Fiscal Conservatism - Page 2 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero View Post
Just don't smile so's we don't have to gaze upon those teeth (or whatever you call those)
Sorry that's hard to do when I find the internets own security farce (apparently my heroine ) so hilariously funny.
Although I do live in terror of a late night incursion via my internet connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 998sFE View Post
Turd, I really can't disagree with you in regards to the spending issues under Republican presidents, it is why I have trouble identifying myself as a Republican. I have argued with many friends that George Dubya Bush will go down as one of the worst presidents in history for many reasons but Obama will be right there next to him on the list. I mainly took exception with your first chart depicting Obama as a frugal president, the guy is going to amass more debt then all other presidents combined. So if you want to compare him to Dubya, one of our worst presidents and say Obama is better you can do that but you're setting your standards very low IMO. Reagan doesn't go without fault for the debt incurred under his presidency but you have to consider he was dealing with a Democratic congress and he needed to get budgets passed with tremendous but necessary for the time defense spending. One metric you must consider because I feel it is more important then % change in spending is debt as a % of GDP and under Reagan I believe in was never more then 70% and now we are over 100%.
Is Obama responsible for a $5 trillion increase in the debt? - The Washington Post

Look at the graph. The divergence between revenue and expense coincides with the super recession. Expenses went up mostly because so many people suddenly were out of work - they went on unemployment, etc. Obama can't suddenly say we're just not going to pay anyone unemployment, as if he has the political power to do that, not to the mention the coldhearted gall. So he's barely to blame for the rise in expenses. Then look at revenue. That is the greater cause of the rising debt. Again, the super recession caused that - and neither Obama nor Bush caused that. The way government can correct a failing economy is to do two things: They've lowered interest rates as low as possible and they passed stimulus spending. They've done other things too but those are the main ones.

The ballooning debt is a widespread issue that is not, nor has been, centered in the White House - except for past issues revolving around deregulated financials and, to a small degree, loans to poor people.

And we should never forget the bond rating agencies. In case anyone isn't aware, Moody's and S&P were paying their employees a commission on the number of ratings they wrote for their mortgage-backed securities clientele (something they didn't do until recently before the bubble). So they were incentivised to give good ratings to securities that didn't deserve them. That is one of the main ingredients to the bubble. Without that corrupt system it is likely the bubble would have been much smaller, maybe even nonexistent. It's funny how many times the White House, or the CRA, or Barney Frank, etc., etc., is blamed while the rating agencies aren't even mentioned. When you hear that line of bull you know you're talking to someone who doesn't understand the bubble.
Speaking of bubbles...where's nero, fiddling his dicksy?

Last edited by Gnhtsg; 04-20-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode