Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post here thought I'd say hello!
Spent yesterday in Wisconsin at UIR...Sweet Zombie Jesus is that track awesome!
I know from talking to Dave and Greg out at DCTC that they've ridden it before, but nothing I had read or heard really does it justice. Most work and most fun I've had on a motorcycle!
Perfect weather for it as well.
Anyways just thought I'd share, I'll post some pictures of the weekend as soon as I figure out how!

Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 5/29 + USA international raceway = AWESOME (guzzidog)

I wonder how it compares with Stockholm. I really thought Stockholm was too tight and it took me a long time to start trusting the concrete pads in every corner. Worse: they came up with a no exhibition wheelie rule and all I could do was power wheelies out of corners. The rule struck me something like an MX track saying no roosting. Grumble, grumble.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 5/29 + USA international raceway = AWESOME (Eric Landstrom)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eric Landstrom »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wonder how it compares with Stockholm. I really thought Stockholm was too tight and it took me a long time to start trusting the concrete pads in every corner. Worse: they came up with a no exhibition wheelie rule and all I could do was power wheelies out of corners. The rule struck me something like an MX track saying no roosting. Grumble, grumble. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Eric, it really doesn't compare. The track at USAIR is simply amazing. Depending on the track configuration that they use at USAIR, there are several places to open it up and build some speed unlike Stockholm.

Since I can't do wheelies well, the no wheelie rule at Stockholm didn't really effect me, but I thought it was a bit odd as well.

Welcome to the board Dwain, glad you enjoyed Your day at USAIR! Less than 3 weeks to the school!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: 5/29 + USA international raceway = AWESOME (Dave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Eric, it really doesn't compare. The track at USAIR is simply amazing. Depending on the track configuration that they use at USAIR, there are several places to open it up and build some speed unlike Stockholm.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stockholm's tight. Too tight. I never got past third gear at Stockholm. I could have grabbed fourth as I came up to the turn at the end of the front straight but I never really did come to trust that concrete pad and would back out of it until I pretty much had the turn past me. On the other hand, I wasn't taking that turn any slower than the guy on the CRF dirt tracker (who I thought was the fastest guy out there) the one time I was following him through that corner so maybe my caution wasn't unfounded?

I'm really looking forward to Dakota this Saterday though and I'm going to wear my MX boots this time so I can try taking turns one and two and the bus stop MX style and to see if that doesn't work a little better. I'm also going to try taking the corner at the end of the back straight in 6th instead of winding the wee out of fifth like i was on the fifteenth.

Maybe this fall, after I've had a chance to fix all the problems with my red truck, I'll be able to make it out to USAIR.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Stockholm is pretty tight. It took me a few sessions to figure it out. I don't want to bash the track, beacuse I really do appreciate what DSC and Stockholm are trying to do. It was nice to only have an hour and a half drive instead of 3-6 hours.

IMO, they should add a few sections of asphalt to provide the option of changing the track layout.

Something like this...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Something like this...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I like the looks of that! That would make for some nice options.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Welcome D!

I'm looking forward to getting out there with you once I pick up the motard! You've found what appears to be the most centralized message board for super moto in the Midwest. Funny how I keep running into similarities with you. Island Cycle, Ducati, the message board, and soon a motard as well.

We can all look forward to seeing more of you on InsaneSpeed!

-JC

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eric Landstrom »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they came up with a no exhibition wheelie rule and all I could do was power wheelies out of corners.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Huh?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: 5/29 + USA international raceway = AWESOME (chriscap)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chriscap »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Huh?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Basically, they said no intentional wheelies.

If the bike just wheelied under power while accelerating, it was OK.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

M-U-S-T R-E-S-I-S-T W-H-E-E-L-I-E-S

M--U--S--T . . . .

Man, the whole grin and giggle thing is the only reason I go out to the track.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: 5/29 + USA international raceway = AWESOME (sparky)

Hey hey Sparky!
Good to see you here! I got to break in the new wheels in spades this weekend I can't wait to go back in a few weeks. I should be seeing Dave and Greg I believe on the 15th at the greatest track in north america for a motard.........

:)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Here's a couple on track photo's to see what this place looks like, it's incredible..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

great, no pics, well nevermind I'll put a page up and a link in a couple days..
sorry bout that...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by guzzidog »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">great, no pics, well nevermind I'll put a page up and a link in a couple days..
sorry bout that...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was able to view them by copying the URL into a new browser window. Nice!

Do they have the dirt section finished yet?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Nope, when we were out there the track was still in meeting with the city for a build permit it sounded like. They have the CanadianAmerican Supermoto there the two days after we ride Chandler's school with sat being an amature class, Nick and I are planning on staying an extra day to at least watch, try to qualify if we can and ride....
they said they planned on starting a dirt chunk this week possibly, I'd assume they'd have to have it by that weekend tho....... *hopehopehope*

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Of course, the Shawano newspaper reports that the City Council has decided that they can only runs carts on the track, no cars and no motorcycles until they get their permit issues resolved to the City's satisfaction.

I hope they get their act together within the next 10 days or so...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Using Dave's tip I saw those photos. Looks like a cool track! Good luck qualifying!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Nothing aginst the wheelie guys, but when you have guys trying to do fastlaps and
a guy doing wheelies your looking for trouble. Eric you cut me off near the end of the day, in just this case. I know this is a closed course and all, but if we have one
accident our insurance goes up, just trying to avoid risk. I hope everybody can understand that.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: 5/29 + USA international raceway = AWESOME (diggy)

I apologize for cutting you off. What corner was this?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the bike just wheelied under power while accelerating, it was OK.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm using this if I go ride there...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts