Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about done with a sportbike for the street. I will keep my race bike for thrills
Looking at the Sport Tourer class of bikes. The front runners are the BMW R1200RT, the FJR1300 and the new Honda VFR. Interested in opinions of theses bikes- the VFR especially. Thanks!

·
lidzduc.blogspot.com
3,578 Posts
I have an 06 RT- very nice sport tourer, but more toward the touring side, unless you upgrade the suspension with Ohlins. Then it's a decent sporty tourer. Nowhere near as fast as the others listed, although in the right hands you'll be able to "hang" with the others- (I've held my own 2-up against a FJR!)
Remember though, that maintance wise it's above the others in time and ease of adjustment!!
I'm coming from a Ducati ST2 (that I still own), which is another great choice (specially with a piston kit)...but it's not as comfortable...........sounds great, though!:D

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I also have an R1200RT. I can only give it the highest possible recommendation. I have one of the very last Hexhead models built in 2009: as is usual with BMW the later you buy the bike, the better.
Tricklidz rightly said one of the weak spots of early RT's were suspensions. BMW must have thought the same because starting in 2008 ESA-equipped bikes came equipped with WP shocks as standard. 2008 also saw a new ABS and combined braking system fitted which is sportier than the original equipment.
Differently from the Japanese BMW is continuously updating models, even during the same model year, often including include many small fixes and mods which aren't immediately obvious. Not all these fixes are for the good: in 2006 they ditched the excellent dual horn for an ordinary pancake unit. Good thing is the dual horn is the same as the old 5 series saloon (hence available on the cheap) and BMW left the wiring and mounting holes in in place so it's just a straight swap! :D

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Serious question, what's the point of a sport tourer anyway? :D

IMHO, if you already own a race/track bike to feed your need for speed at the track, why bother with sport anything on the street?

That's just my thoughts but then again Im not 25yrs old anymore either. I just acquired a used 1200LT late last summer and LOVE IT. There is nothing sweeter than going for a nice long ride in comfort, with plenty of baggage space, tunes, etc......but again, that's just my take. Just adding some food for thought.

Oh...with all that said, I was very impressed with the fit n finish of the VFR at the bike show, if you're really into that sort of thing. :D

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Miguel owns the new 1200 Veefalo and this is his site dedicated to all Honda V4s...
VFR Discussion - Home

·
lidzduc.blogspot.com
3,578 Posts
Sport Tourer= Performance + Comfort + Two Up Capable.

Socal. I can't believe that you cited this video to explain what sport touring is about and the BMW specifically. That exact video is the reason I bought the BMW!--:D I was so moved by the "romance" of it that I bought the same bike (different color) the next week. May be the best marketing video I have ever seen---still gives me shivers. :clapper BMW marketing dept.
Watching it again, makes me yearn for spring.
BTW- the bike is nice too.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I was only mildly joking about the ST question.

My friends father has an '06 RT and he loves it. He's the one that talked me into buying the LT. BMW makes a good bike!

If I didn't own a track bike and run a few trackdays/yr I'd probably have the urge for an ST too but until that day arrives I'll enjoy speed/performance riding on the track and maximum comfort on the street. :)

Besides, anyone see that guy they call yellow wolf at the gap?!?!
You can have it both ways if you ride like him....LOL!

·
lidzduc.blogspot.com
3,578 Posts
I've seen the WOLF on vids at the Gap...but, He knows the road and rides solo--the Wing and LT are just too big for the stuff I'm looking for---2-up, mostly!!
I can pack more than enough stuff for 2 people for a wk...I have heated grips, adj windshield, cruise, XM, GPS,MP3,Intercom,Russell Daylong saddles, Ohlins susp, and easy 1hr valve adjustments...no radiator to worry about, etc.
What more could ya want---yeah, maybe a little more HP- but that's what the 999R trackbike is for:D
Enjoy.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I am about done with a sportbike for the street. I will keep my race bike for thrills
Looking at the Sport Tourer class of bikes. The front runners are the BMW R1200RT, the FJR1300 and the new Honda VFR. Interested in opinions of theses bikes- the VFR especially. Thanks!
I've owned more sport-touring style bikes and done more sport-touring type riding than sportbike/trackday type of riding over the last 20 yrs. IMO the sport touring category continues to split down the line of more sport or more tour and tbh if I wasn't into big off-road enduros and actually did off-road riding I would own an RT or ST. The neat thing is once you get into the big adventure bikes or ST bikes you will wonder why you wasted the cash on a sportbike for the street. Better visibility, same performance on the road unless you have a death wish, virtually invisible to the cops and far far more comfy.

The new VFR, as you know, is definitely more sport, albeit not compared to old VFR models, while the ST13 is more tour but the line is so blurred these days I don't think there's anything in it. Typical Honda, the pictures do not do this bike justice. IMO Honda has always had the VFR as its halo street model and this new VFR really shows it, it's got all the toys and tech. whereas the other mfg use the superbike for that normally.

The RT imo is an excellent model and definitely blurs the line further. BMW had a 12ST model which was, to be kind, aesthetically unappealing but a dream to ride imo. The problem for the 12ST was the 12RT. The 12RT is the bike most GS owners should have and most 12ST owners or those who wanted a 12ST ended up buying because it does everything.

FJR 13, nothing bad about it imo although many have complained it is a bit cramped and overheating on early models iirc. Test ride and decide for yourself if it fits but imo it's a quality model.

Concours, more tour than sport, but prices of this bike seem very competitive, Kawasaki being one of the lesser refined models. A riding buddy of mine moved from the 1150RT to the Kawi and after 2 seasons wants his RT back... You get what you pay for sometimes. Still imo the Kawi is worth it.

Triumph has a new model ST coming out but I don't think they will get the weight down on it to be comparable to the others. Triumphs in this class tend to run heavier. Still, what a motor!

As a possible alternative option, have you considered something more mid-way like the Bandit, Vstrom (yeah I know it's no looker but...), etc. Far cheaper to run, buy and still frees up plenty for other pursuits.

IMO the Bandit and Vstrom are the best bang for the buck bikes out there. There are contemporaries to be sure but I am speaking about this class as a whole too. The Bandit and Vstrom OTD pricing is amazing. The Vstrom can go anywhere comfy.

When I had my 12GS and did 84,000 km in 2 seasons of riding the bike I continued to see more often than any other, cruisers excluded, was the Vstrom, two-up with all bags. It may not stir the soul as a Ducati would or the RT tbh but it does the job for considerably less coin. That said, the same buddy who I mentioned above still yearning for another RT had a Vstrom too. He still wants the RT.

Then there is the plethora of used bikes. Really want ot mess with your head, remember this is the sprot-touring category where people actually follow maintenance procedures and bring their bikes in for regular service and do not absue the clutch, driveline, brakes etc. in efforts to try and impress down at Starbucks. The used market for these bikes is excellent and the prices enviable.

Good luck.

·
lidzduc.blogspot.com
3,578 Posts
I've owned more sport-touring style bikes and done more sport-touring type riding than sportbike/trackday type of riding over the last 20 yrs. IMO the sport touring category continues to split down the line of more sport or more tour and tbh if I wasn't into big off-road enduros and actually did off-road riding I would own an RT or ST. The neat thing is once you get into the big adventure bikes or ST bikes you will wonder why you wasted the cash on a sportbike for the street. Better visibility, same performance on the road unless you have a death wish, virtually invisible to the cops and far far more comfy.

The new VFR, as you know, is definitely more sport, albeit not compared to old VFR models, while the ST13 is more tour but the line is so blurred these days I don't think there's anything in it. Typical Honda, the pictures do not do this bike justice. IMO Honda has always had the VFR as its halo street model and this new VFR really shows it, it's got all the toys and tech. whereas the other mfg use the superbike for that normally.

The RT imo is an excellent model and definitely blurs the line further. BMW had a 12ST model which was, to be kind, aesthetically unappealing but a dream to ride imo. The problem for the 12ST was the 12RT. The 12RT is the bike most GS owners should have and most 12ST owners or those who wanted a 12ST ended up buying because it does everything.

FJR 13, nothing bad about it imo although many have complained it is a bit cramped and overheating on early models iirc. Test ride and decide for yourself if it fits but imo it's a quality model.

Concours, more tour than sport, but prices of this bike seem very competitive, Kawasaki being one of the lesser refined models. A riding buddy of mine moved from the 1150RT to the Kawi and after 2 seasons wants his RT back... You get what you pay for sometimes. Still imo the Kawi is worth it.

Triumph has a new model ST coming out but I don't think they will get the weight down on it to be comparable to the others. Triumphs in this class tend to run heavier. Still, what a motor!

As a possible alternative option, have you considered something more mid-way like the Bandit, Vstrom (yeah I know it's no looker but...), etc. Far cheaper to run, buy and still frees up plenty for other pursuits.

IMO the Bandit and Vstrom are the best bang for the buck bikes out there. There are contemporaries to be sure but I am speaking about this class as a whole too. The Bandit and Vstrom OTD pricing is amazing. The Vstrom can go anywhere comfy.

When I had my 12GS and did 84,000 km in 2 seasons of riding the bike I continued to see more often than any other, cruisers excluded, was the Vstrom, two-up with all bags. It may not stir the soul as a Ducati would or the RT tbh but it does the job for considerably less coin. That said, the same buddy who I mentioned above still yearning for another RT had a Vstrom too. He still wants the RT.

Then there is the plethora of used bikes. Really want ot mess with your head, remember this is the sprot-touring category where people actually follow maintenance procedures and bring their bikes in for regular service and do not absue the clutch, driveline, brakes etc. in efforts to try and impress down at Starbucks. The used market for these bikes is excellent and the prices enviable.

Good luck.
Great reply. When I bought the RT I was considering an GS (it was even cheaper) because we had done a 8 day tour of N.Cal on one in 04. But then I looked at them side by side and thought, am I really going to ever take that thing off road, two-up, ever?? I think you hit the nail on the head when you stated that the GS are owned by people who should be on an RT---I think it's kind of a cult/status symbol (ala- Harley) in a way. Most of them are spotless and have never seen dust nevermind DIRT!
BUT--when I finally retire, I'll trade the RT in on a GS so we can ride to Alaska and back---swapping street rubber for trail rubber in Washington.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Great reply. When I bought the RT I was considering an GS (it was even cheaper) because we had done a 8 day tour of N.Cal on one in 04. But then I looked at them side by side and thought, am I really going to ever take that thing off road, two-up, ever?? I think you hit the nail on the head when you stated that the GS are owned by people who should be on an RT---I think it's kind of a cult/status symbol (ala- Harley) in a way. Most of them are spotless and have never seen dust nevermind DIRT!
BUT--when I finally retire, I'll trade the RT in on a GS so we can ride to Alaska and back---swapping street rubber for trail rubber in Washington.
Thx. Yeah you've got it right. It's the same as sportbike guys never hitting the track but instead of dreaming their Rossi they think they are someone on the Paris-Dakar or Long Way Round. Fantasy fuels the reality. :cool:

I loved my GS, best bike I've ever owned because it fit like a glove from day one but there's no denying it was more of a handful offroad than most enduros given its size. Still once used to it, and its limitations, it can do the job and take you nearly everywhere a KLR or 640 ADV can go, albeit slower. I went everywhere offroad with it. Warning :D - think of it as a jeep. If you buy it, it won't stay stock for long, even if you never go offroad, you and companies like Touratech will be fast friends as you suddenly see all the things your bike must have :rolleyes: . When I got the HP2 it was more my style, travel lighter, still enjoy that boxer motor, and go to places I would never go on an RT; I bought virtually nothing for it. When I had the 12GS man I went nuts on the accessories to a tune I do not wish to discuss, it's still too painful. :p

Another thing to consider socal, :D , if you think you are going to save money because insurance is low, tires last longer and less tickets, wait until you see the aftermarket on the sport-touring bikes. Your wallet is going to have a heart attack. :cool: Good luck.

·
Registered
429 Posts
No one mentioned the new Multistrada 1200? If you are going to be looking at RT's, you owe it to yourself to ride the duc, even if just to compare.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts