Presidential Terms - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Presidential Terms

This is the only thing I have to say about the election (for now):
We should ditch the four-year term with possiblility of re-election and switch to ONE SIX-YEAR TERM.

Why?

Look at all the time our president's have to spend campaigning and fundraising in today's media/money circus. It takes a new administration around six months to get up to speed. It takes another six months to run for re-election. That totals one year that is compromised. Only three years are running at full steam. If a president had one six-year term he (or she) would have a full five and a half years to WORK without the influence of winning re-election. And then they'd be gone for sure. The other party would have a fresh chance at winning. As it is now, the incumbent wins almost every time anyway. So what's the point? The only ones that benefit are the ones who collect campaign expenditures (2 billion in this election). The country suffers. I see it as an increasing weakness in our system. You know it will get worse and worse as media grows. Plus, Citizens United amplifies the circus greatly. What a damn joke this election fiasco has become.

Another thing:
Why the hell do people have to wait in line longer than one hour to vote? I wouldn't do it. I don't. I vote by mail. Some people are waiting 8 hours or longer! REALLY! Personally, I'd like to see election day be a vacation day. Get rid of one of the other holliday's and replace it with Democracy Day. Democracy is the bedrock of America. Why don't we give it full recognition as such?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 05:16 PM
chimp on my shoulder

Send a message via Yahoo to johnyisthedevil
I agree. I think it needs to be a three step process though.

1st) abolish the Electoral College.
it is an antiquated system that is no longer needed and promotes corruption and conflict. one vote should be one vote. that is the only way to get rid of the seriously flawed two party system and open the door for a candidate that may not be the "lesser of two evils" I think this would also help to fight against "special interest presidents" as it will encourage a more broad spectrum of candidates, rather than candidates pushed forth by members of a party that have been pandered to and paid to nominate an individual to represent their collective party agenda.

2nd) limit the term to one with no chance of a second. I agree with the six year term, because eight is just to long to live with a crook or a moron, but is enough time to get shit done. as it is now a president spends their first term campaigning for the second and then goes balls out with their special interest agenda. ( I may even be in favor of terms with an overlap where the incumbent president has to work side by side with the president elect for one year, but I have to give that one some more thought)

3rd) limit the terms of the Congress and Senate. two year terms and a maximum of four terms. we need to take back the power from the politicians and put it back into the hands of the people where it belongs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
06 rc51 banzai/Simons, pcIII,ohlins... the usual
94 vfr 750 cafe project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyisthedevil View Post
I agree. I think it needs to be a three step process though.

1st) abolish the Electoral College.
it is an antiquated system that is no longer needed and promotes corruption and conflict. one vote should be one vote. that is the only way to get rid of the seriously flawed two party system and open the door for a candidate that may not be the "lesser of two evils" I think this would also help to fight against "special interest presidents" as it will encourage a more broad spectrum of candidates, rather than candidates pushed forth by members of a party that have been pandered to and paid to nominate an individual to represent their collective party agenda.

2nd) limit the term to one with no chance of a second. I agree with the six year term, because eight is just to long to live with a crook or a moron, but is enough time to get shit done. as it is now a president spends their first term campaigning for the second and then goes balls out with their special interest agenda. ( I may even be in favor of terms with an overlap where the incumbent president has to work side by side with the president elect for one year, but I have to give that one some more thought)

3rd) limit the terms of the Congress and Senate. two year terms and a maximum of four terms. we need to take back the power from the politicians and put it back into the hands of the people where it belongs.
I agree with both of you 100%.
Plus, we need to change some of the rules on how these people can get away with insider trading information that would put most of us in jail, al la Martha Stewart.

Chris

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Panigaliscious

Electoral college could be broken up so that each block gets 10 votes or so (ie California would actually be four districts with 10 each or similar). Eliminating it is not the way to go, think the pandering is bad now, just wait until someone only has to get a majority in the whole country.

Two terms is tradition and shouldn't change, there are valid reasons to do it this way. The extended campaign season is a problem, which could be solved is campaigning only took place over a predetermined time, perhaps May-November. But the real time-killer for them is raising money, and I don't see a solution for that as long as your ad time is related to how much $$$ you raise.

1985 Honda VF1000R, 1990 Ducati 851, 2008 YZ450F
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburns2421 View Post
Electoral college could be broken up so that each block gets 10 votes or so (ie California would actually be four districts with 10 each or similar). Eliminating it is not the way to go, think the pandering is bad now, just wait until someone only has to get a majority in the whole country.

Two terms is tradition and shouldn't change, there are valid reasons to do it this way. The extended campaign season is a problem, which could be solved is campaigning only took place over a predetermined time, perhaps May-November. But the real time-killer for them is raising money, and I don't see a solution for that as long as your ad time is related to how much $$$ you raise.
bold
What are they? Tradition isn't a reason. It's an emotion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode