Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with experience, I would like some opinions on the bike. Short of my first/amateur season of racing a '99 Gixxer750 in 2002, I have been racing 600's in both Sprints and Endurance. Since making the decision to sell my 636, I have been kicking around the idea of picking up a liter bike. A Kawi ZX-10R was my first choice, but I have the opportunity to pick up a super-nice, hardly used track/race ready '04 R1 for a sweet price. It has everything.

I only plan on running track days with it for the most part, and maybe the occassional Sprint race here or there. Who has experience with this sled?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: '04 Yamaha R1... opinions on the bike... (Tripod-R)

Tripod-R, I’ll tell you what I know. Over here in the UK a guy by the name of Les Shand rode a (near standard) R1 in the Superstock championship and finished fifth in the series…..Oh, with a lap record at Brands. I know Naill Mackenzie and a couple of other top riders had a go on Les’s bike and they thought it was the business.

I do know the bike was set up by multi TT winner and double British champion Jim Moodie. I could try and get some info on the set up. Incidentally, Jim’s road bike is a 04 R1.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I own an 04 R1 and i must say..I am so impressed with the bike...the power it makes in the high RPM is incredible and predictable, If i was more experienced on the track I would take it out, but I am being responsible and going with a Less HP and Heavier bike...but the R1 will becoem the track beatch sooner or later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: '04 Yamaha R1... opinions on the bike... (nunyabidness)

Well, I have the '05, but it's really the same as the '04. While I was planning on taking it this weekend to track and possibly race, I'm choosing not to, due to the heat, and work, and my dad needs help.

Now, I can say, that the bike has just outrageous power from 9-13k, and the brakes are raceable, though I'd do the following:

steelbraided lines
chain & sprockets
rear sets (Graves is fine, there are some fancy German and Euro pieces as well)
obviously f/g bodywork
for me: GMD front end work
you'd have to see if the rear shock works for you; I believe it's fine
I'd definitely get a foam seat pad

A full Termi or Akro or Graves exhaust makes the bike track only, is decently priced, and adds good midrange HP.

Check out Graves for more stuff.

Last year, the bike finished nicely in a few races, in stock form, with J. Toye. I've decided to keep the Ducati 996 as a racebike, and use the R1 between street and track riding, but honestly, it should be the other way around, because the R1's powerband is so not for the street, unless you putt around representin'. It's a great steering bike, great looking, powerful, and I think you'd probably enjoy the hell out of it. I believe I still have the most recent track test from RRW which rates the GSXR1000 vs. the R1; last year the R1 pwn'd. This year, those tossers at RRW gave the Suzuki the edge by a hair -- you get RRW, don't ya?

I'm really looking forward to putting this bike on the track.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: '04 Yamaha R1... opinions on the bike... (996miami)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 996miami »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I have the '05, but it's really the same as the '04. While I was planning on taking it this weekend to track and possibly race, I'm choosing not to, due to the heat, and work, and my dad needs help.

Now, I can say, that the bike has just outrageous power from 9-13k, and the brakes are raceable, though I'd do the following:

steelbraided lines
chain & sprockets
rear sets (Graves is fine, there are some fancy German and Euro pieces as well)
obviously f/g bodywork
for me: GMD front end work
you'd have to see if the rear shock works for you; I believe it's fine
I'd definitely get a foam seat pad

A full Termi or Akro or Graves exhaust makes the bike track only, is decently priced, and adds good midrange HP.

Check out Graves for more stuff.

Last year, the bike finished nicely in a few races, in stock form, with J. Toye. I've decided to keep the Ducati 996 as a racebike, and use the R1 between street and track riding, but honestly, it should be the other way around, because the R1's powerband is so not for the street, unless you putt around representin'. It's a great steering bike, great looking, powerful, and I think you'd probably enjoy the hell out of it. I believe I still have the most recent track test from RRW which rates the GSXR1000 vs. the R1; last year the R1 pwn'd. This year, those tossers at RRW gave the Suzuki the edge by a hair -- you get RRW, don't ya?

I'm really looking forward to putting this bike on the track.</TD></TR></TABLE>Your the one who bought Toyes Superbike? Man iwould love to see that...I live up the road in Stuart...maybe we can hook up a run sometime, my pops lives in Hollywood..so can finangle the excuse to go visit him. Im on the R1 forum as well...same name.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks guys. Harvey... if I end up getting the bike, I just might have to PM ya!

I figured as much and have heard nice things about it, etc. It's kind of hard for me to not pick up the latest 636 because my '03 model has been such a good bike and I really dig Team Green... but the R1 deal is hard to pass up... IF the deal goes through.

(knocking on wood/formica)

Anyway, the bike has the following:

- Full race/Ti Akrapovic exhaust
- PCIII
- Traxxion Cartridge forks
- Ohlins rear shock
- Ohlins steering damper
- Adjustable Graves rear sets and clip-ons
- Chain conversion
- Zero Gravity Double-Bubble windscreen
- Don't know what bodywork, but it's painted identically to match the Graves R1

Wish me luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

i have an 04 with,elka shock,revalved forks,rearsets,hotbodies,damper,brake lines,yosh slip ons and 520 conversion, retired from racing i use the bike for trackdays only and it's a screamer,like miami said it's realy a racebike mostly because of it's powerband,the chassis is real good,enjoy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you get the R1, consider having a tuner change up the cam timing a bit for a broader power range cause it really comes on like a 2 stroke at 9k.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (manic)

Hmm... this whole "no bottem end" theme we've got going here kind of bums me out. I mean, why get a liter bike that you kinda/sorta have to ride like a middleweight??

Granted, any literbike is gonna have a lot more mid-range than a 600... and I'm used to a middleweight... but still.

Hmm...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (Tripod-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tripod-R »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm... this whole "no bottem end" theme we've got going here kind of bums me out. I mean, why get a liter bike that you kinda/sorta have to ride like a middleweight??

Granted, any literbike is gonna have a lot more mid-range than a 600... and I'm used to a middleweight... but still.

Hmm...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

With the exception of TWS, I'll bet you would be as fast on any other track you race on a new 636. The R1 pulls H A R D, but that is about it. For most mortals, we will do better on a bike that is not trying to kill us every time the tach hits 10grand!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nunyabidness »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your the one who bought Toyes Superbike? ...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Oh, sorry, no. I wish! I'm just saying the R1 in stock form, etc. Though mine's currently stock

Look, the bike really rewards those of us who are power whores. The low end stuff, well, really now, anyone who goes below 7k at a track on this bike needs to be beaten for 38 minutes with a stick.

Anyhow, the way the bike's equipped Tripod, you won't have midrange loss.

Enjoy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The exup valve is what causes the mid-range hole on '04 and newer R1's, it doesn''t open up fully until approximatly 7000 RPM. It was designed that way because the EPA sound tests bikes at roughly half of their maximum RPM.

A full aftermarket exhaust system will help fill that hole.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts