Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Mr.Kawasaki (my friend and neighbor Marv) ain't impressed with the same old
engine... he is waiting for the MotoGp firing order...

ENGINE
"Although the basic architecture of the engine, including its Inline-Four
configuration, firing order and bore and stroke measurements are identical to the
previous model year, many of the internal parts have been reworked."

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Easier to move the Rock of Gibraltar with your mind than to get Fester to understand something.....:wacky

·
Registered
527 Posts
~ One hundred seventy rwHP , adaptive race-TC , feathery weight , for a realistic non-current 2012 price of $9000 :clapper !! I love the Japanese .

·
calculating status...
1,667 Posts
"But if you can turn-off your brain and put 100% faith in the electronics it’s simply incredible... "

There's no going back.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Just the latest disposable bike from Japan. Emminently capable, probably dead-reliable, and completely boring. Will be forgotten by most before the guy's 48th payment is made on it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Just the latest disposable bike from Japan. Emminently capable, probably dead-reliable, and completely boring. Will be forgotten by most before the guy's 48th payment is made on it.
No doubt some bikes are special from the start (like the RC51 and 916) but I don't think I'd call such an ostensibly capable machine as the new Ninja " completely boring ." If I can get a non-current '11 model for 40% under MSRP (which is likely as I've found similar deals before) , I'm laughing all the way to the track knowing a slower , less reliable Italian machine would have cost twice that . "Soul" has its place but damn , usable power and speed can be intoxicating !!

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
The thing is that Japan Inc. constantly one-ups each other in the literbike war, but have the bikes really gotten that much better for the normal customer? I say not really in the last 10 years.

The bikes have more powerful engines for sure, and suspension and brakes are probably better stock (although most still "upgrade" those components). Tires are definitely improved.

So what have the tradeoffs been? For one, they have been downsized. Put someone 6'2" on them and they look ridiculous. Monkey ****ing a football. Wind protection is next to nil, and the ergonomics are GP extreme. Second most of that power increase has been the result of higher revs. At normal speeds they aren't much better than those bikes of a decade ago. Weight is generally less, but at the cost of what? Frames used to bend when crashed, now (GSXR) can break when wheelied. The CBR drinks oil because of flimsy low friction piston rings, old man Honda is probably turning over in his grave. The push for lighter weight & thinner components have undoubtedly resulted in a less durable product.

This is OK with the Japanese though because in two years this bike will be old news as Honda-Suzuki-Yamaha all produce bikes that put in at the back of the bus. Assuming it hasn't been totalled in a crash anyway, which is a big assumption on a bike where 100 mph feels like 40.

The bikes have become so extreme, so specialized at being track-fast, that the average rider has been left behind. A sane street rider will never approach the limits of the ZX-10.

So if anyone wants to piss away $15k+ buying one & setting it up for their three trackdays next year, have at it. In the real world the bike is complete overkill.

·
Registered
527 Posts
sburns ,
1) The Big Four do up each other but enjoy it brother 'cause it's not going to last too much longer with increasing fuel and insurance costs .
2) I like the trend to smaller , lighter bikes 'cause I'm only 5'10''/160:D .
3) I haven't seen any declining reliability trend among Japanese bikes , quite the contrary ; you seem to have a skewed pessimistic view:confused: .
4) Granted the 600's seem to have become uncomfortable track weapons that need to be wrung out but ironically the torquey 1K's are more fun on the street .
5) True these repli-racers have more capability than the average rider but they're fun at 7/10ths too . And with the new e-aids , more of this performance is available to us mere mortals .
6) I like the continuous technological march that makes previous bikes obsolete . It keeps us from obsessing on relics like a certain old Honda ;) .
7) The best part is the silly deals which are always possible with Japanese bikes . MotoGP tech for the price of a used Civic isn't pissing anything away !

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
Kawasaki has a solution for "weighty" literbike riders who don't race: Ninja 1000.

Problem is that "large" street riders don't want the right motorcycle for them. They want the right motorcycle for a racer. Even though they are not racing.

...at least in the US, where "what I wish other people saw me to be" is more important than being happy with what you really are.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
The thing is that Japan Inc. constantly one-ups each other in the literbike war, but have the bikes really gotten that much better for the normal customer? I say not really in the last 10 years.

The bikes have more powerful engines for sure, and suspension and brakes are probably better stock (although most still "upgrade" those components). Tires are definitely improved.

So what have the tradeoffs been? For one, they have been downsized. Put someone 6'2" on them and they look ridiculous. Monkey ****ing a football. Wind protection is next to nil, and the ergonomics are GP extreme. Second most of that power increase has been the result of higher revs. At normal speeds they aren't much better than those bikes of a decade ago. Weight is generally less, but at the cost of what? Frames used to bend when crashed, now (GSXR) can break when wheelied. The CBR drinks oil because of flimsy low friction piston rings, old man Honda is probably turning over in his grave. The push for lighter weight & thinner components have undoubtedly resulted in a less durable product.

This is OK with the Japanese though because in two years this bike will be old news as Honda-Suzuki-Yamaha all produce bikes that put in at the back of the bus. Assuming it hasn't been totalled in a crash anyway, which is a big assumption on a bike where 100 mph feels like 40.

The bikes have become so extreme, so specialized at being track-fast, that the average rider has been left behind. A sane street rider will never approach the limits of the ZX-10.

So if anyone wants to piss away $15k+ buying one & setting it up for their three trackdays next year, have at it. In the real world the bike is complete overkill.
Wow! My sentiments exactly.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Kawasaki has a solution for "weighty" literbike riders who don't race: Ninja 1000.

Problem is that "large" street riders don't want the right motorcycle for them. They want the right motorcycle for a racer. Even though they are not racing.

...at least in the US, where "what I wish other people saw me to be" is more important than being happy with what you really are.
Exactly! Maybe that is why the older (physically larger) bikes are more interesting to me. Perhaps I should change "completely boring" to "completely irrelevant and uninteresting" for the new 10.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That is why I bought my Speed Triple. It makes much more sense than my ZX-10 for the street. My ZX-10 is basically just a track bike now and it is still supremely capable at almost 7 years old. I don't owe anything on it and I can do what I want to it. I pretty much hate riding it on the street though because it is setup well for the track but horribly for street riding. I always feel uncomfortable on it after riding around on my Triumph. It feels great at the track but it's supposed to. I understand people want to have others see them as racers like what was mentioned, but they are missing out on some awesome bikes that would fit their riding styles much better. I love my Speed Triple and I think it's the perfect street bike for me.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
That is why I bought my Speed Triple. It makes much more sense than my ZX-10 for the street. My ZX-10 is basically just a track bike now and it is still supremely capable at almost 7 years old. I don't owe anything on it and I can do what I want to it. I pretty much hate riding it on the street though because it is setup well for the track but horribly for street riding. I always feel uncomfortable on it after riding around on my Triumph. It feels great at the track but it's supposed to. I understand people want to have others see them as racers like what was mentioned, but they are missing out on some awesome bikes that would fit their riding styles much better. I love my Speed Triple and I think it's the perfect street bike for me.
+1 on the Speed Triple.

At the end of the day, when this planet goes "Beyond Thunderdome!", as long as we can outrun Pirates and Law Enforcement then it rates as a good street bike. hahahahahahahahhahaha

Pretty much any bike from '96 with sport DNA can get the job done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts