Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
If you can live with decidedly un-Honda build quality (the bike's built in Italy, at the Atessa factory) that may be worth a try.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Fair point but TBH I haven't heard anything bad about the build quality and many Euro mags really rate it highly, then again, I haven't exactly been keeping my ear ot the ground on this one. Still I can't imagine Honda letting a subsidiary lower their build quality standards significantly.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Most common issues are nuisances: the rear LED cluster will go completely AWOL, paint will flake or go dull and seat cover will come loose.
Less common issues are erratic idle and water pump failure.
To be honest Honda has honored all warranty claims quickly and without questions. That letter I wrote them when they left my bike without a rear shock for almost a month must have paid dividends. ;)

On the plus side the bike's really good: suspensions are decent quality and with sound OE settings, there's plenty of power and gearing is just about right. ABS is available as an optional.
2011 colors are black, white and tricolour:

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
Selling naked street bikes in the US only works if you are satisfied with the sales numbers Triumph had in 2002. The American market is brutal. Every year a dozen pranksters write "bring it here please" letters to the magazines and then the naked bikes sit on showroom floors until kids born in that model year are old enough to ride.

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Mercy Honda... a naked I4 is still the same old status quo I4...

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Selling naked street bikes in the US only works if you are satisfied with the sales numbers Triumph had in 2002. The American market is brutal. Every year a dozen pranksters write "bring it here please" letters to the magazines and then the naked bikes sit on showroom floors until kids born in that model year are old enough to ride.
The issue is a bit complicated. Ever since about 2006 Honda dealers have started complaining about a lack of models. In Europe they asked for a big trailie to follow on the outstanding success of the Africa Twin and a new big tourer to follow on the widely popular ST1100: both the Varadero and the ST1300 failed to live up to expectations. In the US it was about entry level cruisers to take on the H-D 883 and 1200 models and a completely redesigned Goldwing to keep up with offering from BMW and Kawasaki. The only model which materialized is the Shadow 750, which is really little more than an assembly of preexisting parts.
Now dealers are seriously scared and have begged Honda to do something right now. Something right now means importing Euro models to the US since adapting them takes little work and bringing the VFR VTEC back from the dead (more on that later).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts