Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: '05 KTM 625SMC vs. '06 Husky SM610S (K-T-M)

I just got a 625 two weeks ago and am totally smitten. I already have around 500 miles on it. It is one fun bike, but I'm sure that is the case with any SM. Its a hard choice b/w those two bikes. If the 610 was out, I'm not sure which one I would have gotten. Probably still would have gone with the KTM b/c the closest husky dealer is around 2 hours away. All of the components (brakes, lines, etc) seem to be about the same as far as quality. IE both have brembo stuff and steel lines where as with the drz you need to spend money to get to that level. I like the stock exhaust of the KTM much better, especially the dual pipes. Anyone have have an idea of the weight of the husky? The KTM is a little heavy as far as SMs go, at around 325 lbs w/o fuel, but coming off of superbikes it feels superlight. KTM is 5 gears, I'm guessing the husky is 6?

I'm sure you will love which ever one of the two you get. Both are awesome machines!

Modified by jager at 8:54 PM 6/21/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I'd say the 610 looks faster than the katoom just sitting still.

When is Dave's 610 coming in?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: '05 KTM 625SMC vs. '06 Husky SM610S (Eric Landstrom)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eric Landstrom »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

When is Dave's 610 coming in? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nobody knows.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: '05 KTM 625SMC vs. '06 Husky SM610S (Dave)

Dave,
Which color did you go with or are you getting whichever comes in first?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: '05 KTM 625SMC vs. '06 Husky SM610S (jager)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jager »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dave,
Which color did you go with or are you getting whichever comes in first?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whatever shows up.

Rumor is that the Yellow/Blue is limited and will be here first.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Well, it looks like most of the KTMs are sold, and the Husky won't be here for a couple years (sarcasm).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

K-T-M, not sure where you live but the place I got my 625, triangle cycles, still has one listed in their inventory for the danville, va store. They don't really work with you that much with the price.

Anyone have the specs on the 610? Is that a 4 pad brembo caliper up front? Also looks like a semi or full floating brembo disc. That is about the only area I'm a little disappointed with on the SMC is the front brake. Of course both of my other street bikes have/had dual brembos up front and had awesome stopping power. The front brake setup will probably be the first big bucks I spend.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The latest I've heard was a August delivery on the 610.

It wouldn't be a big deal, except I was told to expect it in May.

Front brake on the 610 is probably the same caliper as the KTM, on a floating 320mm disc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

KTM caliper is a 4 piston (2 pad) Brembo Goldline
The one on the husky 610 in the pic looks more like the 4 pad Brembo caliper . The 450 comes with the 4 pad also and I would imagine the 510 does also. Not really much difference in price between the two. I haven't used a 4 pad caliper yet, but I heard they provide better stopping power and feel. Pretty hardcore, hopefully husky will get them here soon, I'm looking foward to pics and a review when you get it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jager »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone have the specs on the 610? Is that a 4 pad brembo caliper up front? Also looks like a semi or full floating brembo disc. That is about the only area I'm a little disappointed with on the SMC is the front brake. Of course both of my other street bikes have/had dual brembos up front and had awesome stopping power. The front brake setup will probably be the first big bucks I spend. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think the 610 Brembo caliper is the same as what is on my 510. If so, it's a four pad, four piston Brembo. But honestly, out of the box the front brake could have better feel. Dave, you'll want to toss some HH pads in it (I'm using Brembo's HH pads) and if you take it out to the track a lot, you may want to track down a 16x18 Brembo master cylinder for better one finger brake feel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eric Landstrom »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

.... and if you take it out to the track a lot, you may want to track down a 16x18 Brembo master cylinder for better one finger brake feel. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just picked up one of those from dvo1 about an hour ago!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Figures. I wanted to buy it from Dan but he never had a price for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eric Landstrom »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Figures. I wanted to buy it from Dan but he never had a price for me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't ya hate when that happens.

I'll let you know if it doesn't work out for me.

Sorry dude.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

There is always Ebay. Besides, I'm thinking engine mods right now. I rode the Husky 450 and the thing spools up a lot faster than my 510 (less power though) and left me with feelings of inadequacy. So now I am looking for a good deal on a TC intake cam or thinking about going off the deep end with one of Uptite's billet cams which features longer duration and higher lift along with larger valves, stiffer ti valve springs and a higher compression piston.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts