Stupid fun on a budget. - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Luck Runs Out...
Stupid fun on a budget.

Bone stock '03 YZ85 + 17" Excel hoops laced to the stock hubs with RAD Mfg. HD spokes, shoed with Dunlop KR106's sized 120/70 in the front and 125/80 in the rear and a +1 front sprocket = stupid, stupid, stupid fun.

'00 RC51
'05 ST1300 streetfighter
'03 YZ85 supermoto
'90 VTR250
'71 T500R

Distant thunder, cold as stone. An RC bellows from its throne. One by one, each bike succumbs. Something wicked this way comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Baldy
Young butts can take the pain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 PM
And Stateside again...

What did the set-up actually cost you?

and why 17's and not go 12's?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

$1100ish for the bike, about $450 for the hoop and spokes, laced and trued myself, $65 for both AMA take offs and mounting and tubes were free. It already had hand guards, catch bottle, CF heel and skid plates. I've got a RAD Mfg. front hub that will be used in conjunction with a 320mm Brembo rotor and 4 pot Brembo caliper as soon as I get around to lacing the hub up so the machine shop can build the brackets. Overkill? Nahhh.

Operating costs are almost non- existent. A gallon of 100 and 4 oz. of Klotz will last me an entire open track day or two race days, and that's a pocket- punishing $12 or so. Tires will probably age before they wear out, and I'm keeping tabs on how long the top end lasts under road use, but when it goes, it's about $60 for the whole deal with a piston, and can be done between heats. The bike is crash proof; I've been down 10- 12 times on it, and nothing has broken on me or on the bike.

17's were done instead of 12's for a few reasons. Higher top speed, more (and better) tire choices, bigger contact patch, more stability, being able to run a proper size rotor, more ground clearance. The class I run in doesn't care about wheel size (they even allow knobbies on the minis), and at 156 lbs. with a full tank, the bike is already telepathic in its handling, so the extra twitchyness of the 12's is not needed at all.

'00 RC51
'05 ST1300 streetfighter
'03 YZ85 supermoto
'90 VTR250
'71 T500R

Distant thunder, cold as stone. An RC bellows from its throne. One by one, each bike succumbs. Something wicked this way comes.

Quote:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 05:24 AM
And Stateside again...

And that is exactly what I wanted to know...

may need to rethink my project plans.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

If your club dictates 12's, then that's what you gotta do. There's some decent scooter rubber out there for the 12's, but if you can run 17's, throw some NTecs on it and go piss off the guys on the 450's on a tight track. Also, with the 12's, you'll run out of gearing waaaaaay before you run out of power. I'm +1 in the front and the 125/80 is about 5" taller than the OEM dirt tire, and I can still top out 6th at 80- 85 MPH. With taller gearing, the pipe lasts longer and doesn't hit so hard if you fall off it, and it's easier to do maintenance throttle with the taller gearing and tire because it's nowhere near as snappy.

What are your project plans?

'00 RC51
'05 ST1300 streetfighter
'03 YZ85 supermoto
'90 VTR250
'71 T500R

Quote:
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 01:08 PM
V4 Whore

Where can you find information on tracks/rules for a given area on this racing? I'd love to do some track days or even get into racing but the cost of finding a dedicated motorcycle and the funds to race just aren't in my 3 kid household budget.

If this is as cheap as I think it is (significantly cheaper than regular track days) then it could be fees able assuming I wouldn't have to drive all the way to VIR. I'm stuck in north east NC and there isn't much around that I am aware of but I don't know where to look either.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorJack View Post
Where can you find information on tracks/rules for a given area on this racing? I'd love to do some track days or even get into racing but the cost of finding a dedicated motorcycle and the funds to race just aren't in my 3 kid household budget.

If this is as cheap as I think it is (significantly cheaper than regular track days) then it could be fees able assuming I wouldn't have to drive all the way to VIR. I'm stuck in north east NC and there isn't much around that I am aware of but I don't know where to look either.
www.supermotojunkie.com Beyond that, I don't live there, so I have no idea.

'00 RC51
'05 ST1300 streetfighter
'03 YZ85 supermoto
'90 VTR250
'71 T500R

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode