Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm new here and have had interest in Ducati's for quite some time now, i currently own a 2003 RC51. My question to you guys and gals is what would be exceptable pricing for a new 2001 996 SPS with 11 miles on the odometer from a authorized Ducati Dealer if such an animal existed?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 2001 996 SPS pricing (hubert)

I didn't think they made a 2001 996 SPS. Wasn't it the 996r in 2001?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: 2001 996 SPS pricing (trussdude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trussdude »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didn't think they made a 2001 996 SPS. Wasn't it the 996r in 2001?</TD></TR></TABLE>

they were built in late 00 and labeled as 01 models. in 02, you're right, it was the 996R that was the official year model. i believe some of the late 00 (or 01) SPS bikes were used for the DRE event where female riders were given the SPS bikes as track demos.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: 2001 996 SPS pricing (trussdude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trussdude »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cool demo bike
</TD></TR></TABLE>

no joke!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: 2001 996 SPS pricing (Duc996SPS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Duc996SPS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm new here and have had interest in Ducati's for quite some time now, i currently own a 2003 RC51. My question to you guys and gals is what would be exceptable pricing for a new 2001 996 SPS with 11 miles on the odometer from a authorized Ducati Dealer if such an animal existed?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is that the one sitting at Batley Cycles in Gaithersburg? That would make a nice race bike

-Tifosi

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: 2001 996 SPS pricing (Duc996SPS)

My apologies, that was a 2000 996 SPS and that is the one at Batley's in Gaithersburg. They are asking $18,500 I was told that original list on the bike was $26,000 is there any truth to that at all and is the bike worth $18,500 ?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
original list was $25.5K I believe and you can buy nice SPS's for 15-16K range all day long via private party. For that kind of $$ you may consider a newer 999S and retain the short stroke motor similar to your 51 and with the added benefit of better brakes and suspension than the SPS has. The SPS will feel noticably lighter and rev faster than your bike so you're not givin away anything from your 51 goin with the SPS. I've logged alot of miles on both machines and the SPS is much nicer in every way if you can afford to maintain them (Ducati's)as needed.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (duc572)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duc572 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">..................... The SPS will feel noticably lighter and rev faster than your bike so you're not givin away anything from your 51 goin with the SPS. I've logged alot of miles on both machines and the SPS is much nicer in every way if you can afford to maintain them (Ducati's)as needed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok duc572.......what is your going from an Ohlins race shocked and C/F bodied, rearsets, clipons, PC'd Ti Piped, steerings dampnered, forged AL rimed... RC51 to an 02 998 ???

Am I going to think its better, or as good - but just different (and more expensive) than my RC (RIP)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't quite make out your question here....but if you described your bike then anything to lighted up the RC is a good thing. fantastic motor but waaaaaaay to heavy compared to the SPS or similar. both bikes have similar power but the RC revs slowly compared to the lightened crank-ti rods lower end of the SPS. An 998 will be very similar to what your used to motor wise but you will enjoy a sharper handling bike when it's set up correctly ( small window here). unless you want to see what's on the other side of the Jap bike market and you can find a good deal on a 998 then it may be a toss up. put the lightest wheels affordable on the 51 and whittle away the flywheel and heavy crank and it would be a nicer machine imo. I like them all anyway hard to go wrong with either...just $$$$$$$$$$

1 - 11 of 11 Posts