Denny's, etc. - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Denny's, etc.

John Metz Denny's Obamacare Surcharge Stirs Big Mess For Restaurant Chain

Denny's chief executive John Miller privately reached out to Metz to express his "disappointment" with the Florida franchisee's controversial statements about Obamacare, which sparked a wave of backlash for the national restaurant chain over the past few days. Metz released a statement Monday night expressing "regret" over his statements.

In case you didn't read it or haven't heard about it, some businesses are protesting the ACA (Affordable Care Act) (Obamacare) (Romneycare) (Obamneycare) by laying off workers, reducing their hours to under 30, etc. Frankly, I don't know the REAL numbers on costs and I'm sure no one else does at this point (hell, the thing hasn't even been brought on line yet!) but I've got two things to say:
One, this is probably purely political grandstanding on the part of butthurt conservatives.
Two, you asked for it. If there wasn't so much idiotic opposition to single-payer government-run health care we never would have gotten the ACA. So you friggin' asked for it, you morons!

As I've pointed out before, our current health care is rated number 6 (or was it 7?) in the world in terms of quality of care. Yet our care costs almost twice per capita what it does in the countries that have higher ratings than us, and all of them are single payer! And some want our profit-centric madness to continue? Really? Isn't that a definition of stupidity? How much is this stupidity costing us? Doh, twice what it does in the smart countries.
Let me remind you of my situation: I went to my doctor last year. He said he was no longer going to honor my Blue Shield because they were continually reducing payments to doctors while at the same time jacking up executive salaries to outrageous levels. Welcome to the American health care system, welcome to the new American business model - where exective compensation is all that really matters.
Time for a drastic change that is proven to work when it's done right. And don't upchuck some BS about long waits in Canada. Those waits are for elective surgery and if you don't want to wait you can pay not to.
Grow the heck up.

Edit:
Came back to mention that there are other variables that add to cost. One is administrative costs. In the U.S., that accounts for well over 20% of the cost. I'm not sure who's to blame for that. Conservatives of course blame it on the government. I can't disagree with that - I've never looked into it.
Another problem is liability insurance costs. Tort reform may be necessary.
I've heard that the two most expensive aspects of our system are, one, end of life treatment: Something like 90% of a person's total lifelong health costs come in the final several months of life (hospital care) (there is solid benefit to death panels or whatever you want to call them - Sarah Palin is stupid, in case you hadn't figured that out). Two, unnecessary use of emergency rooms for routine care - incredibly wasteful. But until we have a new system of neighborhood clinics for poor people we will continue to screw ourselves on that one.
So obviously, it's not just one thing that bleeds us dry. The whole system is screwed.
It's a mess, and band aids aren't meant to clean up a mess.

Last edited by Gnhtsg; 11-21-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode