Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Might Pinch a little. Whats stock tire size? Generally you can go up one width but not more than that without it pinching.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 160 Tire on a 4.25" Rim? (Dave)

yeap fit perfect.. it might rub the chain sometimes but nothing serious..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: 160 Tire on a 4.25" Rim? (Giannis)

Which 160?

It may not be optimum, but most likely it will fit.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: 160 Tire on a 4.25" Rim? (ronwest99_NW)

Looking into the Maxxis supermoto tires.

Currently I have some normal street compound Diablos, with a 150 rear.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

You might ask Banda, but I'm pretty sure that he runs a 160 section maxxis rear, & has a 4.25" rim.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: 160 Tire on a 4.25" Rim? (Jacka$$)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jacka$$ »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might ask Banda, but I'm pretty sure that he runs a 160 section maxxis rear, & has a 4.25" rim.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where ya at Bill?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hmm, I stand, err... sit corrected...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I run 165s on a 4.25 inch rim.</TD></TR></TABLE>

From this thread.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: 160 Tire on a 4.25" Rim? (Jacka$$)

Dave a Maxxis 160 is the correct tire for a 4.25... although the 165 will work. I've used a 160 very successfully on a 5" rim also.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: 160 Tire on a 4.25" Rim? (chriscap)

Yeah, what he said^
I know it seems a little odd compared to street bike stuff.
Street
6" rim = 180 or 190
5.5" rim = 170 or 180
4.5" rim = 160 or 170
(Can you even get any good road racing tire in a 160 anymore?)

Supermoto
4.25" = 160
5" = 160 or 165

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where ya at Bill?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

In the Maxxis slick, I run a 160 on the 4.25" rim.
The rear intermediate used to only come in a 165, but I think that has changed.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: 160 Tire on a 4.25" Rim? (banda)

If you go to an AMA Supermoto round you'll see that it is now almost exclusively 5.0" rims with ungrooved Dunlop KR108 slicks, size 165/55/17 in either soft or medium depending on the track. I've heard that Dunlop will be coming out (probably for next season) with new Supermoto specific tires that will be made in America and priced drastically less than the current tires.

I run DOT tires (Dunlop 208gp front & 207gp rear) because I'm so slow that I don't need the extra grip of slicks. I tried them but didn't like how it takes a lap before they start to grip if you don't have tire warmers. My old bike had a 4.25" and I ran a 160... my new bike has a 5.0" and I put a 160 on it but the profile seems too flat. When you lean it all the way over to where the pegs start to drag then you go off the edge of the rear tire. I've scared the bejesus out of myself a couple times. I have a new 170 that I'm putting on tomorrow and going riding Wednesday, I can't wait to see if it makes a difference.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: 160 Tire on a 4.25" Rim? (MotoGreg)

Came across this thread with a search. I've found people on other sites saying that a 160 is really too big for a 4.25 rim.

Does it make a difference as to which tire you choose?

If I have a choice between a 150 or 160, which would you recommend I put on a 4.25" rear?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: 160 Tire on a 4.25" Rim? (slyde)

If you have a choice, use a 150.
If the choice is between a racing slick 160 and a street 150, go with the racing slick (assuming you're going to race on it)

If you've found a 150 racing slick, tell me where you're getting it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

A 160 on a 4.25 is too big. You're likely to never use all of the tire (unless you low side). Besides I told Darren Hicky to have 150s on hand at the DCTC.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: 160 Tire on a 4.25" Rim? (chriscap)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chriscap »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dave a Maxxis 160 is the correct tire for a 4.25... although the 165 will work. I've used a 160 very successfully on a 5" rim also.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eric Landstrom »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A 160 on a 4.25 is too big.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wonder why I'm confused.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: 160 Tire on a 4.25" Rim? (Eric Landstrom)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eric Landstrom »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A 160 on a 4.25 is too big. You're likely to never use all of the tire (unless you low side). Besides I told Darren Hicky to have 150s on hand at the DCTC.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't know if that is your speculation or testing results but a 160 is optimum for a 4.25" rim according to my experiences. I've used Avon, Pirelli, and Maxxis, all 160 DOT tires, on a 4.25 rim and they were perfect, wears right to the edge and the tire keeps the profile it was designed to have. A 5.0" is much harder to find DOT tires for, I'm using a 207gp in a 170 on my 5.0" but it required swingarm modification to fit. The 160 was absolute crap on the 5.0" rim, it stretched the tire out which flattened the profile and caused heavy/slow steering. When you got close to the point of the pegs dragging you ran out of tire and lost the rear. The correct size tire for your rim width is very important.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I have a 150 Pirelli on my 4.25" rear at the moment. But based on this thread (from last year!) I purchased a set of Maxxis tires with a 160 rear. It doesn't look like it's going to be possible for me to switch out my tires between now and the track day on Sunday.

I'll likely be switching before the track day at Stockholm.

I'm no expert, but I'll post my feelings on the matter as soon as I have some experience on both.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

MotoGreg for some reason i had a hard time trying to find a tire rim size guide but find one I did: http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/WheelTab.htm

Anyway, yes, I've spent way too much time running the wrong sized tires with my SRX600 but not on supermoto as SMs are new to me. Notwithstanding a rim of a given size can take a number of different tire sizes.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

So let me throw another question into the mix here. If I had a choice between a 4.25" rim versus a 5.0" rim, which would be the better choice, and why? Do tire choices make the decision for me, or do I go with the rim size and figure out the tires later?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts