Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I think I have my wife coming around. The other day say mention if I purchase her some riding clothes she would ride with me or take day trips. I informed her that my 999 really isn't the best bike for that and she said "Oh I guess you'll need to get another bike then". This is the only the second time she shocked me. The first is when she looked up and said "I want a baby". So before she changes her mind I need some help. My learn is towards the Sport Tourer market. My current stealership has some good pricing and finance options on a Ducati ST3. My concerns here is with me using this bike on a daily basis are the valve adjustments and maintenance. My second choice is the new Triumph Sprint with the new 1050 triple. Only draw back with this bike is no deals. They sell what they get and don't need to offer any finance offers or price breaks. My last choice is to go right a cruiser. I about gagged when I looked at the Harley's but now that they are on the downward slide you can get some good deals. The stealership that has the Duc and Triumph also has Yamaha. The current V-Star Midnight Silverado looks like a very nice ride and it's priced similar to the ST3 and the Triumph. Yamaha also has some good finance deals as well. The cruiser also might appeal to the wife better since it's, well, a cruiser. So do I dive into the sport tour market or start my path down the "I'm old an getting fat" style of bikes? :)

-Duane (Doc)

PS Adventure Tourers are out. She thinks those are "Too ugly".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 2nd Bike - Help me decide before she changes her mind! (drthompson65)

Hey Doc look into BMW's. I think you would really like the new R 1200RT. Sounds like the perfect bike for you and your wife. You would still get alot of performance, handling, and comfort. Bike comes with ABS interlinked brakes, good size bags, heated hand grips, heated seat's, cruise control, and a nice radio. All under 20k. Fly out to SoCal and i'll make it worth your while.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 2nd Bike - Help me decide before she changes her mind! (evileli)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by evileli »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Doc look into BMW's. I think you would really like the new R 1200RT. Sounds like the perfect bike for you and your wife. You would still get alot of performance, handling, and comfort. Bike comes with ABS interlinked brakes, good size bags, heated hand grips, heated seat's, cruise control, and a nice radio. All under 20k. Fly out to SoCal and i'll make it worth your while.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

She didn't like the looks of those either.. Price budget is 13k max..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Reading what you are looking for the Honda VFR800 popped into my mind,,,,just my

Also, Honda has good deals and financing,,,,and you might be able to find new one a year or two old, and be able to work down on the pricing,,,,,leaving more money in your pocket for your wife's gear,,,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 2nd Bike - Help me decide before she changes her mind! (blkhalo996)

I would go for the sprint. I heard that the new Speed Triple is not comfortable for passengers. The Sprint is very capable and you could still take it to the track and beat up on unsuspecting riders.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

How about an FJR1300? The '06's are hitting the floors, and while they're usually spoken for, sometimes a buyer will give up his spot if he's changed his mind. And you see some nice used ones from time to time.

You can have your sport, and tour it too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Duane -

Multistrada 1000 S. Easy choice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: 2nd Bike - Help me decide before she changes her mind! (AZ Scott)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZ Scott »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How about an FJR1300? The '06's are hitting the floors, and while they're usually spoken for, sometimes a buyer will give up his spot if he's changed his mind. And you see some nice used ones from time to time.

You can have your sport, and tour it too!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That would be my first choice.......the guy who bought my Mille later sold it and got an FJR1300 so his wife could ride along with him.....sweet bike. The local Yamaha stealer had one a while back....some guy came in plunked down $500 to order one then when it came in, he couldn't get financing. Duh! So the stealer was selling it for list and they get to keep the $500 deposit. Kind of a silvery blue.....sweeeeet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: 2nd Bike - Help me decide before she changes her mind! (roadkill)

Duane look at this. http://www.moonmotorsports.com...07668
I've seen this in person, and it might as well be new. It was on my short list when I bought my BMW. I do agree that an R1200RT would be more comfy for her though. Moon has a 2002 that they would probably let you test ride with her to see what she thinks. You could probably even ride the BMW and the FJR back to back to check them out. What kind of distance are you looking to do? That can make a big difference in what you need. I love shopping for bikes!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: 2nd Bike - Help me decide before she changes her mind! (MNwilly)

Since I don't really know much about the Sprint, I thought I'd check it out. So just go to triumph.com right.? I have now forgotten what I was looking for.
I'd recommend a visit if you haven't been there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Actually I've looked at all the bikes mention here believe it or not.... Today she said she wanted a new minivan so I might loose again.. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

drthompson65 said:
Actually I've looked at all the bikes mention here believe it or not.... Today she said she wanted a new minivan so I might loose again.. :)[/QUOTE

Think the minivan has anything to do with her family expansion plan? She isn't dropping hints, she is going nuclear. Just like frogs.....if you put one in a pot and heat up the water real slow, it doesn't know that it is being cooked until it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

A minivan is punishment for shop lifting in some countries!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
drthompson65 said:
Actually I've looked at all the bikes mention here believe it or not.... Today she said she wanted a new minivan so I might loose again.. :)[/QUOTE

Think the minivan has anything to do with her family expansion plan? She isn't dropping hints, she is going nuclear. Just like frogs.....if you put one in a pot and heat up the water real slow, it doesn't know that it is being cooked until it is.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now she doesn't want the minivan but a new house.. Can you say BiPolar?! UGH!!! I think I might just go get the ST3.. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Does she like to ride fast? If not then maybe a touring cruiser would work the best, Yamaha silverados are really nice bikes as are the Kawasaki vulcan nomads. Then there is Harley-Davidson also, did you know that you can rent a Harley and if you end up buying a bike they will deduct the rental fee off of the new bike you buy. I think you can use up to $1000 in rental fees towards a new bike. An Electraglide would be an excellent 2up touring cruiser or even a Road King.

I think it is important to find a good dealer that you can work with who won't try add extra fees on at the last minute. As far as Harley dealers go, try the ones south of the metro area for better deals(Fairbault, Albert Lea, etc).

I'd go to some different dealers to see about test rides and maybe take her with to see what she likes. If she likes going fast then the FJR would be a great bike. Monday is probably the best day to see about test rides because most dealers are slowest then.

You already have a nice fast bike for you, so a bike for both of you means that comfort and ride quality is of more importance than something really fast in my opinion.

If you do look at Harleys, stay away from the Softails because they won't ride nearly as nice as the Electraglides, Road King's or the Superglide. I bought a '05 Superglide in June and have put 8500 miles on it already including a trip to the USGP and back. If you come down to first thursday next week I could let you take it for a ride.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drthompson65 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Now she doesn't want the minivan but a new house.. Can you say BiPolar?! UGH!!! I think I might just go get the ST3.. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had a guy give me some advice once that works well in many situations at work, and at home. If you don't ask, they can't say no!
My wife posed the question to me last fall. "When are you going to get a bike that I can ride on?" Two weeks later I asked her for a ride to the dealer to pick up the V Strom. She doesn't ride alot, but it works well for the amount of time she spends on the back.
To be perfectly honest though, I don't think I'll buy another Suzuki based on the service I've received this year.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drthompson65 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now she doesn't want the minivan but a new house.. Can you say BiPolar?! UGH!!! I think I might just go get the ST3.. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission..</TD></TR></TABLE>

The FJR1300 is the bike of your dreams......
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sp....aspx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

925 miles, you could probably get it for $11k. I might still buy this one.

Does Yamaha make a topcase for this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

They do make a top case for the FJR.

I thought about buying a FJR, but I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it under 85 MPH and probably would have wound up with an impressive list of speeding citations.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts