Exposing Romney's Lie About "You Didn't Build That" - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Exposing Romney's Lie About "You Didn't Build That"

PolitiFact | In context: Obama's

Obama:
"If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If youíve got a business -- you didnít build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didnít get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

Romney:
"Obama "said this; ĎIf you've got a business, you didn't build that."

Lying is a way of life on the right. Desperation already? In August?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

2002 Olympics - Who built that?

Critics: Romney didn

"Of course, Romney, too, had his own "you didn’t build that" moment, one that his opponent’s team is glad to point out. In heralding Olympic athletes’ accomplishments during the 2002 Games’ Opening Ceremony, Romney said that the Olympians "didn’t get here solely on your own power."

"For most of you, loving parents, sisters or brothers, encouraged your hopes, coaches guided, communities built venues in order to organize competitions," Romney said. "All Olympians stand on the shoulders of those who lifted them."

"No matter how well we did cutting costs and raising revenue, we couldn’t have Games without the support of the federal government," Romney says in his first book, Turnaround.
At the time, that assistance earned the wrath of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., who now supports Romney’s bid."

Ah, politics. Hypocrisy disguised as conviction.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 02:01 AM
...clink...!

keep believing in that hope and changey thing, moron ! LOL

nero
'06 999

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:44 PM

You forgot the first part:

"There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didnít -- look, if youíve been successful, you didnít get there on your own. You didnít get there on your own. Iím always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help.* There was a great teacher somewhere in your life.* Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive.* Somebody invested in roads and bridges.* If youíve got a business -- you didnít build that.* Somebody else made that happen.* The Internet didnít get invented on its own.* Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

Marx would be proud.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

^
So? Huh?
Marx?
WTF?

99.9% of business owners don't get there on their own. In fact, many even get all kinds of government provided support. Ever heard of the Small Business Administration? That's just one example of many.

The U.S. Small Business Administration | SBA.gov

Sometimes it seems like you luddites want to be more like Asskrakistan than a modern, first-world country.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 05:06 PM

The same roads and bridges lead to businesses that fail.

Obama's counting on you not being smart enough to figure that out.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:00 AM
...clink...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAduc View Post

With our resident turd-meister, those aren't long odds...

nero
'06 999
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
And your point is?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
And your point is?
My point has just been proven.
Thank you
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

bizarre behavior
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Some People Are Clueless...

...and they vote.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 04:24 AM

....and where does this GOV secure the funds that allow these things take place?

Ducfer
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducfer View Post
....and where does this GOV secure the funds that allow these things take place?

Notice the way small business has taken up the slack for corporations.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/brief...s/revenue.cfm/
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post

Notice the way small business has taken up the slack for corporations.

What are the federal government's sources of revenue?
Nice deflection.
The point was, government requires funds to implement any of the items that you have shown in your diagram. The obtain that be taxing various groups and entities. None of those facilities were possible without individuals and corporations funding them. Government merely decided what to do with the money they received and they generally did not do the work, they paid other individuals to do it.

Ducfer
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Nice deflection.
The point was, government requires funds to implement any of the items that you have shown in your diagram. The obtain that be taxing various groups and entities. None of those facilities were possible without individuals and corporations funding them. Government merely decided what to do with the money they received and they generally did not do the work, they paid other individuals to do it.
Right. You finally got to your point. But they either wouldn't get done without a central planning system or they would get done Mickey Mouse with no interconnection or symbiosis, etc. No government, is anarchy.
We're all free to decide how much central planning we need. It's open to discussion. But the notion going around that government is useless and nothing more than a parasite is ridiculous.
I'm familiar with several businesses and I'm not too impressed with how they run things. In fact, they have all been fairly disfunctional to one degree or another. So government is not the problem, human nature is the problem.
But I'd sure as hell agree that there is waste in government (and business), especially in State government pensions, me being from California. I'm not here to bang the drum for government. But I do like to stick it in the eye of Starve the Beast tea baggers and science-hating evangelicals, and the various other nutty factions. At this point in U.S. history that is what focuses my attention, mostly for social reasons. Fiscally, I'm rather conservative actually and used to be anti-union, etc. But Terry Sciavo put me over the edge and I'm ready to give the GOP the big ole finger in every way possible until they purge their lunacy. It's become a mission of sorts.
This "you didn't build that" BS is more nonsense. Yeah, I know both sides do it, but I'm not letting the GOP slide on anything these days. I'm pissed. The GOP seems to feel no need to solve anything these days unless it is totally on their terms. I like compromise. They are the do nothing party, except when it comes to never-ending tax cuts and deregulation - which always seems to strip us of wealth. I still can't get over Enron, for Christ's sake! And the S&L's, and mortgage-backed securities, and...
Used to be Pub, never been Dem, Independent is the sane thing to be. I think I'll run for office, not.

Last edited by Gnhtsg; 08-13-2012 at 03:25 AM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 PM

Ummm...I finally got to my point? No, you finally got my point after I spelled it out in my second post. You were already six posts in at that point, in this thread alone.

As to the rest of your post, it is one of your better ones. Thinking people don't promote anarchy and the more extreme fundamentalist Republican positions are as silly as the more extreme Democratic ones. I am not sure why the Teri Sciavo case would be your trigger, but will accept that. Church and State perspectives can often be at odds. That is why they were intentionally separated.

Obama's comment is being used out of context to make it more offensive, however even in context, his implication was that Government provided education, roads, etc. and that individuals benefitted from that at no cost to themselves. I would contend that while Government orchistrated those functions and facilities, they were paid for by individuals and corporations. To not recognize that is almost equally offensive and shows a blindness to the mutual support of one by the other.

Unbridled and unsustainable spending by the current administration (and the prior one) has resulted in the corporate and individual side of the relationship being more vocal about having to pay the bill. It is a perception of value for your dollar, and right now that value is weak.

Your frustration with banking and bailouts, while understandable, fails to place the blame where it lies. Bankers did exactly what was expected of them by the market and their shareholders in response to the laws imposed upon them. Look up the relationship of the repeal of Glass-Steagall, the expansion of the provisions of the Community Reinvestment Act and Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and you will see Congress's and the Clinton administration's fingerprints all over it. It was an incredible failure of governance which led to banks being very free with lending money to people who could not afford it. They did this to not lose their FDIC rating and because they could shed the risk to the markets through MBS's and CDO's. Free monetary policy led to a housing value bubble and when it reached the bursting point, a lot of people were hurt, directly and indirectly. Ultimately we are all paying the price, both in real terms and with a weak economy.

Ducfer
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ummm...I finally got to my point? No, you finally got my point after I spelled it out in my second post. You were already six posts in at that point, in this thread alone.

As to the rest of your post, it is one of your better ones. Thinking people don't promote anarchy and the more extreme fundamentalist Republican positions are as silly as the more extreme Democratic ones. I am not sure why the Teri Sciavo case would be your trigger, but will accept that. Church and State perspectives can often be at odds. That is why they were intentionally separated.

Obama's comment is being used out of context to make it more offensive, however even in context, his implication was that Government provided education, roads, etc. and that individuals benefitted from that at no cost to themselves. I would contend that while Government orchistrated those functions and facilities, they were paid for by individuals and corporations. To not recognize that is almost equally offensive and shows a blindness to the mutual support of one by the other.

Unbridled and unsustainable spending by the current administration (and the prior one) has resulted in the corporate and individual side of the relationship being more vocal about having to pay the bill. It is a perception of value for your dollar, and right now that value is weak.

Your frustration with banking and bailouts, while understandable, fails to place the blame where it lies. Bankers did exactly what was expected of them by the market and their shareholders in response to the laws imposed upon them. Look up the relationship of the repeal of Glass-Steagall, the expansion of the provisions of the Community Reinvestment Act and Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and you will see Congress's and the Clinton administration's fingerprints all over it. It was an incredible failure of governance which led to banks being very free with lending money to people who could not afford it. They did this to not lose their FDIC rating and because they could shed the risk to the markets through MBS's and CDO's. Free monetary policy led to a housing value bubble and when it reached the bursting point, a lot of people were hurt, directly and indirectly. Ultimately we are all paying the price, both in real terms and with a weak economy.
Yeah but those laws were not "imposed" on them. They crafted them. They got what they wanted from Washington and they joked about it all the way to the bank. We got hosed by a conspiracy between Washington and Wall Street.

There is a long thread about it here. I'll see if I can find it.

As far as Clinton goes, in signing the Glass-Steagall thing, I'm not sure he even knew what he was doing. That bit of genius was tacked onto the end of a looooooong omnibus spending bill. There is no way any president would have the time to read a long budget - not realistic. He should have known though, because he has people working for him, but I don't know the inside story to it. I'd like to know if anyone else does know. The usual suspects here surely would not. You know, congress often tacks things onto the end of other bills so they can pull a fast one on us. It makes sense that it passed through without anyone realising the implications. But whatever, Clinton got his dick sucked and he can take some of the blame as far as I'm concerned. But the ones who wrote that crap should be crucified. Two were Republican and one was as Dem, if memory serves.

Last edited by Gnhtsg; 08-14-2012 at 03:39 AM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

This is not the long thread that I mentioned but post #2 is one that I copied from the long thread into this shorter thread. I'm tired and this should suffice for now. I'm done and am going to go get some.

https://www.speedzilla.com/forums/war...low-money.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode