Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
WSMC #51, CVRA #51
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
875 Miles in 14 hours or The great rebild continues...

But it was worth it to pick up my re-vamped noise maker :D .

Made a one day round trip to Pick up the motor from Mark Ledesma in Phoenix yesterday. He said he had some parts left over after it was put back together, I hope their not important.

J.D. did the heads, so when we put the bike on the Dyno in a couple of weeks and it sucks I can blame him.

It should run good for a long time. I will post up the Dyno charts as soon as I have them.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Very nice Damon, what kind of numbers do you think you'll see on the dyno? 140? 145? 150 :eek: ?
Please keep us posted

·
I speed up for corners
1,165 Posts
wow cams rods pistons heads. Whats the total cost if you dont mind me asking? I'm about to pull my engine to replace sleeves, rings and pistons and I'm trying to justify cams and heads. oh what to do...please help me say yes:rockon

·
WSMC #51, CVRA #51
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Very nice Damon, what kind of numbers do you think you'll see on the dyno? 140? 145? 150 :eek: ?
Please keep us posted
We expect it will be in the 145+ range but I would be happy with anything over 140. With VP U4.2, the cams timed 105/107 (tuned for a bit more top end) and the 11k limiter it very well could hit 150. I’m not too worried about being a bit aggressive on the cam timing. The actual CR came close to 12:1 so that will put some punch in the mid range. Normal CR for the "High Comp" JE's is 11.4:1 even though they are rated at 12.5:1. Its all a mater of how well the Akro head pipes deal with the CR, port work and cams now. We expect they should work very well but only they dyno will know for sure.

·
WSMC #51, CVRA #51
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow cams rods pistons heads. Whats the total cost if you dont mind me asking? I'm about to pull my engine to replace sleeves, rings and pistons and I'm trying to justify cams and heads. oh what to do...please help me say yes:rockon
Honestly, don’t worry about the cams. I ran across a set of billet cams for a good deal so I picked them up. If I didn’t have them already I wouldn’t have changed them out.

With out cams, its a LOT less expensive. I don’t know if I really want to figure out what I spent on every thing. I have been picking up parts here and there for several years, so my total cost has been very spread out. I would hate to actually know how much money is in that motor.

I would say give JD Hord a call and he can go over the cost/benefits of head work, pistons and such. I can say his RC port/valve job is a good deal!

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
That's the way all engines should be returned form their respective builders. Unfortunately, we have a slue of sub-par dreamers that think they are some sort of building professional her in the south east. Just because you read a few mags and books on engine dynamics doesn't make you anything but a poorly informed loud mouthed idiot. sigh...not directed at anybody from the site....just a forwarning to others that gets a blow hard spewing a bunch of poo out their mouth about how they know what they are doing or are professional.

If they can't/won't show you proof of their work, allow you to do a walk through of their shop(s), and can't provide, or wont allow, you to speak with past customers about the work they had done.........then don't waste another second.

·
WSMC #51, CVRA #51
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was the same way. Usually I do everything myself because I just don’t trust anyone else to do it the way I want it done. But, I don’t have the time, or experience I felt necessary to tear apart the engine and put it back together again. It took allot of phone calls and research before I finally decided who would build my engine. Even some better know builders (like Carry Andrews) have hit and misses. One of my good friends had his GSXR750 built last year by Carry. It never made anywhere near the power it should have and just after a couple of races he had 30% leak down on one cylinder. So it was off to be re-built again. I don’t know the particulars but my friend was not happy and refuses to go back there.

I did find several guys who I would trust, one didn’t have the time, one didn’t want to work on RC's anymore and one I couldn’t afford. There are some good builders out there who know RC's. It just takes lots of digging. I finally decided on Mark Ledesma out of Phoenix, I knew him through friends and have met him personally in the past. He stands behind his work, even after it has been well seasoned at the track. In the end I liked his approach to making power and his sensible recommendations. His ideology and style matched mine own. So far I have been extremely pleased with the whole processes. Now for the real test, put the thing on the dyno and ride the hell out of it. Lets see if it makes power and for how long.

I also would trust JD Hord, we have had many lengthy discussions and emails over the past year or two. If he was closer I would have sent my engine of to him. Something about meeting people in person goes a long way in my book, but that’s just me. I should add I have several friends who all had head work done by JD. Everyone I know has been very pleased with his work.

·
...commandeering a beer.
1,033 Posts
Mr. stewart,

Can you give me the number to call. I am looking for the same man that did your work. I too have some "collected parts" that I am ready to put in. I am really interested in your dyno numbers as well, for my parts should get me to the same. LOL. Nice setup, couldn't have planned it better myself. Thanks in advance for the info.

·
WSMC #51, CVRA #51
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rather than start a new thread I will just continue here.

I started to assemble my race bike today. Do to my work schedule I only get a couple of hours each morning to work on it. Today I found most of my parts that where packed up in my trailer after my move early this month. Unloaded my tool box and started to wipe the dust off the frame. Found and cleaned the frame bolts and mounted the frame to the motor. My goal is to have the swing arm with shock and triples mounted by the end of the week so I can put the assembly on stands.

More to follow...

·
Full Spectrum
2,532 Posts
Damon what eccentric are you using with your triples, and have you played with different offsets yet?

·
Full Spectrum
2,532 Posts
30mm is standard offset. This would require a 0 eccentric.

Im running 28mm offset and it works well- quick and stable.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts