Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I wouldn't be very surprised if the listed 198kg is dry weight b/c of the heavier crank , cases , gears , etc. necessitated by the big-bang config . There just might be another muffler on the other side for the same reason . Needless to say , they're going for tractability and grip instead of the HP crown . There's nothing better than new ideas . Can't wait to try it !

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Too little info to draw any firm conclusions but given the hype being built up around this bike, it had better be good or it`ll be a real kick in the gonads for Kawi.....

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Question is??? did Kawasaki offer their MotoGp Droner or just wrapped the old
status quo Screamer with new body work???

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
I wouldn't be very surprised if the listed 198kg is dry weight b/c of the heavier crank , cases , gears , etc. necessitated by the big-bang config . There just might be another muffler on the other side for the same reason . Needless to say , they're going for tractability and grip instead of the HP crown . There's nothing better than new ideas . Can't wait to try it !
But the crank is identical to a even firing order inline four, according to what I have read. It just fires the pairs of pistons simultaneously instead of 360 degrees apart. If there's more weight to it, it's in the electric motor that smooths out the low rpm operation.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think if they keep it around 12 to 15k with decent parts/features and beat BMW they'll have a winner.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
The first true "Big Bang" four-cylinder engine ever unleashed on the masses?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
But the crank is identical to a even firing order inline four, according to what I have read. It just fires the pairs of pistons simultaneously instead of 360 degrees apart. If there's more weight to it, it's in the electric motor that smooths out the low rpm operation.

It's my understanding that even with a flat (180) crank , the extra stress of firing 2 cylinders together requires beefier parts . We'll see if the bike is indeed a big-bang as the rumours indicate .

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
nope, just sticking to the facts ;) Besides, the word baiting takes on a whole new meaning with Fester... anything that shows up on a computer screen inevitably results in some long-winded V4 distribe, dramatically broadenig the application of the word.....

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
It's my understanding that even with a flat (180) crank , the extra stress of firing 2 cylinders together requires beefier parts . We'll see if the bike is indeed a big-bang as the rumours indicate .
Yup, this was part of the problem Ducati had with their early Twin Pulse big bang 990 MGP motors when they wanted to move from the screamer 360 V4 format. They soon switched to a staggered pin big bang sequence, to allow a small spread of the crank torque and avoid breaking gears, clutch, etc while still having a nice, long rest period.

The motor can be built to withstand the double torque loads of course (assuming twin pulses simultaneously), but it'll clearly need to be stronger and heavier than a cross-plane or standard 180 sequence

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
LOL , so maybe they are going for the HP title with another screamer , as is Kawy's tradition . That single , small muffler alone indicates it can't be a true big-bang which I think would require more exhaust volume .

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
hmmmm, doesn't sound like a regular 180 I4 firing sequence to me. It also doesn't sound like a double twin-pulse, so I'm thinking it has a standard 180 I4 crank layout and fires 2 pistons at the same time, but the other 2 are sequenced normally, so 3 firing events per 720 degree cycle instead of 4.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
hmmmm, doesn't sound like a regular 180 I4 firing sequence to me. It also doesn't sound like a double twin-pulse, so I'm thinking it has a standard 180 I4 crank layout and fires 2 pistons at the same time, but the other 2 are sequenced normally, so 3 firing events per 720 degree cycle instead of 4.
I have always wondered how that set-up would work. From a traction standpoint I would think it would work well but the stress on the crank and drivetrain would be steep. BIke has a nice growl to it though...

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
I have always wondered how that set-up would work. From a traction standpoint I would think it would work well but the stress on the crank and drivetrain would be steep. BIke has a nice growl to it though...
Why would it be steep?

The two pistons firing together have less displacement than a single V-twin piston, and they are doing it through a shorter stroke, turning a crank with more rotational inertia than a v-twin crank.

What am I missing that makes this arrangement so hard on the crank and transmission?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts