Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as my bike sits here waiting on a new owner i can't help but try and fix up little things. This little thing is the gauge cluster casings. The upper on my 03 has this weird bubbling, or warped, look to it along the top arch. Don't know why or how it got there but its there. Also, on the bottom of the casing i have a broken tab.:banghead So now i'm looking to replace the upper and lower. And here's where it gets tricky.

I go to find the pieces and low and behold the upper is the only thing that is offered for the 03 cluster. For some reason the micro-fiche says the lower and the actual speedo assembly/board are ONLY sold togther. So, i can buy an upper for the 03 cluster for 53 bucks, but i have to pay 360 bucks just to get the lower.:rolleyes: Getting utterly frustrated i happen to just look under the 05 micro-fiche because for some reason eveything on the newer bikes is cheaper. So anyway i find that for 05 they have all the pieces labeled for individual sale. Except now the upper cover comes in 3 pieces, although it looks to be the same form and function of the earlier clusters.

So here is my technical question. Is the 05 lower speedo casing the same as the 03 lower? I'm looking to buy the 03 upper and use the 05 lower. For all intents and purposes they appear to be able to be used like this, but i don't know for sure. I guess the only way to be sure is to have someone check in that has actually done this, or get someone with an 05 cluster to snap some closeup detailed pics of the lower.
Anyone care to help out?

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
In 2004 Honda changed the constrction of the display as all previous years where prone to warpage due to the way the sunbeing magnified by the windscreen.

So 2004 and your bike the 2005 have a metal component that mounts over the plastic display.

The 2003 does not have that component and warps upon use,

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sp2pilot said:
In 2004 Honda changed the constrction of the display as all previous years where prone to warpage due to the way the sunbeing magnified by the windscreen.

So 2004 and your bike the 2005 have a metal component that mounts over the plastic display.

The 2003 does not have that component and warps upon use,

Very interesting tid bit. Thanks for your help in my threads thus far. Even though they changed the upper part of the cluster do you know if they left the lower the same? Also, if they knew this was an issue and changed the design because of it, is there a recall on this piece?

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
Well there was never a re-call however Honda dealers replaced the units on sp2s for the first year with no questions asked, however they would only do it one time. (some people actually got a couple but policy was one per bike)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts