Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so on one of my other message boards someone posted up some alternatives to the go pro's and other hd sports video cameras. typically they cost $10 bucks, but i got mine for $13. long story short here is a short run around my block with a home made mount. the video quality is actually much better, but it starts off as a very large file that has to be compressed so some of the quality is off.

just a side comment... the sound of the rc is the main reason i bought this over an inline 4 1000cc bike... love the freaking music this exhaust plays.

·
1,061 Posts
I agree. I love the sound of the engine on RC51s. The reaction people make when you rev it is also worth it as well.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Which one did you pick up? I picked up one called an MD-80 a while back. All of like $10 or $12.

Here are some crappy videos from it. The mount wasn't stable at all, that's why it's so shaky in the first one. I never got around to getting it mounted firmly.

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its one of the ebay 808 spy cameras. looks like a key fob and records hd video. i need to make a better mount so its more stable too, but im suprised at how good the video actually is. im going to stay on the bike since i use it on the track only and i dont have to worry if i crash and bust it up since it was only 13 bucks.. my little bro has an hd sports cam with all the different mounts and the video quality is great (its not the gopro but i forget which one) but id hate to get one of those and bust it up on the track. these are great little options. with these 808 spy cameras you need to get either version #3 or #6 as they have the best audio and video with #3 being a little better than the #6. i have the #6.

·
Banned
472 Posts
Where are the links to these cameras so we can purchase them?

Yeah, GoPro is nice - but the prices they charge I know are inflated.

I just bought a 1080p Webcam (MSFT LifeCam Studio).
Microsoft Showcase: Microsoft LifeCam Studio

It does such and amazing job of capturing video that I'm trying to think of a way to wire it and use it a vehicle cam.

·
Workaholic
224 Posts
Those are really good deals. I like how compact they are.

One of the things that sets the GoPro apart from others though is the aperture. The lens is also glass and specific replacement parts are available. Though for the price of the ebay one, you can afford to keep a few handy.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Yeah, they are great for the price. I'll probably pick up a handful for next season at the track, even though I have a contour hd 1080. It will be nice to get some shots from places I wouldn't want to put a more expensive camera like down low on the side panels.

The funny part is that most of the memory cards will cost you more than the camera! Speaking of memory cards, I have heard that it is best to run these little cameras on the faster class 6 cards. Most of the stuff you see for sale at walmart or target or whatever are only class 4 or 2. You can find the class 6 cards on amazon for about the same as what you would pay in the store for the slower ones anyways. I guess with the faster cards the video quality can be much better. The only cards I have are class 6 so I can't share any first hand knowledge.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I know a guy who picked up two or three of those MD-80's for this GSXR 600 track bike. The quality is pretty good, but as mentioned, they record everything in AVI so the file size is absolutely huge unless compressed into an MPEG format.

I noticed some comments in here about building mounts. I'll throw in my :twocents in case someone does a search on "camera mount" some day. I plan on tracking my RC next April for the very first time and I wanted to record a video of it with my Sony WSC-100 digital camera. Obviously, it's a lot bigger than an MD-80 or similar, but here's a picture of the cheap mount I made for less than $10 with stuff from the local hardware store. The idea isn't mine-- I found another person on the 'Net who made a similar one but they used PVC cement to glue stuff together and I found threaded PVC that was just as cheap and 10x faster to put together.

Someone could probably come up with an idea to change the threaded bolt to a different mount type for the MD-80 or something.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts