Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting the Michelin Power race in the medium compound tomorrow but don't know if I oght to go w/ a 180 or a 190. Educate me....thanks

P.S this is for track days .....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow..... no one has told you to seach [email protected]?!??

long story short. 180 = quicker turn

190 = slightly more leaned over traction.

This topic has been beaten to death....search for it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (nin73)

Did I stutter?? I've heard that the actual size of a 190 race tire is larger than a 190 street tire. Therefore it won't fit the RC51. I don't know if this is true or not? Anyway I'm getting the Michelin Power Race tire in the medium compound front and rear, and a 180 in back. I'm hoping they'll last for three track days, one at Pacific Raceways outside Seattle and two down at Thunderhill.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have always used the 180s, but i think for comparison reason i am going to the 190 for a couple track days. just to see which one i feel better on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Rotten Randy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rotten Randy »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did I stutter?? I've heard that the actual size of a 190 race tire is larger than a 190 street tire. Therefore it won't fit the RC51. I don't know if this is true or not? Anyway I'm getting the Michelin Power Race tire in the medium compound front and rear, and a 180 in back. I'm hoping they'll last for three track days, one at Pacific Raceways outside Seattle and two down at Thunderhill.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seems to me like you've answered your own q-q-q-quest-t-t-tion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i ran the H2s and M2 in a 190 rear for my bike a couple years ago. it will fit, maybe not if you have a hugger or something though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (KevinTX)

I had the 180s and this coming Monday am putting on the 190s to check them out. We will see!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (BEANS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BEANS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seems to me like you've answered your own q-q-q-quest-t-t-tion.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I was thinking the same thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (backlash)

Are you choosing between a 180/55 and a 190/50?

Depending on what brand you prefer, why not get a 190/55 – best of both worlds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It ended up being a 190/50 medium compound and a 120 soft compound. They ought to wear out at the same time. We'll see. Looking forward to getting it back on the track w/ these buns...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

tires can be an item of preference sometimes, R-R. i run a 190-55, giving me the rear ride height i like to help the bike turn in quicker. guys always say, "180...cheaper...") yeah, they are. by $10-$15. i buy 4-5 sets a year, and it can add up. other guys buy 10+, so i see their point. i'm just not at that level yet.

i also like having the extra width in the rear tire. with the 180's, i'm running over the edges. don't get me wrong, 180's worked for me as well, but i'm becoming concerned with a rear washout if i'm runing off the 180's tire edge....

are you running an adjustable shock or a shim on your stock one?

if not, you may want to consider it, just to help the turn in, especially with the 190-50 tire.
that's a wide-assed, flat puppy.........hurts turn in.

use the search button and you'll read for days about 180-190 tires, shocks, shims and PSI's for track tires. if not, expect to get flamed..... some things have just been talked to death around here. tires, gears and oil are just 3 of them....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (Rigor)

My bike is completely stock right now. I did end up getting a 15t sprocket and will put that on tonight. My shop also recommended the Kyle shock link. The 190/50 Power Race looks more like a 180 in its width and rounder than a typical 190/50. Thanks for your response.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I ran a 190/60 dunlop gpa and it fit ok even with 15/42 gearing. I think I could have even fit the 195/70 slick, if I dropped the rear sprocket to a 41. You should not have any fit problems with the 190 tire. The 190/60 I referred to is about 12mm taller than the 190/55 race tech I just put on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts