Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, with Yamaha kicking butt in Moto-GP and WSB as well as AMA, why is it that domestic showroom sales of the new R1 has fallen on their face?

The mags here in the US have repeatedly mentioned lack of power and the center of gravity being high on the bike. Yet, in Europe the bike gets glowing reviews.

I am intrigued with the distinct nature of the bike and was wondering if anybody here is riding the bike and what modifications they did to suspension, etc...to make it work and handle better. I would also be comparing the bike to my current 07 GSXR 750 in terms of performance.

Anybody have any thoughts or opinions?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Yamaha Motor Europe must be paying more for their advertising... the bike around here is a showroom anchor (have I said how much I love that phrase? Kudos to whoever invented it!) as well. I've only seen three of them: one on road, one on track... and one was one of Spies' bikes exhibited at a fair in Verona.
I have no doubt it's an excellent bike but there must be a good reason why people are just passing it over and getting either a BMW or a Honda.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
The R1 isn't selling well in Canada either , with dealers offering huge discounts , probably b/c it loses in the spec sheet battle although it's actually very quick . When the bike was released , the N. American mags too gushed over it , praising the intuitive/direct throttle control , quick acceleration , and addictive sound even if the front suspension was too soft . Personally , I think the crossplane design will be remembered as a milestone in sportbike design .:notworthy . I'd buy one above the others if I were in the market for an ss .

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Sorry, but maybe it's because the new generation of bikes are FUGLY??? :confused:

Right now if you were buying a new Japanese Sportbike bike on looks alone, one would be hard pressed not to consider a GSXR or ZX10 on the basis of looks alone. The Honda's Autistic and the R1 looks like a dwarf of it's former self.

From Italy, the Aprilia looks made for 160lb-ers. The 1098 has a decent size but has a no compromise riding position and the BMW takes ugly-sexy to a new level. lol

Let's go back to a time when tail sections were sexy. :D Good times were had by all.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
There are tons left over in dealerships, 2009 and 2010. For whatever reason the bike does not seem desirable to the buying public.

Lowest I have seen was $9500 OTD for a yellow 2009. Wait another few months and it will get lower.

I'm thinking hard about a leftover 2007 still in the crate. It looks much better IMO.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
There are tons left over in dealerships, 2009 and 2010. For whatever reason the bike does not seem desirable to the buying public.

Lowest I have seen was $9500 OTD for a yellow 2009. Wait another few months and it will get lower.

I'm thinking hard about a leftover 2007 still in the crate. It looks much better IMO.
I would grab that '07!

·
Banned
929 Posts
They're ugly and slow. That explains all of it.

If they throw a huge discount at it like Honda did on their 08 CBR's then I might get one next year.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
They're ugly and slow. That explains all of it.

If they throw a huge discount at it like Honda did on their 08 CBR's then I might get one next year.
The ugly part is certainly hurting them, it doesn't look as good in person as in pictures.

As far as the slow part, I don't know. They won the WSBK title last year and probably will win the AMA title this year. It has to be guys buying on spec sheet and "street cred", because I would guess there aren't 100 guys in the US that could ride one to its limits on the track, and it is overkill on the street (like all literbikes).

The CBR is similar and great comparison. Quite ugly, at least its performance was never in question. Dealers had leftover '08 this spring for less than eight grand. Performance bargain for sure.

It goes without saying but it has to be incredibly hard to design and manufacture these bikes. If you are 2% down on hp, or have edgy styling that doesn't catch on, the bike is a complete failure. Not even Yamaha's attempt at differentiation, the cross-plane crank, seems to have helped.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
I would grab that '07!
We will see what happens, they still have the bike. I exchanged a few emails with the dealership and am waiting for a response to specific questions about the 5 yr warranty and if this '07 qualifies for the current Yamaha housecleaning promotion (Ginormous sales event). Neither would really prevent me from buying it at the price, but if the salesman can't take 5 minutes to check and give me the information back I will probably forget it. Lots of bikes, new and used, available these days at great prices.

Yamaha : YZF-R: eBay Motors (item 140447682774 end time Sep-05-10 13:55:27 PDT)

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
I'm willing to bet there's alot of guys out there thinking as I do too... Here's my :twocents on the R1>>>-----> The numbers don't mean shit to me,... Plus I think the R1 is an Awesome looking MC.... The ONLY reason I Will NOT buy anything like this is because IMHO there's too much Electronic crap going on!:twocents
Those of you who think the new BMW is ugly:confused: You really NEED to go see one in the flesh because It IS another Awesome MC!:rockon But also, it is one I'll never buy.

·
Registered
471 Posts
R1

I traded my 07.5 aprilia tuono in on a 09 Yami R1 I did because I missed riding sportbike's.So far I think it's a very good bike,still sorting out te suspension added woodcraft 1" riser clip on's -sato rear sets,yosh slip on's and Y pipe.Alot of heat coming from the engine but getting used to that.With the slip on's sound's like my 03 RC should've sounded.The map switch is nice to have a big difference between standard and race.I 'm not an aggresive rider on the street so it is alot of overkill but still alot of fun.You also get used to he look of it.

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
The new R1 has the beer... (droner crank) now all it needs is the tits... (R7
exoticness)... Yamaha's R1 is too old... too fat and too cheap...

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts
So, with Yamaha kicking butt in Moto-GP and WSB as well as AMA, why is it that domestic showroom sales of the new R1 has fallen on their face?
WTF are you talking about? EVERYONE here knows that Rossi is a sales machine and he pays for himself in bike sales and he's just an all around savior of everything two wheels. You insinuating that Yamahas aren't selling is pure bullshit cuz Rossi rides one and is a sales MACHINE!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,178 Posts

The mags here in the US have repeatedly mentioned lack of power and the center of gravity being high on the bike. Yet, in Europe the bike gets glowing reviews.

I am intrigued with the distinct nature of the bike and was wondering if anybody here is riding the bike and what modifications they did to suspension, etc...to make it work and handle better. I would also be comparing the bike to my current 07 GSXR 750 in terms of performance.

Anybody have any thoughts or opinions?
Not sure about those "glowing reviews" in Europe. The R1 placed last on the BIKE tests and iirc didn't do much better in the other European bike mag tests.

It's down on bhp to the field and isn't the best handler despite what Spies did with it in WSC. This season the results are nowhere near as close, showing how much was Spies v. the bike in WSC.

Last two seasons the bike mag tests have been dominated by the CBR and now the S1000RR.

In reality, none of this matters, all of the bikes are OTT so pick your favourite colour and model and buy without an issue and yes they are all much faster than your 07 GSXR750 but the question is are you even going to see one bhp difference on the street or even on the track? The GSXR750 is really an excellent machine imo and also is in that OTT category.

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
Ugly, heavy & low power is translated to "slow" on a spec sheet for a large part of the client base for these bikes. End of story.

Going from the fastest, prettiest, lightweight, most "Italian" looking volume production Japanese sportbike of all time when introduced in the late 90's to the slowest, ugliest bike in the current crop has had its affect on sales.

And I agree, the BMW is awesome looking in the flesh.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
We will see what happens, they still have the bike. I exchanged a few emails with the dealership and am waiting for a response to specific questions about the 5 yr warranty and if this '07 qualifies for the current Yamaha housecleaning promotion (Ginormous sales event). Neither would really prevent me from buying it at the price, but if the salesman can't take 5 minutes to check and give me the information back I will probably forget it. Lots of bikes, new and used, available these days at great prices.

Yamaha : YZF-R: eBay Motors (item 140447682774 end time Sep-05-10 13:55:27 PDT)
I hear you. I've never been overly concerned about warranties as manufacturers always fight tooth and nail so they don't have to honor them.

The '07 was not known to be a troublesome model either. The '07 grew on me as I didn't like it too much at first but after a while I liked it because it reminded me of the '02 model with the sharp lines.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
because its heavier, has less power, and doesnt look as good as the others. this shit isnt rocket science. i have an 07, gonna ride my buddies 09 soon, hes got an 09, 07, and 04. i had an 01. r1s are awesome, but i wouldnt buy a new one unless it was a steal. bmw honda suzuki. kawasaki looks like a pile of vomit as usual. they are asshats for not sticking to the 03/04 636 style.

how much does the 09/10 r1 engine weigh? is that where the extra weight is?

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Yes, some is in the engine for the cross-plane but some of it is likely in the exhaust for the latest noise and pollution regs.
True... Yamaha's cross plane crank journals are bigger than the competitors
I4s... but just think of crank weight saved if Yamaha goes with a real V4...
(about 8 lbs)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts