the rc45 being the best homologation or something like that.

So, out of curiosity.... 888 (pick your poison, sp5 or spo) or the rc45, which do you all like?

Me, 888, but i'm biased for obvious reasons (888, 748r, detuned 996rs, 853 cafe racer project, and next in line an 851/888 cafe racer project)

And if you call your damn rc45 mr rc45 i'm going to fly out to wherever the hell you are and slap you. It's a damn bike, not a person

·
This space for rent
1,478 Posts
I would choose the 888, watching Doug Polen decimate the field at Brainerd on one was impressive and I have wanted one ever since.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
And if you call your damn rc45 mr rc45 i'm going to fly out to wherever the hell you are and slap you. It's a damn bike, not a person
and here I thought everyone called their bike Mr... lol

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I don't know about most people, it'd be a tough decision but I'm leaning towards Signore 888SPO. :D

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
If I could have only one? The RC45 over any of the standard models of 851/888. The handful of SP examples in the US might get a look, but the Honda would probably be what I would choose.

As the owner of a '90 851 for the last 14 years. The bikes are very cool but the rarity and special-ness of the Honda do it for me these days.

No other bike sounds as good as an 851/888 with pipes though. Even current Ducati race bikes.

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Here's my address and here's my face because Mr.RC45 is my damn bike...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The ohlins were a custom build. We had Brad Miller of.... crap, i can't remember his name, of something Superbikes out on the west coast build them for us. We wanted to keep the triples the same, and it turns out the Suzuki GSX has the same diameter uppers. So, it's a build of a GSX upper with a 916/998 lower, which allowed us to use a modern front wheel

SBurns, I appreciate the honesty of the answer. I'm not trying to promote the 888, i'm just curious as to people's opinion. I do agree, the 888 has such an incredible sound. This 888 is running a 50mm termi spaghetti exhaust

·
Registered
358 Posts
I love the 888, but it would have to be an "SP" version. My brother has an 916SP3 and I have always prefered the 888.

·
Registered
358 Posts
No other bike sounds as good as an 851/888 with pipes though. Even current Ducati race bikes.
Whilst they do sound very good and this IS an RC45 vs 888 thread, have you heard a cammed up RC45 running through a single HRC system?(the twin system is quieter), the hollow note as it cranks over and then kicks into life with glorious gear train noise(no quietening gears on HRC cams) brings a smile to my face every time I kick it over.

of course the 888 would have to have a dry clutch to add to the extra noise appeal :D

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I would have the RC45. In fact I even contacted Larry when rumor spread a local example was on sale (it turned out to be unsubstantiated, sorry Larry).
I have absolutely nothing against the 888, in fact it's the most beautiful bike Ducati ever built. Yes, I've never liked the 916-series look.
But an RC45 is currently worth (here) at least twice an 888SP. If I were to buy such a bike I would do it to keep it locked in the garage and the RC45 is much better than the 888 whose prices show no sign of recovery.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts