Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which 4stroke dirtbikes have e-starter? all YZF450s? or WR450? How easy is to kickstart a CRF450,RMZ250,YZF426? im looking to get one of those in the near future ofr dirtbike/Supermoto.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 4stroke questions (Giannis)

Just off the top of my head, these are the ones that do have e-start:
WR450f
WR250f
CRF450X
CRF250X
All KTM EXC/MXC four strokes
Husky TE and TC lines
DR-Z400

With the acception of Husky, pure MX/SX dirtbikes are kick only. If you maintain the correct valve adjustment, good jetting, and know the drill, I'm told modern 4 strokes are not that hard to kickstart.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 4stroke questions (stk0308)

Don't forget Husabergs! I think they're all e-start except for their motocrosser, but who's going to buy a Husaberg motocrosser?

As for kicking: If you're able enough to ride a motocross bike, you can kick a motocross bike. I have a YZ426 with a high compression piston and manual decompression... about the toughest kick start combo there is. But when the carb and the spark plug are clean, and the operator knows the routine, it kicks to life on the second kick.

If you're buying a four stroke without e-start, have the seller show you how to start it cold and hot. Otherwoise you'll have a heck of a time figuring it out.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: 4stroke questions (banda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't forget Husabergs! I think they're all e-start except for their motocrosser, but who's going to buy a Husaberg motocrosser?

As for kicking: If you're able enough to ride a motocross bike, you can kick a motocross bike. I have a YZ426 with a high compression piston and manual decompression... about the toughest kick start combo there is. But when the carb and the spark plug are clean, and the operator knows the routine, it kicks to life on the second kick.

If you're buying a four stroke without e-start, have the seller show you how to start it cold and hot. Otherwoise you'll have a heck of a time figuring it out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed on the part about figuring out a routine. my YZ 450 starts pretty easily, especially in the winter. auto-decomp is nice, e-start would be even nicer but i dont really want a WR.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The WR's got electric start in '03 or '04.

Having fresh gas and a good spark plug make a big difference, if my bike sits for a month or two it won't start on the gas that's been in the tank, I have to get fresh gas and then it starts and runs well.

You can pick up YZ426's pretty cheap, I bought my '02 last year for $2800 and it looked like brand new, the guy I got it from only rode it in the woods and never crashed it. Yamaha's have the most durable top end too, so it shouldn't need valve adjustments quite as regular as some other brands. I had to drive 350 miles one way to get it, but it was worth it and it has plenty of power.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: 4stroke questions (banda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't forget Husabergs! I think they're all e-start except for their motocrosser, but who's going to buy a Husaberg motocrosser?

If you're buying a four stroke without e-start, have the seller show you how to start it cold and hot. Otherwoise you'll have a heck of a time figuring it out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bada i had a kicker DR350 the problem was sometimes i was in a position that i could lift my right leg to kick the bike, i like trail riding,woods,rocky stuff etc... i think a e-start is a great enduro feature. If i m going to replace my DRZ SM also ill get a CRF450 but idont care for the estart on this because it wouldnt be a problem!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

It all comes down to what kind of riding you plan to do. If you ride cross country or trails I would suggest an electric start. If you ride motocross then I would not want the extra ten or eleven pounds that an electric start adds. You can put an electric start on any four stroke so I would not make a purchase based on an electric start I would look more at motor, suspension, price, etc. And as stated earlier, if you can not kick the bike over then you need to be playing soccer, it only requires one ball to play.

P.S. Look online at racer-x, transworld motocross, dirt bike magazine or buy a mag and read about the bikes you are interested in.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: 4stroke questions (motohed)

i had a DR350 before kicker but never tried a 4stroke CRF/YZF with kicker..

well i have some offers to trade my DRZ with a WR450... i just looking to get some offers from CRF people because i like this bike.

Brw it will be dirt and motard also. ill buy the wheels/brakes. I just cant live with out motard bike anymore

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

finally bought a 03 CRF450.. very clean with low hours and Super easy to start (first kick!!!!)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Congrats on the new bike!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice man. I was gonna say I got the KTM 450EXC with e-start and its not hard to start using the kickstarter.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: (Cozzb)

yeap just keep the valves on spect and fresh gas like latebraker said and it's like a walk in the park to kickstart it!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: (Giannis)

nice graphic kit, i have an 03, keep an eye on the valve lash, Ti valves will mushroom, but it's not a hard fix, any questions let me know

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: (JonnyRocket)

ugh i hate when i break my bike... also, the seal between the transmission and engine can go out, pumping all the tranny oil into the engine...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Looks good! I need to consider getting all new plastics in something other than red.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts