·
Street and Track Moderator
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Street and Track Moderator
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the bike too. I really would like to see Tom Sykes and PBR do well next year in WSBK.

Matthew

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
I wonder if it is a coincidence that the two most powerful literbikes ever (BMW & new Kawi) both had issues early in their production run with engine reliability? Could it be that as the power race continues manufacturers are pushing what is possible with their production equipment?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I wonder if it is a coincidence that the two most powerful literbikes ever (BMW & new Kawi) both had issues early in their production run with engine reliability? Could it be that as the power race continues manufacturers are pushing what is possible with their production equipment?
Do you have details of what is the concern raised by Kawi?
There is nothing in the recall and I haven't seen anything official from Kawi elsewhere (other from vague claims of engine problem).

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
All we know at this point publicly is that the recall involves the engine and Kawasaki has taken the extreme measure of asking owners to return their bikes for a full refund.

When Aprilia had connecting rod problems with the RSV4, they were open about it and replaced the engines but owners had their bikes returned.

It might be something minor with Kwasaki, but their actions do not indicate that. Had it been something external to the engine they would have just recalled and retrofitted the parts.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
For those who don't need the latest , screaming deals can be found on non-current 08-10 ZX-10's . I can live with 161 wHP for 40% off MSRP ! But can I justify another insurance premium ?:banghead

·
Registered
4,178 Posts

All we know at this point publicly is that the recall involves the engine and Kawasaki has taken the extreme measure of asking owners to return their bikes for a full refund.

When Aprilia had connecting rod problems with the RSV4, they were open about it and replaced the engines but owners had their bikes returned.

It might be something minor with Kwasaki, but their actions do not indicate that. Had it been something external to the engine they would have just recalled and retrofitted the parts.
I think you need to look a bit broader - look beyond the obvious.

1st off it's no coincidence when you consider Aprilia has had issues too and is nowhere near the most powerrful bike out there so that eliminates that theory.

2nd, Kawasaki has had recalls, like all manufacturers before, and are very proactive in addressing them. Think of the 2004 ZX10R where the cast wheels had issues. Kawasaki recalled them before any issues occured - I know and appreciated it since I owned one. Pretty heads up imo. In contrast, Aprilia had issues reported before they addressed it so you've got to ask yourself which is more open and upfront, possibly both but imo at the moment Kawasaki, known for their dead reliable motors is making sure they maintain that image by addressing it at the forefront.

3rd, given the current climate, namely a severely depressed market which has lead to a more conservative mindset regarding purchases esp. notable in the aftermath of the Toyota debacle and it's no surprise that manufacturers are being more proactive in addressing even the slightest issues asap.

IMO, if you are a Kawasaki fan, I ccertainly am, this will not dissuade you but reinforce your opinion of the company. The Aprilia and BMW recall didn't destroy their sales and this won't destroy Kawasaki's new ZX10R sales either. Better than trying to deal with Honda and their regulator / rectifier issue / non-issue after the fact imo, another issue I had to live with.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I want one in a bad way..
:rockon

every since Kawasaki returned to the mindset that spawned the widow-maker 500 H1 I've been wanting another Zx10. I owned the H1, H2, 1000R and ZX10 and nothing beats the raw brutality of a Ninja.

I like and acknowledge the engineering of the BMW and Aprilia but there's something to be said for the blunt force trama that is a Kawasaki.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
I think you need to look a bit broader - look beyond the obvious.

1st off it's no coincidence when you consider Aprilia has had issues too and is nowhere near the most powerrful bike out there so that eliminates that theory.
This wasn't a bash on BMW or Kawasaki.

Just because Aprilia had issues doesn't prevent this from being an issue with other manufacturers as they push the power envelope. We will see when Suzuki makes a 190 hp bike if their engine lasts.

Aprilia is Italian after all, all bets are off...

·
Registered
983 Posts
From Motorcycledaily.com

We may never know, officially, why Kawasaki has put a “technical hold” on the sale of 2011 ZX-10Rs, and is even willing to buy back those few units already sold, but Internet chatter may be shedding some light on things. It appears Kawasaki has agreed to replace the engine in one existing customer’s bike, and some knowledgeable engine builders are speculating that a piston ring design in the new ZX-10R engine could pose some long-term reliability issues, including excessive oil consumption.

Whatever the problem is, I think we have to give Kawasaki credit for trying to make things right before a large number of ZX-10Rs are in consumers’ garages.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
This wasn't a bash on BMW or Kawasaki.

Just because Aprilia had issues doesn't prevent this from being an issue with other manufacturers as they push the power envelope. We will see when Suzuki makes a 190 hp bike if their engine lasts.

Aprilia is Italian after all, all bets are off...
I have a gut feeling that when Suzuki comes out with their bike it will not have any major issues. :twocents

1 - 20 of 58 Posts