Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ohlins rear shock with a dan kyle link and I am running a 190/50 tire. I need a new tire soon and I will be going with a 190/55. What changes if any do I need to make to the ohlins unit?

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
With a power one 180/55 I have two threads showing the 190/55 is even taller:twocents

My pilot power 180/55 had four showing and forks are 10 mm above the triples.

Too much rear heigth and the bike gets nervous.:twocents

·
Registered
825 Posts
It depends on a bunch of factors such as fork height in the triple clamps, preload adjustment, tyre pressures etc. I have full Ohlins and a Kyle link. I found with the forks in the standard position (second ring flush with top of triple clamp) and shock set at standard length (as it came from DK) it was about perfect for me with a 190/50.

When I went to a 190/55 I lowered the rear ride height at the shock by 1 mm. IIRC this is about the limit of adjustment.

I've had the bike in pieces now for months but I was liking it before I stripped it down. Just asking: did you have the shock sprung for your weight with the Kyle link?

JB

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i did have the ohlins shock sprung for my weight. I haven't touched any settings on the unit other than setting the sag at 25mm which ldk suggested I do. The front forks are stock and havent been touched. I will have them set up for my weight when I can afford it

·
Registered
735 Posts
You're overthinking it. Just go ride it. I have full Ohlins, Kyle link and a 190/55 and I LOVE how it handles compared to the 50, but your bike may be set up completely different than mine. Mount the 55, go ride it cautiously, and if it feels nervous, lower the rear a bit and go back out and try it again.

FWIW, for me the decision to go to a 55 wasn't because of the increased height, but because of the monstrous contact patch when leaned over.

·
Purveyor of immaturity
615 Posts
u know its wierd about this, i went from a stock shock and stock link running a 190/50, to a dk link and ohlins triple clicker running a 190/55 and it actually feels like the rear of my bike is lower than before

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
u know its wierd about this, i went from a stock shock and stock link running a 190/50, to a dk link and ohlins triple clicker running a 190/55 and it actually feels like the rear of my bike is lower than before
That's because the shock actually moves it will squat on exit and if your quick on the trigger there is a new set of ohlins forks for sale :woot:

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc51-general-discussion/62152-spoke-dan-kyle-yesterday-laguna-seca-re-ohlins-forks.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts