Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sub-average Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2007 CBR1000RR Front Wheel Swap - COMPLETE WITH SPECS!

Hi fellas. Here's the deal. I've searched a few threads on this swap to a SP2, and I find a lot of shorten this, measure that, and there aren't a lot of concrete details. I don't want to make captive spacers.

I'm hoping someone will tell me what OEM parts to use to make this front wheel fit my SP2. I was naive in thinking that merely swapping the bearings, seals, and inner bearing collar to SP2 stuff would work, utilizing the SP2 outer wheel spacers. I know that I'll have to make or modify the outer spacers, right?

Can anyone outline, specifically, what Honda OEM part numbers I need? So far, I have brand new SP2 bearings, seals, and inner collar. Using 2007 CBR1000RR rotors on the 2007 CBR1000RR wheel.

Yes, I viewed this thread: http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/honda-rc51/69360-cbr-1000rr-wheels-sp1-spacer-measurments.html

Thanks for your time. I appreciate any input.

·
Sub-average Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just don't do it. I know it sucks to hear this but save yourself the headache.

If you want some killer wheels, I have a set and a few others just popped up in part out threads.
Had I done a little more homework before I had the front wheel coated, I probably would've taken your advice. It's not rocket science, and I'll get it, it's just gonna cost me for the spacers. The SP2 collar just needs to be shimmed 2mm. That's cake.

I'll try to outline my progress in this thread. We'll see what happens. :confused:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Go for it. I ran a set of '05 CBR 1000RR wheels on my RC51 for several years. I did it because I had the wheels with some sticky tires for track days on them, but I liked it so well I left them on. The CBR wheels were a pound or so lighter than my '02 RC wheels too.

·
Sub-average Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go for it. I ran a set of '05 CBR 1000RR wheels on my RC51 for several years. I did it because I had the wheels with some sticky tires for track days on them, but I liked it so well I left them on. The CBR wheels were a pound or so lighter than my '02 RC wheels too.
I believe your '05 front wheel is the same as my '07. How did you get yours to work? CBR1000RR bearings and captive spacers?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I went the opposite way and ran my SP1 wheels in my 07 blade so had to change the bearings for the larger 25mm axle and make a larger internal spacers between the bearings then made captive spacers for the seals. Easy peazy.

·
Sub-average Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went the opposite way and ran my SP1 wheels in my 07 blade so had to change the bearings for the larger 25mm axle and make a larger internal spacers between the bearings then made captive spacers for the seals. Easy peazy.
Interesting. Looks like I can't avoid making captive spacers. I'm up to the challenge.

·
Sub-average Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Measurements

First, the 2007 CBR1000RR:

RIGHT spacer (rounded to 13mm)

Collar (111mm)

LEFT spacer (rounded to 11mm)

Plus two (2) CBRKRR OEM front bearings @ 12mm width each = 159mm total length.

Next, the 2005 SP2:

RIGHT spacer (rounded to 16.5mm)

Collar (rounded to 109mm)

LEFT spacer (rounded to 9mm)

Plus two (2) SP2 OEM front bearings @ 14mm width each = 162.5mm total length (rounded)

Therefore, the difference in total length: (SP2) 162.5mm - (CBR) 159mm = 3.5mm

More in next post...

·
Sub-average Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Inner Collar Shim

Because the difference in collar length is 2mm between the CBRKRR and SP2, I had to shim it. This shim goes INSIDE the wheel, between the SP2 bearings. I'm using SP2 bearings to keep the 22mm ID across the entire axle. I'm NOT using the CBRKRR 25mm ID bearings or collar!!!

The SP2 collar is 3.8mm thick:

The shim I bought is 22x30x2, so the "lip" is 4mm per side, which is AWESOME!!!:

When adding the shim to the SP2 collar, it's 111mm, which is the same as the CBRKRR!!!:

THEREFORE, IT'S (almost) PERFECT!!!

The new (irrelevant for my purposes) overall difference in length is: 164.5mm - 159mm = 5.5mm

Therefore, I have to make new spacers that will bring the overall length back down to the stock SP2 length of 162.5mm between forks. I need to get rid of the 2 mm I added to make this swap work with the CBRKRR wheel.

Disclaimer: I'm not really thinking too hard about all this yet. I just wanted to post my findings. I'll do the math and final fit-up later to calculate how wide I need to get my spacers made. I may even be able to use the SP2 LEFT spacer, as-is.

For the record, I'm using a '07 CBRKRR front wheel with SP2 collar, 2mm shim, and SP2 bearings and dust seals. The rotors are the stock CBRKRR units that came on the wheel when I bought it.

I'll update this later. Does someone else want to finish the calculations this weekend for me??? =)

Cheers.

·
Sub-average Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Survey says....

Okay, so I spent some time playing with shims and spacers, and finally came up with a solution that works!!! Or, at least for me.

RIGHT spacer = 14mm

LEFT spacer = 8mm

RIGHT OUTSIDE rotor clearance

RIGHT INSIDE rotor clearance

LEFT INSIDE rotor clearance

LEFT OUTSIDE rotor clearance

You probably can't see it in my horrible pics, but the CBR wheel's rotors are as centered between the brake pads as I could possibly get it. As a matter of fact, after I bolted up my stock SP2 wheel, those rotors were more off-center than the CBR wheel's rotors. Go figure.

In conclusion, I would like to say that you can totally get away with just using the stock SP2 LEFT spacer (9mm) for the CBRKRR wheel swap. One millimeter really won't matter, and may actually fit better, overall. I simply chose 8mm for the left side to center the left rotor a little better.

So the verdict:

22x30x14 RIGHT spacer

22x30x8 LEFT spacer

I hope this helps others who want a cheaper and lighter alternative to another set of SP1/2 track wheels. Remember: use SP2 bearings, collar (with 22x30x2 shim), and seals, and you're GOLDEN!! ENJOY!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts