Gearing chain length question. - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
And Stateside again...

Gearing chain length question.

I could post this on the r1 forum but i'd rather ask here.

So i'm looking at changing set ups to a 520 on my 09 R1. mainly for weight loss reasons. It's a street track day toy and will see a few longer trips this summer. I'm planning a 520 steel sprocket set up with a better chain.

Here's my question.

Stock gearing I am a 17/47. I feel this is way too many teeth when i Can get less teeth on both and get close to the same ratio.

17/47 puts me at 2.764 Final drive
16/44 puts me at 2.75 final drive
15/41 puts me at 2.73 final drive
14/38 puts me at 2.71 final drive

14/39 puts me at 2.78 final drive. This would give me slightly more acceleration without killing my cruise RPM and should knock considerable weight off the drive line. especially with the switch to 520 from 530.

Does my logic sound solid or am I going about my math all wrong?

Assuming I go 14/39(current plan) i will probably pick up a 41/42 rear also to make sure I go a little lower gearing for track days. (I have 2 cush drives.)
Thoughts? Am i doing my math right? I like the Idea of having a tiny rear sprocket that shows off all of my rear wheel. I may even run a 38 rear for long highway trips to try and get my economy a little better cruising at 80.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
And Stateside again...

Also AKDMA. I'm assuming I should still maintain a 120 length chain? or should I shorten it and put my adjuster mid way in the swing arm so I have room for the larger rear sprocket?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:27 PM

Lee-

I would think that once you choose your desired sprockets/ratio, that will determine pretty closely where you end up on chain length.
I chain link makes a big difference in adjusting length.
Also keeping chain stretch into consideration the first 500-1000 miles.
Just my .02 buddy.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
And Stateside again...

That's kind of my plan. should probably go a little in front of the Halfway point when new so that I can first adjust back to the halfway point.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:37 PM

Garage
I would suggest using the largest sprocket and fitting at as far inward as you can. I think we end up around 118 links usually, but I don't quite remember honestly. My geometry and swingarm angle will be very different from yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
And Stateside again...

Since i'm going slightly lower than stock with the 14/39 set up I doubt i will go much larger than a 40 on the rear. Not like I need more low end grunt and I have a tendency to ride this like my 750 and stay up in the RPM's and carry more speed. SO I may go as far forward as I can and hope that a 40 will be able to squeeze in there after stretch if not.. I guess my street and track gearing are staying the same.

AKDMA. Why can't you post on The R1 forum anymore? Feel free to PM me.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:43 PM

Garage
No worries, a moderator made a nasty comment to me and I sent him a PM I shouldn't have. Didn't realize he was a moderator at the time, but I got banned maybe a year and a half ago. I barely have time to post here anymore so I don't really mind. I still browse there sometimes.

and much more
along with
Aprilia SXV 550
KX450F

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
And Stateside again...

Gotcha. Kinda stupid if you ask me. The Mods over there can be dinks. I got warned twice for posting in the want to buy area before my 60 days.

All because I was trying to get rid of spare parts. Then watching them delete posts because they didn't like it just get old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode