Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Greetings from the Philippines.

I am somewhat at a cross roads with my 2001 748R. I had just acquired a 2001 748R with low mileage from a mate of mine and on a ride something had happened that caused a stone to get into the manifolds and cause of sorts of havoc on the front cylinder head of my bike. Bent valves, damaged valve seats, damaged cylinder head, etc.

I'm I can source a complete 748r front cylinder head however its looking at something like close to 800USD...which i think is a bit much for a 748r head.

Im taking a look at going 853 now however would really need a lot of advice on people who have done the upgrade.

What parts are needed, estimated cost, can i use standard 748heads (which are cheaper) and just use the 748rcams in them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not going to be cheap either way....

To get the best out of a 853 kit you would need to do a hell of a lot of work to both cylinder heads, source new barrels and pistons, and then have it all installed. On the other hand you could simply source one new 748R head, some valves and use your original cams to get the bike back on the road. Not sure on exact costs but this might be the cheaper option compared to the 853 kit...
I have some 748R / RS parts for sell but unfortunately no heads. Let me know how you get on and if you need any further help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It does seem to be the case that it's a little too much cash and work to go 853 if all I need are valves, valves seats and all the guides, seals and gaskets.

A complete 748r head seems to be getting pretty difficult to source which is the option I would have preferred so I just pull the old one of and install the new one and off I go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.