Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sub-average Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I know Varium had a RC51 with '06/'07 forks on it, but can anyone tell me if the '08+ model Ohlins forks will fit the SP2?

I tried using the search function, but couldn't find anything.

Thank you all for your help!

·
Sub-average Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind guys. After talking to a few pros, I realize that it's a stupid and dangerous idea.

If it really worked, someone woulda done it by now, right? :eek:

Thanks!

·
I'm an Alcoholic... YAY!!
1,437 Posts
call over to dan kyle's shop.... they can tell you for sure... the only difference would be the legnth of the tubes....

·
Sub-average Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
call over to dan kyle's shop.... they can tell you for sure... the only difference would be the legnth of the tubes....
That's where I called and I spoke to LDH. He set me straight...

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Out of curiosity, why is it dangerous? As long as the forks are physically long enough, have the correct travel, and are sprung correctly I see no issue. (other than fitting a front wheel, which can be overcome)

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
Out of curiosity, why is it dangerous? As long as the forks are physically long enough, have the correct travel, and are sprung correctly I see no issue. (other than fitting a front wheel, which can be overcome)

same thought i was having considering i have RC51 ohlins on my RC30:woot:

·
Sub-average Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's dangerous just because the CBR forks are not physically long enough. Off by about 40mm I think. From what I could gather, you can spring it and valve it all you want, but the front of the bike will just be more dive-prone because it'll be too low. It can't be properly balanced, and much more so when "everyone" raises the rear, adds race shocks, uses suspension links, etc.

I'm probably using all the wrong terminology, but maybe you get what I'm saying. :(

It seems RC51 forks are pretty much as long as they get in the "modern" SS world, so I could see why they'd work in other bikes (just raise the forks for the amount you don't "need"), but you can't go the other way.

Again, I'm a newb with regards to suspension, so take it with a grain of salt.:eek:

·
Ride Naked!
503 Posts
It's dangerous just because the CBR forks are not physically long enough. Off by about 40mm I think. From what I could gather, you can spring it and valve it all you want, but the front of the bike will just be more dive-prone because it'll be too low. It can't be properly balanced, and much more so when "everyone" raises the rear, adds race shocks, uses suspension links, etc.

I'm probably using all the wrong terminology, but maybe you get what I'm saying. :(

It seems RC51 forks are pretty much as long as they get in the "modern" SS world, so I could see why they'd work in other bikes (just raise the forks for the amount you don't "need"), but you can't go the other way.

Again, I'm a newb with regards to suspension, so take it with a grain of salt.:eek:
Makes sense to me.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
That makes sense, so the '06 - '07s must be a little longer than the '08+. If you had triples that step down like the cbr's then maybe it's more feasible.

·
Sub-average Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That makes sense, so the '06 - '07s must be a little longer than the '08+.
That's quite possible, but LDH was saying that he would never do that either because they're still too short.

Not knocking Varium or others that have done it. There's probably a "correct" way to make the '06-'07 forks work that is safe and balance-able if Varium did it. Perhaps using CBR triples, as you stated?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts