Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that are new or don't remember my name on Monday August 22 my motorcycle's throttle will twist me out of Denver as I leave on my 3rd Ironbutt Rally. For 11 days straight I have one sole purpose: Ride my motorcycle and ride it far. Where we will go, we really have no idea. All that we do know is that we have 2 major checkpoints that we have to hit during the rally.

Start - Monday, August 22, 10 am
Denver Doubletree

Checkpoint 1 - Friday, August 26, 7 - 9pm
Denver Doubletree

Checkpoint 2 - Monday, August 29, 9am - 11am
Buxton, Maine 04093

Finish - Friday, September 2, 8am - 10am
Denver Doubletree

In other words the rally is essentially broken into three mini rallies: 105 hours, 58 hours, and 95 hours. In between those check points it will be up to us to decide where we want to ride based upon bonus locations we are given for that particular leg; it's essentially a scavenger hunt and North America is our playground. For example in the first 105 hours you could touch just about every state east of the Missouri River! No leeway is given to riders for mechanicals, weather, or road construction. Hopefully this year I won't be in the middle of the Nevada desert less then 24 hours from the start modifying my clutch with a coffee can lid! All said and done the top riders will travel anywhere between 10,000 and 13,000+ miles in the 11 days.

So wish me and the other riders luck and keep your eyes posted on http://www.ironbutt.com for updates on how we are doing and rider standings throughout the rally.

Kiecker.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 2005 Ironbutt Rally (Kiecker)

Rock on! Good luck this year. Can't wait for some posts after the race

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 2005 Ironbutt Rally (Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Rock on! Good luck this year. Can't wait for some posts after the race
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is NOT a race.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 2005 Ironbutt Rally (Rickster)

Hundreds, possibly thousands of people, on motorcycles going from one point to another in a set amount of time. Hmmmm.... Most, if not all are male....

Motorcycles + Testosterone + checkpoints = RACE!!!!

just kidding!!!!!! Wish I was going, though...

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 2005 Ironbutt Rally (andito77)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andito77 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hundreds, possibly thousands of people, on motorcycles going from one point to another in a set amount of time. Hmmmm.... Most, if not all are male....

Motorcycles + Testosterone + checkpoints = RACE!!!!

just kidding!!!!!! Wish I was going, though...

Andy</TD></TR></TABLE>

The field is limited to about 125 if I remember correctly, and all checkpoints are easily made at posted speed limits.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: 2005 Ironbutt Rally (Rickster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rickster »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It is NOT a race.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, rally is the word, it is not a race... no track, no corner workers, no grandstands, no umbrella girls..... but.... there is a clock, designated start and finish, standings during the event, awards at the end... but it is NOT a race, it is a rally

Again, good luck Kiecker - ride safe

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VFR #2. Bought another 2000 VFR last April. This one only has about 23,000 miles on it. The other one was getting tired around 86,000, but I rode it kind of hard.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Holy smokes, an Iron Butt Rally on my R6 would be about 1 hour 45 minutes. After that, you would not be able to feel anything so operating a throttle would be pure guesswork.

What exactly are the rules? In other words, could you "ride" the rally on your bike.....inside an air-conditioned trailer with a big screen TV, snacks, sodas and "sleazy umbrella chicks"? Technically, you are on a bike, you are on the road, you are making progress to the checkpoint. Is this "technicality" specifically addressed in the rule book?

In all seriousness.....you are a brave man to do this and I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how you are progressing. Post pics along the way. Have fun...or should I say, just survive.

Modified by roadkill at 8:02 PM 8/18/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: 2005 Ironbutt Rally (roadkill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Let us know how you are progressing. Post pics along the way. Have fun...or should I say, just survive.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

He'll have no time for that, however you can follow the rally at the web site.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I thought I'd add this link also in case anybody would like to follow the progress of some. Suppied by a friend that has over 90,000 trouble free miles on a ZX12R!!
http://rally.star-traxx.com/ Again.........the Rally starts on Monday

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Just read all that has been posted at http://www.ironbuttrally.com and it seems like the Wrecking Crew is doing it again this year. Hard to tell though. We will have to wait for the first checkpoint to see for real.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: 2005 Ironbutt Rally (BALLS)

Great link. It seems that Bob is in Bozeman right now. I am guessing that he is actually bike two on the startrax site.

Crazy guy needs to be in Denver between 7-9pm tonight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bozeman to Denver isnt a bad run actually. He will probably grab a few more points on the way in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts